Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Wipers Knocking

Mutley

I have a small problem with my IS200 Sport.

I love the car, but as soon as it starts to rain i'm forced to stay at 60 or below.

As soon as i do go over 60 the windscreen wipers start to knock on the side of the windscreen.

Any body else have this problem?

They seem to be seated in the correct postion but the extra force from the wind pushes the windscreen wipers that little bit further to make them hit the side of the widescreen.

The drivers side windscreen wiper does have a wind shield on it which i assume comes as standard, this seems to me to be whats catching the wind and pushing it that bit to far, but if it was made that way then shouldn't it be ok like that?

Any thoughts welcome.

dont know about the "best" but i cant say they were bad!  it was the halfords own that caused the knocking on mine, was at about 50 mph

on a windy day with some heavy rain they can start knocking at 40mph

a real pain.

happyly racing home down the motorway then it starts raining.

then its either put up with the knocking or slow right down.

Very same happened to me for the first time the other night driving home....... I thought one of the clips for the wiper refill had come undone or something and to be honest completely forgot about it ever since.......... just reading the original post it struck me thats what it was cos it only happened at higher speed :huh:

Mine does the same beyond 40mph and I have Toyota wipers that seem to be in good condition and do the job properly but I know what you mean, drives you nuts after a while and it's embarrassing if someone's in the car with you. Do the Bosch wipers come with wind deflectors?

Mine does the same beyond 40mph and I have Toyota wipers that seem to be in good condition and do the job properly but I know what you mean, drives you nuts after a while and it's embarrassing if someone's in the car with you. Do the Bosch wipers come with wind deflectors?

I think I might try some wipers without the wind deflectors as i'm sure the winds cathing them and pushing them over. no wind deflectors nothing for the wind to blow on.

well something like that.

My original set started knocking so I changed to Bosch which cured the problem. When these needed changing due to streaking I decided on Champion. Now after a couple of months these have started knocking so its back to Bosch.

I had the same problem when I bought a second hand IS. I asked one of the guys at the service desk and he came out, twisted the whole wiper assembly once and that was it. Hasn't come back once in two and a half years even though I've changed the wipers. Not entirely sure what he did :huh: , but I assume it's to do with the angle at which the wipers are being held on rather than the wipers themselves. All wipers have a little play (usually less with better quality wipers) but if it's too much it will knock on the windscreen. If the angle at which they are held is out then the wind deflectors hit the windscreen with the natural play. This is obviously made worse at speed by pressure on the deflectors.

Hope this is useful...

I had the same problem when I bought a second hand IS.  I asked one of the guys at the service desk and he came out, twisted the whole wiper assembly once and that was it.  Hasn't come back once in two and a half years even though I've changed the wipers.  Not entirely sure what he did  :huh: , but I assume it's to do with the angle at which the wipers are being held on rather than the wipers themselves.  All wipers have a little play (usually less with better quality wipers) but if it's too much it will knock on the windscreen.  If the angle at which they are held is out then the wind deflectors hit the windscreen with the natural play.  This is obviously made worse at speed by pressure on the deflectors.

Hope this is useful...

we had exactly the same,; it was like a whack on the drivers side wiper downstroke, always at higher speed/heavier rain/wind.

Drove us to utter distraction, but Lexus Leicester sorted it out by the same method--either it had "come loose" or just needed realigning.

Give it an ickle twist and it should be ok :driving:

we had exactly the same,; it was like a whack on the drivers side wiper downstroke, always at higher speed/heavier rain/wind.

Drove us to utter distraction, but Lexus Leicester sorted it out by the same method--either it had "come loose" or just needed realigning.

Give it an ickle twist and it should be ok :driving:

might try that tonight. just hope i don't twist it to far.

mind if the wiper came off it would sort the problem, but cause a second.

Just thought I'd add my tuppence worth........fitted Bosch blades the other week after I picked my car, no problem at all at any speeds with them. I've only used Halfords blades on my past cars, but have to say the Bosch ones do seem a lot better.

Keith

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links