Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

S/c More Niggles

Before I start sorry for the poor sound effects but they sound right in my head :P

After getting my ecu replaced with a spanking new one the car was running spot on again. Anway too good to be true. Yesterday when I changed down a gear there was a "wwhhooooommmmmmm" sound like what I presume a s/c induction kit would sound like. So I took it to the garage and sure enough a pipe had come away from the rubber holding secured by the clamp just a bit loose - no problem, it happens. So after tightening it back up and heading out on my merry way I changed down gear and got a massive "scrrreassshhhhhh" a bit like a very fast spurt of air. So took it back to the garage. They've looked at it today and said that they think the supercharger is over boasting and that the pipe just keeps blowing off from the housing and the pipe is very hot.

Any ideas if this would be caused by the bypass spring not functioning or possibly the precats melting as I can't imagine it's a problem with the S/C unit itself as it's still hardly broken in?

precats will cause an ecu error and light up your dash

by pass spring closes the valve, if it failed it would be left in the open position

not sure if the supercharger can over boost, doubt it and have never heard of it yet

which pipe is it ?

how hot is it getting ?

any pics ?

what clips are you using

try micalor ones, they are far superior to the cheap jubilee type ones

Nice one.

Said it's the pipe closest to the unit itself. Said the pipe was getting very hot (sorry not much help), no piccies (sorry again). Mentioned the bypass spring to him and he got excited, and I've not heard from him since, seemingly gone home :huh: . Would the bypass spring not working cause a build up of pressure causing the pipe to blow off and heat up?

Ta, Miles

Yep, that's what the garage said. The guy reckons he's got loads of spare pipes lying around that he could use. Where do you get the uprated clips? Also is it worth getting the uprated attachments from Dave at ProLex?

Ta, Miles

Yep, that's what the garage said.  The guy reckons he's got loads of spare pipes lying around that he could use.  Where do you get the uprated clips?  Also is it worth getting the uprated attachments from Dave at ProLex?

Ta, Miles

Yes Dave sell's them, different colours too, not sure on clips :question: you could ask bazza where he got his from :D

Nice one.

.  Would the bypass spring not working cause a build up of pressure causing the pipe to blow off and heat up?

Ta, Miles

no , not unless it was in the closed position which by default should not be, it is pulled against the spring to close the by pass

even if the spring was not functioning the pressure would open the by pass valve

the heat is more likely to be from the closeness of the manifold

i assume that you are talking about the smallest diameter pipe that comes out the side of the SC?

Firstly the air coming out of the SC and also thru heat from the manifold is at a temp of about 70C so all pipe work will be fairly hot.

The SC can not over boost, with the bypass valve closed and at max rpm the sc only produces 0.3bar.

it is more like the connecting tube between the pipe and the bypass valve is a bit short or the pipe clips are not on properly

if u search on here for bypass there are loads of posts with pictures of the bypass assy and also the new style of spring - which is free BTW ( have heard a few accounts of some sellers charging for the spring kit and also the clutch relocation kit)

@Gord :D If I can find a car that could compare to the S/C'd Is then I'd probably sell. Although the wife wants me to get something more reliable....best start looking at volvo's!!! :lol::lol::lol:

@Rob, nice one mate. Did originally do a search for 'bypass spring' and came up with loads of posts with 'spring' that wasn't related to the charger so gave up. :D Some of them older posts are really helpful and if the garage can't sort it they'll at least have photos to guide them.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Ta, Miles

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links