Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

More Import Woes

IanF

With the model report finally available, I sent in my application for ESVA last week.

This morning, I received a rejection letter from VOSA - the jap de-reg doc doesn't include the "Model Designate" or "Classification" numbers. According to the bloke on the phone, this is usually done if the car is modified (mine had a new exhaust), and makes the model report null and void for certain ESVA requirements (brakes and seatbelt anchorages)

My only option would be to have the missing parts retested at a UK test lab.

Is this correct? - surely modified cars coming into the country are not that rare?

I'm loosing hair over all this......

Ian

Yep, Dave is right.

I remember speaking to Scott at ASP about this, and he said it had to be totally std to pass.

I know it has to be completely standard to get through the UK ESVA, but I was under the impression that it is OK to import a modified car, and then take the mods off to get it back to standard for the test.

Apparently the Model Designate numbers are taken off the de-reg doc if the car no longer matches the formal resistered car type (ie it's been modifed)

Don't talk to me about ASP - it was about 14 months ago that Scott imported this bl**dy motor for me, with his claims that it would be no problem to get registered. I'm still here with an unregistered car, one problem following another, and Scott has given up answering his phone.

mate,

Could you go the Irish route and get it registered here. Then you could get your insurance company to insure an irish car OR register it back to English reg. Do they still esva test the car then.. The only problem in registering an irish car is the VRT... Pure balls. But its better than not having a registered car.

Sean

mate,

Could you go the Irish route and get it registered here. Then you could get your insurance company to insure an irish car OR register it back to English reg. Do they still esva test the car then.. The only problem in registering an irish car is the VRT... Pure balls. But its better than not having a registered car.

Sean

Cheers, but I've already looked into that - if it's registered overseas there is a limited amount of time until you have to get it registerd in the UK (6 months I think?), and you need a name and address to have it registered to in Ireland (I don't have any friend/relatives who would suit).

Plus, it will still need ESVAing, even if it comes in from Ireland - it is still an non-EU approved import.

At the end of the day, I'm right up poo-poo creek.

Is this the qualitat that Scott was selling a while back. How much is it standing you?. If you want i might get someone to take it off your hands. Also if you want to use my address your more than welcome. Id like to help out a fellow altezza owner.

Sean

what is different to the standard one?

maybe we could borrow bits off other cras.

or for those that have modified theirs, they may have standard bits lying around

sure we could all group together and help u out mate

Thanks mate - I'm very touched by the support of everybody one here.

However the problem is bureaucracy - because the paperwork doesn't have the right numbers on it, VOSA refuse to believe the car is what it is - and want extra testing to be performed. I've just found the cost will be another 2K if I want to go through with it.

Basically I've been sold a right pile of trouble by AltezzaSport and Fecking Prestige (which is ironic, cos the car is absolutely bloody lovely).

Ian

what is different to the standard one?

maybe we could borrow bits off other cras.

or for those that have modified theirs, they may have standard bits lying around

sure we could all group together and help u out mate

Thanks mate - I'm very touched by the support of everybody one here.

However the problem is bureaucracy - because the paperwork doesn't have the right numbers on it, VOSA refuse to believe the car is what it is - and want extra testing to be performed. I've just found the cost will be another 2K if I want to go through with it.

Basically I've been sold a right pile of trouble by AltezzaSport and Fecking Prestige (which is ironic, cos the car is absolutely bloody lovely).

Ian

small claims court?

too much for small claims

so what about if ur car is modified back to orginal spec...well the original they want to see?

The problem is the lack of 'official' model number on the jap document - presumably the numbers were revoked in Japan because of the mods, but I don't really understand why.

The only thing I can think of is that the Qualitat 'package' is an aftermarket upgrade, like the Ford Racing Puma - ie a standard RS200 is delivered to Qualitat, who do the upgrade and then send it back for sale. The car is then no longer a 'proper' RS200, so it looses the 'official' RS200 model number.

So the only way to get the correct number would be to return the car to Japan, put it back to normal RS200 spec, get it re-registered, and then export it again. :unsure:

All in all, I'm stuffed.

Does anybody in Ireland want a wonderful example of a Qualitat Altezza? Make me an offer....

Ian

I will have an ask about for you over here in Ireland aswell!

My brother might be interested!!!!!!!

If you remember I advertised it for you on an Irish car site for a while.

Scott asked me to try help you out a couple of months ago.

Owen

qualitat is only a version, very much like.....an M tec /M series bmw....

there all made at the same time, just different parts are added, to make them more sellable/special

look at the vin plate under the bonnet, that should tell you if it is designated differently

Edited by Monster-Mat

the problem may well be as the qualitat is a limited edition run, there may be no specific model number, i will ask a few friends in Toyota to dig up some info if they can

Edited by Monster-Mat

the problem may well be as the qualitat is a limited edition run, there may be no specific model number, i will ask a few friends in Toyota to dig up some info if they can

Yeah thanks - that would be really useful.

The guy from VOSA did say that if Toyota would put it in writing that this car complies with the same regs as a normal Altezza, that would also do the job.

Yeah thanks - that would be really useful.

The guy from VOSA did say that if Toyota would put it in writing that this car complies with the same regs as a normal Altezza, that would also do the job.

if that is the case, try writing to toyota, your problem though, is that the car is the 4 cylinder which has never been officially sold here.

i will speak to someone.

i will need some details of the car though!

***! that car is sooo nice and it would be a shame to let it go after the long hard time you've had with it.

I really hope you do get it registered and on the road - I'm sure everyone here will do what they can to help.

Hopefully Mat will come out trumps with the Toyota dudes.

Good luck and do update us :)

Ian

I will have an ask about for you over here in Ireland aswell!

My brother might be interested!!!!!!!

If you remember I advertised it for you on an Irish car site for a while.

Scott asked me to try help you out a couple of months ago.

Owen

Owen I Got you mail , the car is to die for really beautiful , but its to old for me .

Ian : mate Im really sorry that your are having these problem Owen (GALLA4)

has told me the story. Just a suggestion , why dont you try and approch some of the jap car

impoters and garages here in ireland directly with the car , Jap imports are starting to get popular here agian and more over performace version ( the pimp my ride culture) . the money you are looking for doent seem to be massive , to give you an idea a local dealer here in Limerick had

a 98-99 Altezza on the forecourt for 19k euro and the car was "ok" , point here is your car with irish VRT and dealer margin would put it on a forecourt at a fair price. Perhaps Owen might be able ot help here , also we have a new mag here "modified motors" its like an irish version of Max power but the birds are not as nice ... and we have an autotrader both publisications have section for jap perfromace sales and also have ad's from the Irish jap car dealers .. perhaps an ad in one of these ? if you like i can pop a few copies in the post to you to give you an idea

Once again mate sorry your having all this trouble .. if the car was newer i would jump at it

(not newer to to a flash git on my part) but i run my car through my company and there are finace issue with older machine's . I will be changing in the new year and am in the middle of deciding on a 3 seriers or a is250 but Im sure that we kit of a new debate

Cheers

Barry

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links