Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a Lexus LS 400 V8... very impressed as first lexus ever... wanted one for ages...

Anyway...

I now have the genuie lexus handbook and the workshop manual - anyone interested then PM me - have tried to put this in other posts but it seems to disappear with no explanation.... if removing this then at least let me know and why... cheers.

Had a bump already - arhhhhhhhh...........

Q1) What headlight bulbs and sidelight bulbs are LEGAL in UK but will insure a high clear light... Xenon... but specifically for THIS car. Have heard that can get coloured side lights etc but which are actually legal.

2) Is there a good cheap place near manchester for body repairs - NOT A LEXUS DEALER...

3) Does a spoiler make much difference and at what cost ?

4) Seen mods on eBay to gain an extra 20bhp ... any good and do they work... are they legal and ok with insurance.

5) Want to replace rear tail lights... with a more modern lexus style light... any ideas where to get one? eBay have all lexus style lights for every make apart from lexus - lol...

6) Would 18" 7.5 alloys be ok on the car ? Do I need a specific tyre rating ?

7) Anyway of hooking up a sony mp3 head unit to the car and doing away with the old radio but still use changer in boot (lexus make) As my current cd/radio seems to light and dim when it feels like.

8) Anway to get cheap or sort the climate control lcd? seem expensive.. Mine works but lcd display for it doesnt.

9) The warning lights on dash screen (has speedo etc on) light up and work etc but seem to come on and go off as they feel like. Sometimes go off when press brake sometime nothing makes a difference. Have read some posts about similar and about sensors and replacing capacitors... Can an auto electrician sort this out and at what cost. My ABS and oil coolent and pressure and level etc come on but car feels and drives fine and levels all been checked and are within limits.

That should do for now... oh anyone got a full manual for sale or scanned as be greatly appreicated as mine did not come with one.. Also what about fuel - mpg... I put a tenner in and i got about 30 miles before had to fill again - seems bad... as last time it did 60 miles and not been speeding but lot of short trips and stopping and starting any way to get good fuel economy out of city living.

Cheers and any advise appreciated...

10) another one is the boot and petrol cap button on the driver cockbit by steering wheel. two buttons one marked petrol and one boot - has a key slot imbetween. I can open petrol but not boot. Tried key - goes in but wont turn... I does work for the glovebox and it works the boot when put into the back of the actual boot (by number plate) so i guess it is a master key...

11) Which are best tyres to have on this car ? I am upgrading to 18" Indesit alloys and wondering which best tyres to have on car? I currently have Hankook optimo K406 - silica compound 205/65 R15 95V 7" wide - I have read tons of bad reviews on these so wondering what best to get at a reasonable price...

For number nine

If the complete instrument panel stays black on cold mornings or until the car warms up, this is the classic

fault caused by the failure of 3 capacitors on the circuit boards [2 stacked] behind the panel.

I fixed my own following a step by step cure from the USA web site.

You can get the caps. from Maplin or your favourite electronics store for about £1 [yes]

Try to get the post from the USA site,think it's by Cole Carter.

They are fiddly to do, you must be able to unsolder tiny components without pulling the printed track up. :huh:

Just thought, if you get weird warning light and autobox problems, there is a known fault on series one cars where a wire breaks in the boot lid hinge and cocks up the system.

This may also be worth a check :duh:

For No.8

See postings on this site under LCD Screen Problems - Recommended Repairs

Regards

Chris

Cant seem to find LCD Screen Problems - Recommended Repairs

on the site...

Any autoelecs do it for you as i dont fancy attacking my lexus with a soldering iron... arhhhh

What cost be approx in Uk anywhere good nr manchester or north wales ?

cheers

great to see someone buying a budget LS400 and not complaining about the odd little foibles. I want one too. WOuld you PM me what you paid for yours if it was recent as I am looking to do some bargaining this week or next...

Thats great but where could i get one from and how much? scrapyard... how would i know if it working...

Also could it be that there is something wrong with the car or could it be sensors ? Again how do i know... Any help appreciated...

