Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apexi N1 V Coilovers Simple Fitting Guide

Anees

Hi,

I am having Apexi N1 V Coilovers fitted on Saturday :D :D and from what I have read the Apexis are a pain in the backside to setup properly so they don't knock.

Thanks for the advice from Neil, Mike, Paul and Am over the past few months regarding these coilovers.

I was just hoping for some advice that I can give to the fitter (Steve at Charlesworth Motors) so that it makes his job easier.

I have read Neil's (MacRS200) thread on how he fixed the knocking and I do not really understand it properly. :unsure: I have printed it out and will send it to Steve before hand so he gets a chance to read it but its 17 pages printed and I doubt he is going to have time to read all that! :ph34r:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=25192

I was just after some basic advice so that he can understand how to adjust them properly. I will print this thread out and also take it with me on Saturday (did I mention the garage was a reading club too :lol: ) I'm sure the diagrams will be very useful.

I do not really want to lower the car more then it is now initially. It is - 30mm all round at the moment so I just want to keep it that way for now.

(VERY OLD PIC :blush: )

lexus%20005.jpg

Hopefully the coilovers should stop my issues where if I have too much weight in the back the ride height gets really low and the bottom can scrape :crybaby:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...topic=24839&hl=

The coilovers should handle the weight much better and I'd like the ride height set :D

What about dampening adjustment? I know the Apexi's have 13 points of dampenig adjustment and I will definetly be going towards the "soft" settings - maybe softest if possible.

Any advice to make Steve's job easier is appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Anees

You will reap the benefits of coilovers, handling will be improved 200%!

Damping wise, if you go upto 3/4 of the way you might hear some knocking but other than that tune it till your happy.

Apexis have almost 30 point adjustment on the damping aswell lol

You won't have any issues on a normal kind of drop like 30mm, get them on and set them up as Neils shown in the other thread, pretty simple stuff!

Anees, any coilovers, not just the Apexi's have to be set up correctly.

I'm still having a few knocks with mine and will get around to finally sorting them out soon!

But you are along the right lines and Neil Mac's thread is the best information available. It's all about measuring the distance with no load on each corner and then measuring the same when the car is down. This will give you the total distance of travel, and from this measurement you should be able to adjust the coil so that the dampener sits in the middle of the upper and lower limits. Look at the diagram on post 28 - the one in the middle is what you are aiming for.

With regard to the front adjustable dampening, there are 16 clockwise clicks which give you maximum damening i.e. harder ride. So 8 clicks anticlockwise will give you 50%

Hope this helps.

In that thread the first diagram I did (post 20) the middle one is what you are aiming at, and in the second one (post 28) it is the right hand one. All a bit messy in that thread.

Anees - I will tidy it all up tonight and get it down to one clear post with a diagram. As a starter I would pre-load the springs by about 10mm, eg 10mm shorter than their free length, and then adjust the ride height to what you want using the bottom mount adjustment. From memory my rear struts are 510mm from the underside of the top mount to the centre of the wishbone bolt, that is a drop of about 50mm from standard.

:o

What did you hit Am?

Mine gets raised to the high heavens on Saturday, will feel strange driving home on standard suspension and rollbars :lol:

Looking forward to seeing yours on Saturday Imi, those HKS are incredible kit, experienced them in Mat's white car, as for the Apexi's, I was amazed how forgiving and soft they were even at the hardest setting - sure my TTE's are a harder ride than the Apexi's? You definitely feel the road more anyway!

Imi, the coilovers should be the same installation as any others, they are on the height I had them on the car now, I believe the damping is set to the softest right now. I couldn't go any lower on them as the driveway is steep and it bottomed out a couple of times so that was the final height I settled for.

i'll look for the instructions but like I said they are in japanese so they offer little help.

i also don't understand the pre-load stuff so maybe you guys will set them up properly!

important thing is no knocking! :winky:

What did you hit Am?

Mine gets raised to the high heavens on Saturday, will feel strange driving home on standard suspension and rollbars :lol:

Lol! Your probably going to be as low as I will be with the coilovers! :P

I'll be with you Gord :lol:

A certain gentleman is bringing me up after lunchtime :D

So your going to be there after lunchtime mate? Imi and myself were sort of planning to be there early (at about 10am) :blush: so that hopefully things can be sorted by about 6pm if possible. :D

Good lad :lol:

I think Imi and Anees will be going home very happy boys :lol:

I hope so!! :D

In that thread the first diagram I did (post 20) the middle one is what you are aiming at, and in the second one (post 28) it is the right hand one. All a bit messy in that thread.

Anees - I will tidy it all up tonight and get it down to one clear post with a diagram. As a starter I would pre-load the springs by about 10mm, eg 10mm shorter than their free length, and then adjust the ride height to what you want using the bottom mount adjustment. From memory my rear struts are 510mm from the underside of the top mount to the centre of the wishbone bolt, that is a drop of about 50mm from standard.

Much appreciated Neil! :D Your THE MAN!! :P

I'm picking those spanners up tomorrow mate, guess it will take a couple of hours to get the coils swapped and mounted, my car is going to bethere a few days so you'll see it standard before I do :o

You mean you aren't dropping it to the floor mate :o

I'm picking those spanners up tomorrow mate, guess it will take a couple of hours to get the coils swapped and mounted, my car is going to bethere a few days so you'll see it standard before I do :o

You mean you aren't dropping it to the floor mate :o

Thanks mate.

Er..I don't have these "low fetishes" like Am and yourself! Just sticking with - 30mm all round for now :P Remember that I still have the chasis braces on the car so cannot go too low - might even take them off at some stage, but they are really nice. :D Got too many speed bumps to negotiate to go really low. :ph34r:

Your comments on the Apexi's being really smooth is great! But I have found that everyones car seems better then mine when I am in the passenger seat! :whistling:

Your comments on the Apexi's being really smooth is great! But I have found that everyones car seems better then mine when I am in the passenger seat!  :whistling:

:lol:

If you get that charger you're phishing for yours will be just as good if not better :winky:

The Apexi's are a great ride though - I was very pleasantly surprised :D

What did you hit Am?

Looking forward to seeing yours on Saturday Imi, those HKS are incredible kit, experienced them in Mat's white car, as for the Apexi's, I was amazed how forgiving and soft they were even at the hardest setting - sure my TTE's are a harder ride than the Apexi's? You definitely feel the road more anyway!

Ramp and getting out of a dealers store few weeks ago, the entire car lifted up it was hardly a big bump either.

Resize%20of%20Picture%20046.jpg

Resize%20of%20Picture%20041.jpg

That might explain why though?

:lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links