Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

A couple of days ago I noticed strange noise which was eminating from the nearside rear of the car while parked in traffic. It sounded like a grinding noise as if I had rusty brakes. While I'm driving I can't hear it, but while in traffic it comes and goes.

The car drives fine (I think) but I was wondering whether it could be the fuel pump. :crybaby:

I was wondering whether any other GS 300 or any other Lexus owners have had the same problem?

Any advice gratefully recieved. :)

Hi,

Could be a sticky brake caliper and the pads run down to the metal of the brake pad :unsure:

Or the rear pads are wearing low...

Could also be worth checking between the rear disc and the metal guard that protects the disc,you might find a piece of gravel/small stone is stuck between the two causing the noise now and again.

Good luck.

Let us know what was causing it.

Cheers chips.

Hi,

From my experience with cars electric pumps work or dont work,normally you here them buzz before the engine starts..tricky one to give advice about without seeing the car.If the engine runs fine and theres no loss of power anywhere id say its not the fuel pump.

Thanks Chips,

I don't think it's the brakes as the car is stationary and in park without the brake or rear brakes on. It's very confusing. Could it be the fuel pump abou to give up the ghost???

How many miles has the car done ? if the fuel filter is partially blocked it could make the pump noisey, but i'm guessing that's in the tank.

Thanks Chips,

I don't think it's the brakes as the car is stationary and in park without the brake or rear brakes on. It's very confusing. Could it be the fuel pump abou to give up the ghost???

How many miles has the car done ? if the fuel filter is partially blocked it could make the pump noisey, but i'm guessing that's in the tank.

There no loss of power, but theN again I've only had the car for two months and my previous car was a 2.0 litre Vectra (don't laugh).

The car has done 96k. I have completed a part service (gearbox and engine oil and filter) but I'll take your advice and change the fuel filter.

Would anyone know where the fuel filter is and how it can be changes (I hope its's not in the fuel tank)

fuel filter is (if its a mk1) just in front of the rear passenger wheel arch, under car there is a aluminuim heat shield kind o thing, held on with 4 10mm bolts

filter is behind that, simple enough job, but be warned get ready for fuel everywhere :) get ur stuff ready for the swap over, you wont have time to mess with it, i undid the 10mm bolt holding it inplace then undid the main fuel lines then ragged it out and stuck the new one in, total time 5 minutes, then 5 hours stinking of petrol :)

Hiya...

Its not the fuel pump as its in the tank directly behind the rear seats.. Only suggestion i can tell you about the pump that if the car is left parked up for a long while and no petrol in it the pump will rust up with the condensation in the tank... However good news is that u can take the pump apart and put it back together again with a bit of work... It a high pressure pump so watch if your taking it out...

It a complete nightmare to get at the pump mind u...

With thanks

Hi,

When I bought the car, which is a MkII, it had been stood for 4 months and therefore I presume it could be rusted. The noise is from the near side rear wheel arch. From what has been said, noting the car has been stood for 4 months, it could be the fuel pump!!!, if the fuel pump is situated near the rear nearside of the car.

Would anyone know whether the fuel pump is situated in the fuel tank on the nearside of the cara and if so, how much would it cost to replace??

Any ideas folks??

Many Thanks

Hi,

When I bought the car, which is a MkII, it had been stood for 4 months and therefore I presume it could be rusted. The noise is from the near side rear wheel arch. From what has been said, noting the car has been stood for 4 months, it could be the fuel pump!!!, if the fuel pump is situated near the rear nearside of the car.

Would anyone know whether the fuel pump is situated in the fuel tank on the nearside of the cara and if so, how much would it cost to replace??

Any ideas folks??

Many Thanks

:angry:

Sounds to me like brake calliper aswel. I had same sort of problem that got worse over time. When you stop on a slight hill does the car roll without the handbreak? As if it does not it sounds the same as mine and the inside pad is sticking on. You may also get a slight shuder on heavy braking

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links