Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Sensors

tyrrp

I am very happy with my new car and the dealer is going to be re-doing the rear bumper next week and a general detailing as well as part of the deal.

I would like to keep it as good as possible for as long as possible.

However, my wife will be driving the car the odd time and she does not have a very good reversing record. She has parking sensors on her current car (BMW 318 auto) and hasn't had any bumps yet so I think I should put something on this one also.

Anyone know of a good brand that will last and actually work well. I know you can get kits for around €60 or £40 but I don't think I trust something that cheap.

Also it is better if I have it done before the bumper is re-painted so I can get the colour matched.

I have had experience with the invisable type. Was not impressed in the slightest. They only worked for about 2 months then the sensitivity slipped and they had to be adjusted constantly.

The meta targa 2 comes out a close second in this Auto Express test. You may need to log onto the AE site to view it, but not onerous.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/...rsing_aids.html

They say Halfords will fit it for free, although the Halfords website doesn't confirm that.

Wonder how easy it'd be to fit on my Sportcross? I'd have to trim the number plate, because my Lexus dealer has fitted a taller rear plate on my car (6"). To fill in the US plate sized gap, I suppose!

IanB :D

If you aren't too bothered about the cost, why not get the Lexus ones, think they cost around £250, and as they're respraying the bumper for you, might be best to get the installation done at the same time :)

If you aren't too bothered about the cost, why not get the Lexus ones, think they cost around £250, and as they're respraying the bumper for you, might be best to get the installation done at the same time :)

I would not bother going to Halfords to have one fitted,I went there and they said if they fitted one i would have 2 reversing beeps going at the same time 1 for the sensors and 1 for the reverse gear so i decided not to bother because they said they could not disconnect the 1 from the gearbox...........

I would not bother going to Halfords to have one fitted,I went there and they said if they fitted one i would have 2 reversing beeps going at the same time 1 for the sensors and 1 for the reverse gear so i decided not to bother because they said they could not disconnect the 1 from the gearbox...........

If you want to keep the reversing bleep, I guess it would be confusing. Drove me mad though!

When I had an IS 200, my local Lexus dealer managed to disable the reverse gear bleep, at my request. Don't know how he did it though.

I may be wrong, but I thought the reversing sensors work by taking a signal off the reversing lights. so in theory, as long as the reversing lights still work, the sensor should too, even with the reversing bleep disabled.

Anyone else know for sure?

I would not bother going to halfords to have one fitted,I went there and they said if they fitted one i would have 2 reversing beeps going at the same time 1 for the sensors and 1 for the reverse gear so i decided not to bother because they said they could not disconnect the 1 from the gearbox...........

Reversing Beep????. No reversing beep in the IS that is sold in Ireland. I thought this was only on Japanese cars.

Looked at the 4 sensor and display system in Halford over here at the weekend. €229 (£155) including install and then €29 for colour matching.

does that seem resonable.

Reversing beep was fitted to early UK manual IS200's in my experience. Don't know about later models.

My dealer told me it was done to prevent you accidently selecting reverse while accelarating hard. The gearbox is so slick and the reverse doesn't have a solid gate on it, so it is easier than most cars to select reverse by mistake - not such a good idea when gunning it!

Lorry-like beep inside the car was irritating though....!

Not sure about your choice re. value for money. It depends which make it is. Did you see my Auto Express link. earlier on this thread?

Cheers,

Reversing beep was fitted to early UK manual IS200's in my experience. Don't know about later models.

My dealer told me it was done to prevent you accidently selecting reverse while accelarating hard. The gearbox is so slick and the reverse doesn't have a solid gate on it, so it is easier than most cars to select reverse by mistake - not such a good idea when gunning it!

Not sure about your choice re. value for money. It depends which make it is. Did you see my Auto Express link. earlier on this thread?

Cheers,

when i first got my LEX i was always wondering why i beeps

But was i got used to the gear box a couple of times at lights i did slip it into reverse

So i am glad it has the beep

Cheers,

The one in Halfords seems to be the Steelmate in the Auto Express link. It definitely has the same display but it has 4 sensors.

The one in Halfords seems to be the Steelmate in the Auto Express link. It definitely has the same display but it has 4 sensors.

In that case, the price sounds OK, since I guess the 4 sensor version would cost more than the 2 sensor one, and you're getting it installed for the price too.

I'm tempted to with this too, because the Sportcross is not the easiest car to reverse. I used to have a Beemer and I miss the reversing sensors.

I have the reverse beep and the targa beep but they are easily distinguisable. and work well .

the targa system is dead easy to fit.

I Have the controller in next to the jack and absolutely no wires showing

Cheers,

when i first got my LEX i was always wondering why i beeps

But was i got used to the gear box a couple of times at lights i did slip it into reverse

So i am glad it has the beep

I too accidentally slipped into reverse at lights and just realised due to the beep. My salesman said there were some serious incidents and the beep was then fitted as standard. I would be wary of removing it

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links