Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clear Rear Fogs Failed Mot

My IS200 went to the dealers for it's first MOT today.

They phoned to say it failed on the rear fog lights because they were showing white light. They're the clear ones with red bulbs that a few of us have fitted.

I think it must have been because the bulb holder stops the light from the red bulb getting to part of the reflector so it's not lit red and appears clear. I think I was a bit unlucky - I'll try experimenting with some red tape around the bulb holder to see if that removes the problem.

They were pretty good about it - I'd left the standard red fog lights in the boot just in case and they re-fitted them free of charge and then passed the MOT. They also picked up/dropped off the car from my house as I booked with too little time left before it was due for there to be a courtesy car available. Again this was done with no extra charge. Lexus Reading really are the business.

• 3 weeks later...

OK got this sussed. The bulbs had lost, or never had, some of their red colour towards the base. I bought some red transparent paint for use on glass/tiles from a craft shop and touched them up. The white light problem is now sorted. :backofnet:

They actually give a redder light from that area so I might try replacing my expensive red bulbs with clear ones that I've painted myself. I might get a better red colour that way, as long as it doesn't make them too dull.

why not swap back to your old red ones for your m.o.t and once its passed put your funky clear jobbies on again . i use to do it with my cat on my saxo vts . its only takes 15 mins to do in one year . good luck....................................jon :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That did occur to me :lol:, but I wanted to know if they were legal :huh: . (I prefer to stay legal - "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities" Romans 13:1) Hopefully with the touched up bulbs they'll be ok next time. B)

I've wanted to get clear rear fog lights with the red bulbs for my car and the thought of it not passing it's MOT has been holding me back. :blush: I know I could change them back to the original ones for the MOT, but ideally I don't want to have to do that. :huh:

Has anyone who has changed to the clear ones passed their MOT :question:

Painting the bulbs in not a bad idea, if it helps pass the MOT :)

i asked me best mate (who is a m.o.t tester) he said "just swap them for the test . the chances of getting pulled by the fuzz is slim as the copper would have to be very clued up on what was right and wrong with them" . so the choice is yours , as they say . B)

I bought mine on www.ebay.com from www.matrixracing.com. I needed to file the bulb holder a little to get them to fit as they're not exactly high quality (also no CE mark). The red bulbs they come with are not very bright so I bought some Polarg M23 bulbs from www.shopresponse.com You still get a pink colour light but at least they are fog-light bright. I'm going to experiment with white bulbs painted with transparent red paint to see if I get a better colour from those now though.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to experiment with white bulbs painted with transparent red paint to see if I get a better colour from those now though.

A bit of feedback: I finally got around to trying some clear bulbs that I'd painted red myself this evening. I used a transparent red paint for use on glass and ceramic that I bought from a craft shop. The result is a nice red (not pink) colour and they're bright too. Just need to see if they last now and don't fade. B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links