Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Eng Light + Flashig Trc Light

GALLA_4

OK guys came out of work tonight and put the car in second gear and put the foot down! Same old scenario as mentioned above. Engine Mgmt light on and TRC flashing! More worryingly the car wouldn't start back up again for over a minute and a half. It reluctantly started then after that and I had to crawl home about 30mph afraid to put the foot down for fear of being stranded.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me too, and I'm sure it was solid soldering work by The Don ;) (I'm an EE too and really thourough with that too).

I'd like to point out that the car was running well under boost before, and still does between "limp home mode" fits. This surely must mean the ECU extension is wired up correctly, and that it works most of the time (still). Without the ECU extension the CEL would flash and it would go in limp mode every time under boost conditions.

In my case, TTE were very quick to suggest the ECU extension was faulty - but then it had completely died eventually (engine stopping right after starting, running only after removing ECU extension).

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Yes the soldering was very well executed! even though the soldering iron owen bought randomly decided when to be hot!!

Although im not responsible for the insulation tape, lol!!! :)

OK guys came out of work tonight and put the car in second gear and put the foot down! Same old scenario as mentioned above. Engine Mgmt light on and TRC flashing! More worryingly the car wouldn't start back up again for  over a minute and a half. It reluctantly started then after that and I had to crawl home about 30mph afraid to put the foot down for fear of being stranded.

thats a typical scenario i have experienced with the ECU getting an incorrect signal for the pressure, i would make 200% sure that the piggy back ECU is correctly installed and that all connections are properly done ( no offense to chris) as u might havea dry joint somewhere.

bet the the lights ONLY come on when u put ur foot down?

OK guys came out of work tonight and put the car in second gear and put the foot down! Same old scenario as mentioned above. Engine Mgmt light on and TRC flashing! More worryingly the car wouldn't start back up again for  over a minute and a half. It reluctantly started then after that and I had to crawl home about 30mph afraid to put the foot down for fear of being stranded.

As I said many posts ago - I had exactly the same problem a trillion times. Its a faulty ECU....

All I can do is wait for TTE to send me out a new ECU. And when it arrives double check the wires when installing it.

I just remembered something there that was done prior to all this fiasco happening. I was at a car show and was showing the engine bay and when I was revving it up someone pointed out to me that the throttle cable to the butterfly valve looked not tight. My brother tightened up the nuts on the throttle cable near the butterfly valve. What tightness should they be? I am thinking maybe they are too tight and making it hard for the servo to pull?

All I can do is wait for TTE to send me out a new ECU. And when it arrives double check the wires when installing it.

I just remembered something there that was done prior to all this fiasco happening. I was at a car show and was showing the engine bay and when I was revving it up someone pointed out to me that the throttle cable to the butterfly valve looked not tight. My brother tightened up the nuts on the throttle cable near the butterfly valve. What tightness should they be? I am thinking maybe they are too tight and making it hard for the servo to pull?

this is the reason i asked about the cable - i spoke with TTE about this and was advised that the nuts should be in the middle section of the adjuster - OR IT MAY CAUSE THROTTLE MOTOR problems!

it doesnt matter if it "looks slack" as long as it does the job then its fine

Those on the supercharger end are at the wrong end of the metal and will need moving to the back of the thread like in Rob's pic mate.

I tried mine in the middle and have to admit the car didn't seem as though it came onto boost as early and I had to put my foot to the floor for it to really kick in....

Good luck :D

Yes Addie

Mine was like that up until last Sunday when we tightened it up thinking there was too much slack on it. Now mine at the moment is very tight and staight. It doesn't have that kink like in Robs pic!!

Would this cause the "P1128 Throttle Motor Lock Malfuction" error that Lexus diagnosed from the ECU error memory?

It would all make sense. But would this however cause the CEL and TRC light to flash and then the car not be able to start for a few seconds afterwards? SAFE MODE?

Yeah it should mate, Owen's has been adjusted to the wrong end of the thread, easy mistake to make when you've not got anything there to compare it to :D

Yeah possibly could cause that Owen, just get a little spanner and adjust it, dead easy, easier with two but it can be done with one, think it's a 10mm but can't remember off the top of my head, dead easy to adjust, just undo the back bolt and move that to the other end of the thread and then do the same with the front bolt until the assembly is locked into place at the back :)

Even I can do that bit :D

what spring do u have? it looks like the older style spring ( the sort u would expect to find in a ball point pen).

i wiuld suggest moving the adjuster to the opposite end and also checking that the bypass valve moves freely - just move it with your finger.

you can simulate the motor failure: with the ignition on so u have the warning lights etc but NOT with the engine running!!

hold the arm for the supercharger cable that is on the throttle body, now with your other hand, move the bit on the throttle body that the actual throttle cable attaches to ( the bit with the spring). the arm will start to move, but once it reaches a certain level of resistance( i dont know the level) it will disconnect.

having the cable as u have it can cause the motor fail code you are having. the nuts are 10mm BTW

i will dig up an old thread i saw earlier might give u a bit more info

I have the old type of spring! But TTE posted me out the new upgraded spring which I recieved yesterday. I didn't want to put it on till I got this all sorted out!

The new spring I have recieved is like one you would see on a mouse trap.

Rob it actually did it in 3rd gear this morning but mostly in 2nd. It seems if you put your foot down quickly, as in give it a bit of welly, the accelerator kinda like "pops" back at you! and you kinda free wheeling with lights on the dash on. If you put foot back on accelerator nothing happens.

If you just accelerator progressively and easy theres no bother at all.

i would first adjust the bypass cable and change the spring ( which you should do anyway) and then see what happens - as you have the fault code this should be the obvious reason.

if after adjustiing the cable the same happens exchange the ECU

here are the posts i found:

POST 1

POST2

have a search for BYPASS and u will find a lot of posts where people have had trouble in the past

Guys I dont want to tempt fate but I think I am sorted!! Adjusted the throttle cable at the bypass valve area of the SC (like in Robs pic) albeit I didn't have a spanner, but I will tighten it up when I get home with a little spanner. Eng Mgt light went off and TRC light went off. Popped her in 2nd put foot down and she was laughing at me as if to say is that all you got! Popped her into 3rd with that beautiful "shhhhh" noise. Floored it in 3rd and she was gaggin for more accelerator.

This would so make sense with the Lexus error code P1128 Throttle Control Lock Malfunction. The servo was pulling the bypass throttle and was coming up againgst to much resistance and kinda said "Feck This" and would assume the servo was jammed! I will tidy up the ECU area aswell and better insulate the soldered joints! But it looks like the ECU was wired in right after all!!

Heres some pics of the bypass cable now after adjustment back to the way it was.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links