Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Judder

My car has been sitting on the drive for 3 weeks, then I finally drove it today and it has developed a judder in the steering wheel at around 60mph. It was fine the last time I drove it - any ideas on what's caused this whilst the car was stationary?!

Cheers

Amanda

My car has been sitting on the drive for 3 weeks, then I finally drove it today and it has developed a judder in the steering wheel at around 60mph. It was fine the last time I drove it - any ideas on what's caused this whilst the car was stationary?!

Cheers

Amanda

Hvae you checked the tyre pressures all round ?

Cheers

Amanda

sounds like you have curbed it at 30mph or something. Get your car re-balanced!!!

No, it hasn't been kerbed - it was absolutely fine when I left it three weeks ago(and we live in the country, roads don't have many kerbs round here, thankfully!). It's just been parked on the drive (slight sideways slope) since, and not moved at all.

I had the wheels balanced a couple of weeks before that, can weights fall off?! (I know, probably a stupid question :blush: )

Haven't checked the tyre pressures, they 'look' OK, no obvious flats - how much difference would there have to be in tyre inflation to cause this?

The judder is much more noticeable at 60mph, it seems fine at 30mph - bit annoying when most of my journey to work is 60mph. I suppose the obvious thing to do is check the tyres, then get it balanced, yet again.

Cheers

Amanda

Tyre pressures "looking OK" is not enough, check them.

Also parked on a "slight sideways slope" for 3 weeks with low pressures could have caused a slight deformation of the tyres causing a bit of "run out".

Only a thought

I know "looking" at the tyres isn't enough - it was peeing down with rain at the time (it does that a lot here in Wales) and I was on my way to work!!

I hope the tyres haven't bulged, they're only about 6 weeks old all round :crybaby:

I seem to be back and fore to tyre /tracking places a lot with this car, is it unusually prone to tracking / balancing problems? I had the tracking done twice in seven years on my Corolla, it was rock solid. The roads around here are pretty awful in places, but there aren't any huge potholes.

Maybe a visit to Dr Bones is called for - if only it weren't so far from here!

Amanda

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links