Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250/ 22od: The First 100 Days

I had to postpone delivery of my new IS for a few months. I'm actually quite glad I did, because you always get minor glitches when a brand new model first goes into production. Anyway, I am finally about to take the plunge and would very much like to hear more about the experiences of forum members who have bought the new Lexus IS since last November. In particular, I'd like to hear feedback on the following:

1. Has the quality of the car lived up to your expectations in terms of driving/ ownership experience (especially versus the old IS200/300 if you owned one)

2. If you expereinced problems, have these been fully sorted-out?

3. Dealer treatment, has it been okay?

My OVERALL impression is that quality is FANTASTIC. The car is GREAT TO DRIVE. Dealer service is still CLASS OF THE FIELD. And most problems have ONLY been MINOR niggles, e.g. unexected rattles.

I look forward to hearing what those of you who have put their money where their mouth is have to say.

:unsure:

I picked my IS250 up in December and overall I am extremely pleased with it.

Just a couple of minor irritants that could be improved upon.

1) The sat nav does not cut out the radio/dvd when it makes its announcements so you cannot hear it at motorway speeds with music turned up and with such a nice system that is a shame. It cuts the radio/dvd out when the phone rings so why couldn’t they have linked it to the sat nav as well.

2) I guess they say its in the interests of safety but I would like the passenger to be able to program the sat nav, look at the phonebook (not just speed dials) and MP3 folders on the move.

Just curious but why isn’t the passenger allowed to use the memory function seat buttons on the move. I can understand it with the driver, but the passenger ???

It’s also a little unfortunate that after a long trip on Wednesday where I broke 4000 miles that the infamous dashboard rattle appears to have started. I’m at this moment waiting for my dealer at Exeter to call me to arrange a fix. Whilst on that subject they have been excellent throughout. So much so that I have written on the dealer section of this forum praising them.

As I said all fairly minor. All in all I love the car.

Loving it so far. Definitely the most comfortable car I've ever driven; the leather seats are like a comfortable pair of trainers that are wonderful to slip into after a hard day at work.

Quality seems very good, at least on a par with my Audi that I had before. I did have certain misgivings about the "metallic effect" paint finish on the centre dash and the door handles, but it seems to be wearing fine (I have 6k miles now).

I can only think of minor niggles:

1. Lack of rear legroom - not a major problem as I rarely carry rear passengers.

2. The boot release and filler release are right next to each other and not illuminated so at night it is difficult to get the right one.

3. Would have liked the headrests to be able to tilt forward slightly.

4. Tyre roar could be a bit less.

5. I have a bit of wind noise from where the driver's door meets the B-pillar at sppeds in excess of 75mph. It's not a bother - I'll get them to look at it when it goes in for its first service.

Dealer service so far was great, but then I got good service at Audi (wife works for Audi dealer so I would expect to!)

Car is fantastic...auto gearbox is a dream....seats v.comfortable....dealers ok!

Only problem I've had is the dash rattle which is now sorted after one visit to the dealer.

Like others, have to question why the boot and fuel cabin buttons not illuminated, and don;t like the clock and airbag indicator in the centre console, but minor quibbles really.

Well the car has been gorgeous overall (barring the rattle, wind noise etc problems). I have no complaints, even the nanny features. They are there for a reason and I can live with knowing I won't accidentally kill someone 'cos I'm watching "Spongebob Squarepants" with the kids and driving!

It's just the dealer! We wish we bought the car from Sally at Sutton Coldfield!

Here's what I want for fathers day:

earmuffs2qy.jpg

I picked my IS250 up in December and overall I am extremely pleased with it.

Just a couple of minor irritants that could be improved upon.

1) The sat nav does not cut out the radio/dvd when it makes its announcements so you cannot hear it at motorway speeds with music turned up and with such a nice system that is a shame. It cuts the radio/dvd out when the phone rings so why couldn’t they have linked it to the sat nav as well.

2) I guess they say its in the interests of safety but I would like the passenger to be able to program the sat nav, look at the phonebook (not just speed dials) and MP3 folders on the move.

Just curious but why isn’t the passenger allowed to use the memory function seat buttons on the move. I can understand it with the driver, but the passenger ???

It’s also a little unfortunate that after a long trip on Wednesday where I broke 4000 miles that the infamous dashboard rattle appears to have started. I’m at this moment waiting for my dealer at Exeter to call me to arrange a fix. Whilst on that subject they have been excellent throughout. So much so that I have written on the dealer section of this forum praising them.

As I said all fairly minor. All in all I love the car.

On point 1.

I have had a number of cars with Sat Nav which cut the radio sound when making an announcement. Having listened to an exciting murder play on the radio and the sound cuts out just as the murderer is being mentioned is really annoying (you know the situation I mean ). Now in my IS250 if I should miss an announcement, all I have to do is turn down the volume and press the Map (voice) button and the last message is repeated. So I and my passengeres never miss an important part of a radio programme and I never miss a navigation instruction. Best of both worlds I think.

