Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Replacement Key Woe

So, I broke my master key. Thought I'd be clever and avoid the £120 the dealer was offering for a replacement and found a cheap new one on eBay.

The problem is: it was from canada and the actual key length is different.

(new key on top)

DSC00031.jpg

My local key cutter is saying they won't/can't do it.

Has anyone ordered a replacement key from US/Canada and had success getting it re-cut?

thanks in advance

h

someone had the same prob before, try a different place but a proper locksmith this time, just have to line up the ends of the key properly if the machine allows it

Cool - that's what I'll do - will report back...

It is not a problem at all. its just the end that has to line up. it will just sit out the barell 5mm further and not affect its use in any way. ive had two blanks bodged by a key cutter so make sure the person that is doing it is confident.

Craig

ps what happened to the master key?

do you still have the fob bit?

It is not a problem at all. its just the end that has to line up. it will just sit out the barell 5mm further and not affect its use in any way. ive had two blanks bodged by a key cutter so make sure the person that is doing it is confident.

Ah great news - I'll take it to a proper locksmith who does car keys and get it done properly.

The plastic surround broke in my pocket when I was crouching down to clean my wheels :P

So yes I still have the internals of the fob bit which fit into the new key no probs. No need for the open-the-door-30-times-whilst-doing-handstand reprogramming business.

h

• 1 month later...

Ah great news - I'll take it to a proper locksmith who does car keys and get it done properly.

The plastic surround broke in my pocket when I was crouching down to clean my wheels :P

So yes I still have the internals of the fob bit which fit into the new key no probs. No need for the open-the-door-30-times-whilst-doing-handstand reprogramming business.

h

I just got they key from that canadian guy. I cant get anywhere willing to cut the key.

Went to 4 locksmiths and not one of them had a laser cutter.

went to A1 autostores and the manager said he wasnt willing to take the risk cutting it.

Will anyone cut the bloody thing.

I got the imobaliser programmed to the transponder but i cant get the remote function to work.

need to do more handstands

I just got they key from that canadian guy. I cant get anywhere willing to cut the key.

Went to 4 locksmiths and not one of them had a laser cutter.

went to A1 autostores and the manager said he wasnt willing to take the risk cutting it.

Will anyone cut the bloody thing.

I got the imobaliser programmed to the transponder but i cant get the remote function to work.

Sounds really dodgey I know but if you sent it to me with a tenner and a spare key I would get it cut but I understand if you'd rather not. It's just a long drive to loughborough from you, that's where I get it cut.

by the way if you sent me just the outside with no electronics there would be no way I could copy the imobiliser, so id never be able to steal your car.

Craig

Sounds really dodgey I know but if you sent it to me with a tenner and a spare key I would get it cut but I understand if you'd rather not. It's just a long drive to loughborough from you, that's where I get it cut.

by the way if you sent me just the outside with no electronics there would be no way I could copy the imobiliser, so id never be able to steal your car.

Craig

cheers for the offer mate but i only have the 1 key.

Is this a Canadian transponder? If so you won't have much luck, I believe Canadian keys, like US keys, use a frequency of 315Mhz rather than the 433Mhz used in the UK.

Is this a Canadian transponder? If so you won't have much luck, I believe Canadian keys, like US keys, use a frequency of 315Mhz rather than the 433Mhz used in the UK.

I feared as much.

:tsktsk: cost me £50 too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links