Thanks

No. 10.

That key ought to work in the keyswitch, once released (turn the key, lock should pop back out) it would re-activate the boot-release switch. Worth wiggling it a bit or trying the key the other way round.

No. 10.

That key ought to work in the keyswitch, once released (turn the key, lock should pop back out) it would re-activate the boot-release switch. Worth wiggling it a bit or trying the key the other way round.

tried it and it wont turn - seems to go in but not sure if all way ??? managed to turn it once - few days ago. but not since... i seem to have 2 masters and a valet but none of them turn the lock at moment ... any ideas to loosen it...

Hi,

Question 8....theres loads of posts about aftermarket alloys,becareful which ones you buy,the LS400 uses a 50mm offset,most aftermarket alloys go up to around 43mm...

What that means is the alloy wheel will be 7mm sitting out from standard,on the front of the car that could mine the tyres will hit the wheel arches unless the arches are rolled to give more clearance.

Cheers chips.

Hi,

Question 8....theres loads of posts about aftermarket Alloys,becareful which ones you buy,the LS400 uses a 50mm offset,most aftermarket alloys go up to around 43mm...

What that means is the alloy wheel will be 7mm sitting out from standard,on the front of the car that could mine the tyres will hit the wheel arches unless the arches are rolled to give more clearance.

Cheers chips.

Think this was question 11 actually and also was wondering about the actual rubber tyres - mitchelin, dunlop etc but appreciate all advice. Thanks guys.

great to see someone buying a budget LS400 and not complaining about the odd little foibles. I want one too. WOuld you PM me what you paid for yours if it was recent as I am looking to do some bargaining this week or next...

Like the pic of the car you have at side of name - looks identical to mine and the alloys getting. Want to get my windows tinted too - any ideas where is CHEAP- not the magician but want all round black mirror tint. Manchester based or near. Consider North wales also.

Oh just to let you know 18" are most common and easiest to get hold of appatently and the tyres are cheap also - gettin a full set for £100 (£25 per tyre) and proper rated ones. Mate in wrexham north wales - Tyre Trend.

No. 10.

tried it and it wont turn - seems to go in but not sure if all way ??? managed to turn it once - few days ago. but not since... i seem to have 2 masters and a valet but none of them turn the lock at moment ... any ideas to loosen it...

I'm not sure if this post is clear.

The switch that pulls out is in side the car, by the boot release and petrol flap release levers.

This is how you lock/unlock the boot from inside the car. When the barrel is pushed in it locks the boot.

In this state the valet keys will not work in the boot, not sure about the master key, but very worhwile checking that the cabin switch is off, "Barrel is in out position". Just put the master key in and turn, it should pop out.

Good Luck, hope that helps.

No. 10.

I'm not sure if this post is clear.

The switch that pulls out is in side the car, by the boot release and petrol flap release levers.

This is how you lock/unlock the boot from inside the car. When the barrel is pushed in it locks the boot.

In this state the valet keys will not work in the boot, not sure about the master key, but very worhwile checking that the cabin switch is off, "Barrel is in out position". Just put the master key in and turn, it should pop out.

Good Luck, hope that helps.

still seem to be suffering problems with this... but oiled lock. still wont work straight away but if it put in vallet keys and then the master key it does... strange but seems to work for me... glove box works straight away... may just be the barrel sticking...

• 2 years later...

Alright mate,

Just a note on the stereo stuff. The multichanger has a common fault of getting damp or condensation inside and will say error when trying to play - it just takes a while (upto 20mins sometimes) to warm up and then will play cds.

So dont pin any hopes of keeping it - in 10 yrs, 3 new changers installed in car with same problem.

The dimming on console should be when u turn the lights on, if it happens at random you've probably got the faulty dashboard syndrome. It is linked with the center console

LOL was reading this thinking could be helpful then saw dj's reply on the 3yr post lol

Aquasurfer was last seen on 10th march 2006 so prob has sold/ abandonded LS ownership now.

Made i laff though.

steve.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links