On point 2.

Why doesn't your passenger just use the seat adjustment buttons to alter the seat position? If he/she had memorised a seat position and then not used it, don't blame Lexus. :huh:

oldun

Had the car since Dec 05, done just over 5000 miles, and I love! Love!! LOVE!!! it. It gets admiring glances all the time and I have even been stopped in car parks while people ask me about it.

No problems yet, touch wood, except for a cracked windscreen which was replaced by my insurance, but I can hardly blame Lexus for that!

Even now I am still discovering new bits in it, which is what happens when you don't read the manual!

Re: Whoosh, I don't think the Sat Nav should cut the radio, my last Sat nav system (aftermarket system fitted to my IS200) did this and it used to drive me mad when listening to the radio.

Now for the niggles:

I wish the wing mirrors would auto-close.

I wish the headlights had the "follow-me home" function.

I wish the parking break was electronic.

A little wind noise but I usually have the radio on LOUD so it's not too big a problem. I will mention it at the first service.

Why does the clock not look better! And that airbag light, if it has to be on all the time why does it not look nicer?

These, however, are only minor quibbles.

The dealer experience could have been better but I have the car and I just won't use them again or recommend them.

And that's it! The car really has exceed my expectations.

"I wish the parking break was electronic."

Can you get Electronic Parking brakes...what happens when the Battery goes flat...?

Seriously though, the parking brake on the auto I test drove was a bit annoying, it wasn't easy to see where the brake was when it's "on" when you get in the car as it was obscured by the dashboard and it was a bit like playing the drums "press right foot on brake, press start button, press left foot on parking brake, engage drive, press accelerator" :huh:

Barry

On point 1.

I have had a number of cars with Sat Nav which cut the radio sound when making an announcement. Having listened to an exciting murder play on the radio and the sound cuts out just as the murderer is being mentioned is really annoying (you know the situation I mean ). Now in my IS250 if I should miss an announcement, all I have to do is turn down the volume and press the Map (voice) button and the last message is repeated. So I and my passengeres never miss an important part of a radio programme and I never miss a navigation instruction. Best of both worlds I think.

On point 2.

Why doesn't your passenger just use the seat adjustment buttons to alter the seat position? If he/she had memorised a seat position and then not used it, don't blame Lexus. :huh:

oldun

Answer to Point 1

Pressing the map voice button does not repeat with a TMC announcements. I would rather concentrate on my driving and let the system lower the volume rather than have to press buttons to make it repeat. I guess the obvious answer is that it should be a feature that can be selected.

Answer to Point 2

Obviously a passenger could use seat adjustment buttons and if he/she had memorised a seat position THEY CANT USE IT WHEN MOVING. That was my point. Ok it should be used when you first get in but if one button has been set in "relax" mode, seat goes back, rake goes back, you cannot just press a button to operate it and return to original position when you want. No great hardship in using adjustments manually I know, it was just a case of WHY.

I wish the wing mirrors would auto-close.

Why does the clock not look better! And that airbag light, if it has to be on all the time why does it not look nicer?

Agreed.

The clock display in particular irks me... it's looks like an afterthought, something they just chucked in from the parts bin.

Other than that, have had the car since December and it's going great! :)

Well the car has been gorgeous overall (barring the rattle, wind noise etc problems). I have no complaints, even the nanny features. They are there for a reason and I can live with knowing I won't accidentally kill someone 'cos I'm watching "Spongebob Squarepants" with the kids and driving!

It's just the dealer! We wish we bought the car from Sally at Sutton Coldfield!

Here's what I want for fathers day:

earmuffs2qy.jpg

Actually, 2nd thorts! I feel better today...

That Satnav/Voice command volume "Please say command after the beep" is too low...

1st gear is too low and 6th too high...meaning that it's actually a 5 speed car...and takes ages to get to 60 :huh:

Quality of the leather is excellent and well worth it IMHO

The Bluetooth kit is fab...

Fuel economy is OK (horaaah) in the oiler (and blooming marvelous in the auto 250)

The ride is bouncy occasionally, but the road holding is fab! :unsure:

Road noise is about the same as a Ford Focus...not good really, but considering the rubber it's cool...

I wish you could play DVD's crammed with MP3's...but need to invest in DVD Audio burning software...

Tall door panels and no rubber mouldings mean it's a matter of time before the phantom "ding" installer visits my car... :crybaby:

A massage function in the drivers seat would have been great!!

The seat vents are brilliant!! :whistling:

The smoothness of the disel engine...it's gr8 unless you try and have a race...then it becomes more noise less momentum!

I wish my house front door (or any door for that matter) would open by me sticking my fingers behind the handle...with the key in my pocket of course

The steering is well weighted, people complain it's numb but I love it (afterall I used to drive an Audi...)

The rear camera is gr8! No need for sensors...

I wish there was an Auto for the Diesel...

