Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Seized Calliper

Sven

Hi all,

I've just been told that my rear-offside caliper is siezed and it'll cost £175 to fix and change the pads. (This is from the dealer - having it serviced)

Before I go and do that, is it easy free them or is it send it in jobbie?

I know I'll have to get new pads as one of them (the stuck one) is down to 70% wear.

Couldn't find anything on knowledge base, so any help appreciated!! :blush:

Thanks everyone!!

Sven.

ah... so it is a "replace it" not just an "unseize it" situation. Ooohh...

Monster-Mat, How much are they? I don't know where there are any Lexus breakers in the Herts/Cambs area. Anyone know any?

And, as I can't find a Haynes manual anywhere, any pointer on how to replace them is definitely pint worthy!

Thanks everyone, looking forward to the replies!

Cheers,

Sven.

my calpiers were seized, i used a mini blow torch to heat them up to expand the metal and worked it out with a pair of mole grips, then after i used brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean it up, followed by grease and its as good as new.

I did similar to jay - stripped the calipers down, cleaned them, fitted new rubber seals and replaced. Took 5.5hrs total for the two rear ones and was hard work and very fiddly. Cost was about £70 or £80 for the seals plus some brake fluid. There are loads of instructions on the web tho not specific for lexus but I used one of these. In future I think I'll just replace the calipers. It's more expensive but much simpler. Thats just my preference though.

Is the piston seized in the caliper, or is the caliper seized on the pin?

To be honest, I dont know! :blush:

All lexus (Hatfield) told me was that the "caliper is seized, and we can do it for £175." I gulped. Thought there must be a better way.

Is there a big difference, and I one easier to fix than the other?

Cheers!

Sven

Go out in it, not too far, then call the AA or RAC, or whichever break down service you're with, then let them fix it for you :winky: . Or at least they might be able to let you know what exactly is wrong, and then go from there

Start off with the easier option:

Take the caliper off and the slider should move under a bit of pressure with the fingers,if not then pull back the rubber clean the slider and apply a bit of grease, if its o.k then the piston is seized and if you know what your doing you can as said previously get a piston repair kit which will involve stripping it down.

You can buy hose clamps so you dont lose any fluid from the brake system.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links