Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help - Altezza Smoking Sometimes

ZedT3

is the smoke from the exhaust, when you say pushing it, is the smoke constant, or a puff on gear change

It happens when I am flooring it. :blink:

Hi,

Have you removed the CAT from the exhaust?

Maybe a oil change also might help or a slightly thicker grade or,sorry not sure of what grade oil that used on the IS.

Car is still stock...not have to start modding it. But I haven't removed anything at all.

I'm with Mat on this one, if it's when you lift off the throttle probably rings or bore.

Other possibilty is blocked crankcase breather.

What is that?

a crankcase breather is a small vent which normally has a small non sealing cap or carbon filter on the end that allows venting of the crankcase ( the lower part of the engine where your engine oil sits). If the vent is blocked pressure can build up in the crankcase.

no idea where it is on the altezza, but shouldnt be too hard to see

Like there saying the rocket top breather pipe could be blocked.

http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/emi..._breather5f.jpg

Only pics i could find so its not your engine but the breather pipe will come from the top of the engine which is red in the pic,see the pipe coming from it,about the size/thickness of a mans finger..

breather pipe picture below

http://www.toolmanweb.com/scimitar/Images/Imgp0849resize.jpg

Like they say above that will make the engine smoke,be worth checking the engine oil level as well ;) case its low.

Hope thats of some help.

As it would appear that you get no smoke on the over-run I am assuming that the bores/rings are OK.

Like Chips I don't know exactly how the breathing works on the 3S-GE, never had to dig into that. Mat C is the man who would know :D

The crankcase probably breathes via the cam cover, so first thing to check is the pipe shown below this is the cam cover breather. If you do a lot of short runs condensation can cause a "milky" gunge to build up causing a blockage.

3sge.jpg

Have you looked at the pipe in the post above your last one?

That cable is clear and free! Nothing blocking it at all... :crybaby:

Cable? It's a pipe that runs from under the engine cover into the induction just infront of the throttle body. Sounds like you were looking at the throttle cable!

Have you looked at the pipe in the post above your last one?

That cable is clear and free! Nothing blocking it at all... :crybaby:

Cable? It's a pipe that runs from under the engine cover into the induction just infront of the throttle body. Sounds like you were looking at the throttle cable!

Sorry, did not mean to use the word cable, I have looked at the rubber tubing/pipe you speak of and I have even borrowed a friends' and put it on and tried it, same problem....I am at my wits end...car has only done 61000 kilometres, I would hate to think it wants an engine rebuild so soon...

nope, its not head gasket, if anything, worn rings, or valve stem seals, but im leaning more to worn rings

Is there any way I can verify that this might be the problem without pulling down, would any of the guages show anything is wrong? :blink:

nope, its not head gasket, if anything, worn rings, or valve stem seals, but im leaning more to worn rings

Is there any way I can verify that this might be the problem without pulling down, would any of the guages show anything is wrong? :blink:

The normal gauges will not tell you anything, you need to do a compression test.

Worn rings will show up as low compression but I would be surprised to find that in an engine with only 38,000 miles on it. That's providing it has not suffered from lack of lubrication at some point.

Also I did say that a blocked breather was only a possible, I will try to find out more on how the crankcase breathes on the 3S-GE. I will post up what I find out unless Mat or anyone else comes back sooner.

The normal gauges will not tell you anything, you need to do a compression test.

Worn rings will show up as low compression but I would be surprised to find that in an engine with only 38,000 miles on it. That's providing it has not suffered from lack of lubrication at some point.

Also I did say that a blocked breather was only a possible, I will try to find out more on how the crankcase breathes on the 3S-GE. I will post up what I find out unless Mat comes back sooner.

I appreciate any help I can get, so thank you for your time and energy helping me. B)

Have you checked engine oil level?

How much oil is the engine using if any?

How often are you topping the oil up?

What grade oil are you using?

chips.

Oil level is good.

Not sure how much its using, no vast amount of wastage showing.

Problem only started recently, so haven't started topping up oil as yet.

30w oil

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links