Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Adding Satnav

Do you mean OEM Satnav or aftermarket?

I had a Sony Aftermarket Satnav in my a Audi, which was made by Becker. It was extremely accurate. It had no screen map, but just a small facia which showed symbols/pictograms. the spoken commands are just so much better than the PDA.

I also have a Dell PDA Sat nAv sytem, here is my view:

PDA - screen is small, it's portable and if you lose the signal you're stuffed. It has no gyrosensor (compass) or Speed Pulse sensor, so once pou lose the signal, your system is totally blind. The screen refresh is slow and sometimes too slow! You can miss turnings. Once you've had a proper car system, the negatives of the PDA/Tom Tom go become more noticeable...

Properly plumbed in system - much gretare accuracy, reliability, no fiddly cables, bluetooths, batteries to go flat...you go into a tunnel and the compass and speed pulse take over, so you get accuracy down to approx 10-20m without a signal. Thisis particularly useful in major cities where you get tall building, buses, lorries etc.

You can get good ones fitted for £500+ nowadays, if you want one with a screen probably about £1000plus, but on those if you go for Alpine or Pioneer yu can frig them to watch DVD's etc too.

Normally the car ones are "single DIN", even with a screen that slides out. Some double DIN ones are more expensive. You can get blanking plates to cover up the rest of the holes too.

If you want to plumb in an OEM one into the car, you need someone who's done it before, as it can be tricky!!

PS - unless you're above average with auto electrics, I would recommend you get a professional to fit the plumbed in type. You need to get into the car's electronics to connect the CANBUS/Speed sensor, not something you really want to "try"

Yea. I was thinking about the OEM unit if they are readily available. Partially because I think it finishes off the dash well.

Yea. I was thinking about the OEM unit if they are readily available. Partially because I think it finishes off the dash well.

There are a couple of threads on this previously. From memory I think, it can be done but it very tricky, opinion was it would be easier to buy a car with it fitted.

There are a couple of threads on this previously. From memory I think, it can be done but it very tricky, opinion was it would be easier to buy a car with it fitted.

Right. I think we'll put that in the lets not bother pile then.

I have just bought a motourised sat nav housing for my IS200 dash. I use the Navman and this should fit perfect in the housing. I have also bought the cables to plum in alongside my ipod using the ProLex Aux Input to my OEM Stereo.

An external aerial for my navman ensures I get fantastic signal and I'll be hard wiring this in so no cables are on show. Good thing is, when the Navman starts to dish out instructions, the music dims down and the satnav plays over the top.

I'll post some pics when its all here and installed.

I nearly went for the MM option on my new IS250 but decided against it. Then I was walking through ASDA and spotted the little Garmin i3 StreetPilots for £140. It's small but with a great colour 3D screen and gives clear spoken instructions. You can remove it and put it in your pocket or transfer it to another car. So far it has been 100% accurate all over the country. I can't see how more expensive systems justify their cost when compared to this.

I nearly went for the MM option on my new IS250 but decided against it. Then I was walking through ASDA and spotted the little Garmin i3 StreetPilots for £140. It's small but with a great colour 3D screen and gives clear spoken instructions. You can remove it and put it in your pocket or transfer it to another car. So far it has been 100% accurate all over the country. I can't see how more expensive systems justify their cost when compared to this.

That's a fair point, from a pure functionality point of view, these portable satnavs make a lot more sense. And unless you drive to a lot of new places all the time, you don't actually end up using it that much anyway.

However, everytime I start my car, and that 7" widescreen smoothly pops up out of the top of the dash - justfies the cost every time :D

It may sound really stupid but I would find it hard to have one stuck to my windscreen with a suction cup thingy - I'd much rather have it all "integrated" and if it costs more, so be it :winky:

Yep as others have said I believe it takes a lot of work to fit the OEM satnav, plus it costs a lot of money unless you can get the parts from a breakers or something. It would probably make more sense to get something like a Pioneer X1 - which seem to be going very cheaply nowadays.......

I can't see how more expensive systems justify their cost when compared to this.

If the Lexus system was just pure Sat Nav then it would be very hard to justify the increased cost when you could buy a Tom Tom or similar for much less. But you are paying for a MultiMedia System. That means a DVD changer and the ability to watch DVDs (and yes I do use this feature!), a fantasic Sat Nav system, an amazing stereo, Voice activation, Reversing Camera, Bluetooth connection for phone. And I think that this is great value for money.

Like Parthiban I too am a big fan of integration - a much more elegant solution.

I can't see how more expensive systems justify their cost when compared to this.

If the Lexus system was just pure Sat Nav then it would be very hard to justify the increased cost when you could buy a Tom Tom or similar for much less. But you are paying for a MultiMedia System. That means a DVD changer and the ability to watch DVDs (and yes I do use this feature!), a fantasic Sat Nav system, an amazing stereo, Voice activation, Reversing Camera, Bluetooth connection for phone. And I think that this is great value for money.

Like Parthiban I too am a big fan of integration - a much more elegant solution.

You're right in what your saying, of course, but look at it from my point of view:

DVD Player - watch movies stationary in my car? Why? I have friends.

Sat Nav - yes it is very good but I often lend my Garmin to my wife to help her find places on her travels. It's never failed to bring her back yet. Whether this is a plus or a minus is debatable I grant you.

Amazing stereo - the existing 13 speaker is fine for me thanks.

Voice activation - my phone has this anyway.

Reversing camera - I know how to park. (Famous last words I know).

You're right in what your saying, of course, but look at it from my point of view:

DVD Player - watch movies stationary in my car? Why? I have friends.

Sat Nav - yes it is very good but I often lend my Garmin to my wife to help her find places on her travels. It's never failed to bring her back yet. Whether this is a plus or a minus is debatable I grant you.

Amazing stereo - the existing 13 speaker is fine for me thanks.

Voice activation - my phone has this anyway.

Reversing camera - I know how to park. (Famous last words I know).

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

OK we can agree to disagree and like you say it is a personal thing.

But just to add, I have friends too and I wouldn't dream of just going out to the car to watch a DVD but my job takes me all over the place and there are times when I find myself arriving early at a venue and I just pop on a DVD for 20-30 mins.

The voice activation controls the stereo, phone, climate control, navigation...

The camera is an aid, nothing like having a pair of eyes in the back of your head. Plus who cares whether you can park, the thing looks damn cool!

Saracen point is crucial - the entire package compliments the car and I think it's worth every penny.

NBLG's point is a valid one, however, it all depends on how much time you spend the car, how much you rely on the phone while travelling etc.

Garmin/TTGO/PDA's etc do everything, but you do get what you pay for...and when you're used to the "quality" of the routing, the lack of "jittery screens" etc, you appreciate the pukka system more.

The choice for me in the budget was:

SE-L w/o MLS

SE with MLS

The extra £3kodd was better spent on the MLS for my money (it's a personal thing)...

PS - Like Saracen I too use the DVD in the car, and yes I have lots of friends, but when you're waiting for kids (afterschool), colleagues, the partner to put on her face, it can be useful, I wish there was a TV function... :duh: ...

Swings and roundabouts. Personally speaking, I use a Nokia smartphone with Tom Tom on it. Since I carry the phone everywhere with me anyway, having to carry around the very compact GPS receiver as well is not much bother. I got one of the latest 32 channel receivers off eBay for 50 squid, and it locks onto the signal very well, even inside the house. Used it to navigate from London down to a tiny village in Cornwall, and it didn't have any problems. Even recalculating routes takes 20 seconds maximum.

I wouldn't shell out cash for an incar solution, unless it was standard kit, like the LS range.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links