Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Can Cause....

Rob's Lexx

after replacing front and rear pads and discs, i keep getting a squeak from the rear brakes when i press on the brake pedal. its not that noticable at higher speads (> 40 mph) but at lower speads, around town, its really starting to p*ss me off!! i've run them in a little (circa. 100 miles) but it hasn't got any better.

is this normal??

is there anything i could do to minimise it (apart from not using the brakes!! :duh: )

all parts are OE.

cheers

rob

squeaky brakes is often the pads resonating - did you apply copper grease when you changed the pads??

dunno mate, i never fitted them. is this something that i could get a garage to do now??? (i'm owed a favour so won't be paying for it :D )

squeaky brakes is often the pads resonating - did you apply copper grease when you changed the pads??

dunno mate, i never fitted them. is this something that i could get a garage to do now??? (i'm owed a favour so won't be paying for it :D )

10 mins each side - including getting the wheels off ! If your owed a favour - save it for a bigger job :D

10 mins each side - including getting the wheels off ! If your owed a favour - save it for a bigger job :D

lol, its only a small favour i'm owed.

where can you get the copper grease from....and where is it applied to??

thanks for the input guys.

i've been having a think and i'm not entirely sure that this is the cause of the squeak. you c, when i break at higher speeds, or when i break hard, there is no noise. yet, when i gently apply the brake it squeaks and squeaks and squeaks :tomato:

could this be due to anything else, or is the copper grease the likely remedy??

thanks for the input guys.

i've been having a think and i'm not entirely sure that this is the cause of the squeak. you c, when i break at higher speeds, or when i break hard, there is no noise. yet, when i gently apply the brake it squeaks and squeaks and squeaks :tomato:

could this be due to anything else, or is the copper grease the likely remedy??

The copper grease will fix it mate

Was thinking on the way home last night - I thought the IS has squeal shims or something along those lines, so that when the pad wore below a certain level, you got an annoying squeal??

Maybe I am talking out me aristotle or something though!!??

Was thinking on the way home last night - I thought the IS has squeal shims or something along those lines, so that when the pad wore below a certain level, you got an annoying squeal??

think your right mate, but the pads are brand new along with the discs, so its not from that me thinks!!

will try get some copper grease on the case this weekend....all being well

lots of jap cars have a a metal tang which touches the disc when the pad wears sufficiently, makes a nasty noise, although this is not the cause of his squeak, it's as everyone has been saying, a dry caliper touching a dry pad (kinda like resonation when you run a finger around a glass) so lightly copperslip the rear of the pads, (dontget any on the pad face or discs though :blink: )

fixed my pads at the weekend, easiest car ive ever worked on!!! lad before was right 10 mins per corner including getting the wheel off!!! what a peice of engineering. the pads need copper greese on the back (Halfords £1.49) then at anti squeel pad 1, more greese, anti squeel pad number 2, more greese, push pistons back, replace caliper, easy. like the lad said save your favours for bigger jobs than that!!!

PhilB

any probs pm me

fixed my pads at the weekend, easiest car ive ever worked on!!! lad before was right 10 mins per corner including getting the wheel off!!! what a peice of engineering. the pads need copper greese on the back (Halfords £1.49) then at anti squeel pad 1, more greese, anti squeel pad number 2, more greese, push pistons back, replace caliper, easy. like the lad said save your favours for bigger jobs than that!!!

PhilB

any probs pm me

fixed my pads at the weekend, easiest car ive ever worked on!!! lad before was right 10 mins per corner including getting the wheel off!!! what a peice of engineering. the pads need copper greese on the back (halfords £1.49) then at anti squeel pad 1, more greese, anti squeel pad number 2, more greese, push pistons back, replace caliper, easy. like the lad said save your favours for bigger jobs than that!!!

PhilB

any probs pm me

fixed my pads at the weekend, easiest car ive ever worked on!!! lad before was right 10 mins per corner including getting the wheel off!!! what a peice of engineering. the pads need copper greese on the back (halfords £1.49) then at anti squeel pad 1, more greese, anti squeel pad number 2, more greese, push pistons back, replace caliper, easy. like the lad said save your favours for bigger jobs than that!!!

PhilB

any probs pm me

:winky:

Not been called a lad for a bit though :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

:duh: right, just an update on this.

applied copper slip to the pads as advised, still no better.

took it into the garage and they said that the noise is likely to caused from the composite of the pads themselves. sounds kinda reasonable to me i guess but now i'm left with this retchid noise and no way to stop it apart from replacing all the pads!!

• 3 weeks later...
are the leading edges of the pads chamfered?

only just got round to reading ur reply mate.

by chamfered, do u mean chipped a little?

i'll have to look in the morning.

the noise is still there anyway but it only seems to be coming from the rear brakes, not the front!!!

no not chipped, the front edge of the brake pad material, if not shaved off at an angle can cause the pad to vibrate when it contacts the disc, it can help to chamfer the front edge of the pad as this stops the vibration and the resulting sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamfer

as it is on the back it could also be the retaining pin/ pressure spring plate is loose.

no not chipped, the front edge of the brake pad material, if not shaved off at an angle can cause the pad to vibrate when it contacts the disc, it can help to chamfer the front edge of the pad as this stops the vibration and the resulting sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamfer

as it is on the back it could also be the retaining pin/ pressure spring plate is loose.

they appear to be alright, but i only looked through the wheel. i've had a brake check done and the pads were removed and replaced but no problem was found. thats why the chap suggested it was the composite of the pads!!

its just really annoying :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links