And mud flaps!! My old cars were always pristine and easy to wash 'cos they had 'flaps...Lexus really should get some (and reasonably priced too)

So all in all, in spite of the known issues it's a great car!! A joy to behold...

PS Auto locking - that should be there (come on Lexus - it's available in the USA...) and auto folding mirrors as Saracen pointed out...

The seat vents are brilliant!! :whistling:

With my seat vents on the max setting of 3, I can hear the fans if the engine is idling, and I can just about feel air coming out of them if I hold my hand very close. However, when just sitting on the seats, I wouldn't even know the seat vent was switched on.

What's this like in other cars?

With my seat vents on the max setting of 3, I can hear the fans if the engine is idling, and I can just about feel air coming out of them if I hold my hand very close. However, when just sitting on the seats, I wouldn't even know the seat vent was switched on.

What's this like in other cars?

In the passenger seat you can definitely feel the cold air, in the driver's seat there is barely anything. Both on number three. I'll be getting the dealer to look at this along with my rattle.

Wow! Great to hear so much positive feedback about the car - both diesel and petrol versions. You may not be able to trust motoring journalist reviews any more, but thank goodness for forums.

I wonder what is on Lexus' fix list when they come to improve the car for the next model year. I am sure that some of these issues must be tackled.

Wow! Great to hear so much positive feedback about the car - both diesel and petrol versions.

As Jamboo says there is a lot of bias on this site! However I believe the car is a great car and I also would expect a few niggles with a brand new model, hopefully most dealers and LGB will address these.

On point 1.

On point 2.

oldun

Answer to Point 1

Pressing the map voice button does not repeat with a TMC announcements. I would rather concentrate on my driving and let the system lower the volume rather than have to press buttons to make it repeat. I guess the obvious answer is that it should be a feature that can be selected.

Answer to Point 2

Obviously a passenger could use seat adjustment buttons and if he/she had memorised a seat position THEY CANT USE IT WHEN MOVING. That was my point. Ok it should be used when you first get in but if one button has been set in "relax" mode, seat goes back, rake goes back, you cannot just press a button to operate it and return to original position when you want. No great hardship in using adjustments manually I know, it was just a case of WHY.

I'm sorry Whoosh, if you would rather concentrate on your driving why is your radio so loud that you cannot hear a guidance message? :duh:

Hi there, this is my first post. Just like to say it is good to see people buying different cars to the bmws, mercs etc.

I would also like to say that just because people exagerate on surveys how lexus are untouchable does not mean that they do not have problems.

The problems you are experiencing are with all manufactrurers. all cars have hicups. at the end of the day, it depends on the dealers. if they don't fix the problem, then we say the car is cr*p.

I myself like Italian cars, but I do admire the new is.

I'm sorry Whoosh, if you would rather concentrate on your driving why is your radio so loud that you cannot hear a guidance message? :duh:

Because like a lot of people have said on these forums they like music quite loud. I don’t actually play it exceptionally loud it’s just that the system is badly designed (in MY opinion) and doesn’t mute the dvd/cd as I would like it. Everyone is different, music at a reasonable volume does not distract me from driving half as much as listening to a play would, that would probably send me to sleep. Everyone is different. If the Adaptive Volume worked a little better we would both be happy I guess. :winky:

• 1 year later...

I wish you could play DVD's crammed with MP3's...but need to invest in DVD Audio burning software...

should have opted for the MM system as that can do the DVD mp3 thing according to this report:

http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/bespo...or-new-lexus-is

Sorry retract the above statement... still have to be DVD-A format (stupid really seeing as how it can decode mp3) maybe a firmware upgrade will be made available soon (if we all hound the lexus / mark Levinson people)

(...)

Sorry retract the above statement... still have to be DVD-A format (stupid really seeing as how it can decode mp3) maybe a firmware upgrade will be made available soon (if we all hound the lexus / mark Levinson people)

...and for what I've experienced the Mark Levinson is not even able to play "multichannel" DVD-AUDIO disks...

I've experienced that if my DVD-Audio has got the following tracks:

(1) Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1

(2) DVD-Audio stereo

(3) DVD-Audio multichannel

I can sometimes (but not always! dunno why) see the (1) DD/DTS multichannel tracks.

I can always correctly listen to the STEREO DVD-Audio tracks.

I can NEVER listen to DVD-Audio multichannel: I've tried many DVD-Audio disks, even test DVD-A's to calibrate multichannel systems, but I've never been able te hear any sound coming from surround speakers. In fact the ML doesn't say anything about that, but it simply 'cut' the audio coming from central, behind and subwoofer speakers. And if I switch to the stereo DVD-A tracks I can instead hear all the intended sound (but - obviously - only in the 2 front speakers, or with the 'elaborated' surround mode - that is internally processed, so it looses quality).

Any ideas about this?

Actually if I want real, discrete, multichannel sound I can only look for DD or DTS DVD-Videos... and it's a real pity for the system.

Many thanks, ciao

Gianluca

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links