Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Handfree Kit Absolute Crap

I just got my car and managed pairing my phone to the Bluetooth handsfree kit.

I don't know if it's just my car, but the sound quality is bloody awful, I can hardly hear the people I call, and my voice comes through as if I was standing in an airport with engine noise all around me, barely understandable.

Anyone else experiencing these problems?

Dan

No problems with mine (anymore)...

Originally had problems with pairing and connection, but that suddenly sorted itself out some three or four weeks after I took delivery of the car. Since then, I've had zero problems with it, and audio quality (from peoples' reports) is better with the handsfree than when I'm talking on the handset itself.

I use the Nokia 6680 3G phone.

I presume that you've checked the volume settings both via the Bluetooth system (on screen, or the steering wheel volume control) as well as the handsfree/headset volume setting on your phone?

Leland

Deep in the menus of the Rx400h there are some settings which can improve sound quality of bluetooth-kit...

Have a look there :) (similar) LINK

Bluetooth quality settings (Rx400h):

- Ingnition on

- Button "Display"

- Touchscreen top left and button left, touche several times

- Service Menu

- Button "Menu" (top right)

- Bluetooth quality

- send and receive --> +2

- to exit the service menu switch ignition off

Sorry, I translated it very fast from EuroLOC...

The "top left, bottom left" trick doesn't work on Euro RX's (or at least not the UK models)... there is, however, a service menu accessible by holding I think it's the MENU button down and turning the side lights on and off a few times. This does have a few Bluetooth options on it, but I've not fiddled with them. I seem to recall seeing Bluetooth Quality as one of the options, so you could "try" it... your mileage may vary though.

L.

Well I guess I'll try to accees that menu and play around a bit.

I don't think it's the phone causing the problems, but still I'll get a friends phone and try that one out too.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, what brand/ phone model have you tried to use?

Lexus belgium (at least) regularly issues an updated gsm list, where compatibilities, procedures to pair and syncronize etc.. are described. I use a siemens SX1 and I'm really satisfied. When someone calls me while I'm driving, it is often a surprise when I explain I'm on the move.

However, I'm really fed up whith the so-called security settings in order to limit the use of the navigation and communication system. At least, we could join and put the pressure on the belgium marketing manager...

Lexus belgium (at least) regularly issues an updated gsm list, where compatibilities, procedures to pair and syncronize etc.. are described. I use a siemens SX1 and I'm really satisfied. When someone calls me while I'm driving, it is often a surprise when I explain I'm on the move.

However, I'm really fed up whith the so-called security settings in order to limit the use of the navigation and communication system. At least, we could join and put the pressure on the belgium marketing manager...

I use a Qtek 9100. The phone works fine, dialing, takin' on calls etc. I found a compatibility list from Lexus that was posted on some forum and the QTEK appeared and was said to work.

Except that the sound quality (incoming an outgoing) is crap. Sounds like I was standing 10m away from the microphone. So my guess it's not the phone but the handsfree installation.

And of course the f... lockup of phone and navigation as soon as the car starts moving. Drives me nuts :tsktsk:

Could you perhaps check out to which settings your Bluetooth kit is set and post them (see PhoneDrome's post above). I've been playing around with different settings, without much result.

I use a Qtek 9100. The phone works fine, dialing, takin' on calls etc. I found a compatibility list from Lexus that was posted on some forum and the QTEK appeared and was said to work.

Except that the sound quality (incoming an outgoing) is crap. Sounds like I was standing 10m away from the microphone. So my guess it's not the phone but the handsfree installation.

And of course the f... lockup of phone and navigation as soon as the car starts moving. Drives me nuts :tsktsk:

Could you perhaps check out to which settings your Bluetooth kit is set and post them (see PhoneDrome's post above). I've been playing around with different settings, without much result.

OK Dan,

I'll try to report it tonight. I got my car in November and the list I was sent dated 21.09.2005, but the only QTEK models listed were S100 and S9090...

Deep in the menus of the Rx400h there are some settings which can improve sound quality of bluetooth-kit...

Have a look there :) (similar) LINK

Bluetooth quality settings (Rx400h):

- Ingnition on

- Button "Display"

- Touchscreen top left and button left, touche several times

- Service Menu

- Button "Menu" (top right)

- Bluetooth quality

- send and receive --> +2

- to exit the service menu switch ignition off

Sorry, I translated it very fast from EuroLOC...

Just to confirm Lexus did this for me on my GS and it seems to have improved the call quality.

The "top left, bottom left" trick doesn't work on Euro RX's (or at least not the UK models)... there is, however, a service menu accessible by holding I think it's the MENU button down and turning the side lights on and off a few times. This does have a few bluetooth options on it, but I've not fiddled with them. I seem to recall seeing Bluetooth Quality as one of the options, so you could "try" it... your mileage may vary though.

L.

I have had a go at the settings within this option and there is a significant improvement by adjusting the receive/send +/- if you have a problem with the volume being too low in the car or that the other party finds hearing you too low. With respect to the "type" setting, it can be adjusted from 0-9 (my default being 5), could not figure out what it does so left it as is.

Tony

Has someone managed successfully to get into this service menu. (I mean for european RX400 model)

If so, you would be kind to describe the process step by step!

Easy done:

- Push the "Display" button

- On the new overlay screen that appears, there are 2 bars, on the upper and lower edges of the current screen.

- What you now need to do is push alternativly three times in the upper left part then lower left part of the screen, but staying outside the 2 bars. (e.g. upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left)

- A service menu should appear, with a "Menu" button in the upper right corner. Push that one too.

- Now choose the last menu point on the new screen to get to the Bluetooth settings.

Cheers,

Dan

Has someone managed successfully to get into this service menu. (I mean for european RX400 model)

If so, you would be kind to describe the process step by step!

Easy done:

- Push the "Display" button

- On the new overlay screen that appears, there are 2 bars, on the upper and lower edges of the current screen.

- What you now need to do is push alternativly three times in the upper left part then lower left part of the screen, but staying outside the 2 bars. (e.g. upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left)

- A service menu should appear, with a "Menu" button in the upper right corner. Push that one too.

- Now choose the last menu point on the new screen to get to the Bluetooth settings.

Cheers,

Dan

Many thanks Dan,

I've missed it a few times but finally I've got it.

So, on my car, the settings are 0 / 0 / 5 (from the top to the bottom)

Kind regards,

Patrice

Many thanks Dan,

Kind regards,

Patrice

Hi Patrice!

Thanks for that! I fiddled around a bit with the quality setting (the last one you mention), without noticing any difference in sound quality, no matter which setting I chose.

Anyone out there knows the meaning of this setting, and what the best set-up is?

Dan

Many thanks Dan,

Kind regards,

Patrice

Hi Patrice!

Thanks for that! I fiddled around a bit with the quality setting (the last one you mention), without noticing any difference in sound quality, no matter which setting I chose.

Anyone out there knows the meaning of this setting, and what the best set-up is?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Perhaps, would you like to try your handset in my car, so you be able to know if it is a compatibility problem or...your car!

Luxembourg is not so big, we should manage to meet sometime.

Kind regards,

Patrice

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links