Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Rattles Return

Well, temperature falls below 12degs and it rattles (not the engine which always rattles :blush: ) first thing - centre dash - somewhere behind the vents.

The noise is akin to a sugar cube in an empty Starbucks coffee takeaway cup :blush: with the lid on, and the whole lot being gently shaken!!

It sounds like the big dash out job, but then it goes away once the heater has warmed the vents.

Blooming annoying :duh: though I still love the car - but only just!

I always had a feeling that falling temperatures would start it off, and I was right!!

Anyone else experienced the same yet?

The other thing worth pointing out (again) is how unbelievably soft the paintwork on this car is. I know it's all to do with environmentally friendly paint but it's a joke! Even the slightest brush with a shoulder bag on the rear bumper and it's scarred for life. It's really not family friendly!

You commented about my "new rattle " last week remember:your dash will not have to come out:the vents & audio fascia can be separated easily from the main dash & padded etc.

If Leicester cannot fix it, & I would be very surprised IF that was the case, Nottingham certainly can!

Tel :driving:

I have the IS220d for a month and I have occasional rattle from the left side (in the UK right side) where are the buttons for power heating, wiper heating etc. This rattle isn't usualy caused by the road surface, but by the vibrations. When I gently push it, it stops..

Bad thing is, that sometimes it is OK for 50kms, sometimes it makes instatnly so it's hard to show it to the dealer.

I will see.

BTW how can I know, when exactly was the car made? On the carpet label is 06/06 but I don't know if it's the date :)

One more question - I always thought, that IS is made in Japan, but on the documents everywhere is Belgium. So do you know, where is it made?

thanks

Hi Jamboo.

Sounds like the dreaded "whole dash out" issue. They had to take mine out to fix the problem. Was around the centre speaker and they couldn't get to it by taking the MM system out.

BUT, 3 months later and no problem with it, so looks like they nailed it on the 4th attempt.

Unfortuneately I have got a squeaky seat back. And it's the new seat!

Good luck, matey.

By the way when you go to get your car fixed ask them to test the hardness of your paint as you are very concerned about the rapid wear around the rear bumper:all colours will have their individual range of hardness specs &/or a minimum value that is known to be "acceptable" for todays environment.

Tel

My belief is that the new IS is made in Japan, no where else.

As far as my rattle is concerned, is was as quiet as a mouse today (a dead mouse not squeaking ;-) ) with the temperature at 9degs, and so I'm gonna leave it until it there all the time! It's intermittent (aren't they all). Hopefully it was one off...here's to hoping!

In the meantime I'm giving the old speakers a bashing on the MLS, playing the "Hip Hop Sensations" album, listening to Grand Master Flash, RunDMC & co...It's a very good album, from Asda for £5!!

PS - Tel - cheers, will do. It scratches so easy.

Overall, I really do love the car - best car I've ever had, and best VFM (in spite of rattles).

My belief is that the new IS is made in Japan, no where else.

As far as my rattle is concerned, is was as quiet as a mouse today (a dead mouse not squeaking ;-) ) with the temperature at 9degs, and so I'm gonna leave it until it there all the time! It's intermittent (aren't they all). Hopefully it was one off...here's to hoping!

In the meantime I'm giving the old speakers a bashing on the MLS, playing the "Hip Hop Sensations" album, listening to Grand Master Flash, RunDMC & co...It's a very good album, from Asda for £5!!

PS - Tel - cheers, will do. It scratches so easy.

Overall, I really do love the car - best car I've ever had, and best VFM (in spite of rattles).

I feel for you Jamboo. I had the intermittent noises from the air vent too as well as the door card and centre speaker and drivers and passengers seat and.....and....and...... anyway, my car went in to the local Lexus dealer 3 times and they couldn't fix it. Eventually Lexus GB took it away to their technical centre and fixed the lot. I ended up having a second new drivers seat and more insulation in the passenger seat as the back squeaked on it. I must say that the car came back after 2 months quiet as a mouse apart from a virbrating airvent (probably the dead mouse you were talking about) but they seem to have fixed the rest. The only noise I have now (that started yesterday) is coming from the passenger headrest which seems to rattle over rough surfaces.

At the technical centre they test the car over lots of different surfaces and have the ability to heat the car and cool it to test it at different temperatures as some of the noises were temperature sensitive.

I got a report back with the car of what work had been done by the technical centre, and for the airvent (where I had a tapping noise and a vibrating noise) the fix came back that more insulation was added for the wiring to stop the tapping noise but the vibration noise wasn't fixed. The report said that other test cars (presumably the press cars that they have there) were also tested and the vibration coming from the air vent was aparent on all the IS250's they tested and was not only on my car. The report said that video evidence and recordings were taken and sent off to the factory in Japan. So I still have a vibrating air vent which isn't so noticeable now all the other noises have gone.

Good Luck with getting it sorted!!!!!

P.S. I have ordered the Carlack 68 and P21s. I'm going to give the car the treatment this weekend after seeing how nice yours looked. :D

As you mentioned paint work Went into BMW showroom yesterday under bright light the brand new cars ( even silver) have swirl marks that look like the car had been polished with a scourer Asked the salesman..he said all the new paintwork is soft and all look the same!! so not unique tolexus its water based paint BTW the rattles are back ..cold related for sure but the one that never rattled is still fine..wonder why soem are better than others

Alan

:offtopic: Starange question Tel but did you or do you own a starion, there was a guy called tel on starion owners club from your area?

Craig :offtopic:

No siree!

Tel

Surely the problem with swirl marks on brand new cars in showrooms is that the particular Dealership does not have professional valeters:is there anyone out there who would buy a new motor whose paintwork has already been damaged by a numb-skull?

I have always cleaned mine by the Jamboo Method that prevents in-grained wash-dirt "scraping" the surface:are you all saying that your cars were covered in swirl marks in the Hand-Over Bay?

Mine still passes the garage fluorescent light test after 9 mnths:even if my car was Black I really do believe you can minimise swirls using Jamboo's System that I believe all good dealerships use.

Surely the problem with swirl marks on brand new cars in showrooms is that the particular Dealership does not have professional valeters:is there anyone out there who would buy a new motor whose paintwork has already been damaged by a numb-skull?

I have always cleaned mine by the Jamboo Method that prevents in-grained wash-dirt "scraping" the surface:are you all saying that your cars were covered in swirl marks in the Hand-Over Bay?

Mine still passes the garage fluorescent light test after 9 mnths:even if my car was Black I really do believe you can minimise swirls using Jamboo's System that I believe all good dealerships use.

I quite agree 100% preventable just that most dealers use kids to do pre delivery polishing. But the water based paints are softer no doubt.

alam

what is the Jamboo's System?

:lol::lol:

I wonder if I could patent it and become fat, rich b :tsktsk: d on the royalities :lol:

It's not just my system, but one lots of people on this forum use.

Try this thread:

HERE

main tip is NEVER use a car wash, or even backstreet (or main road) hand car wash places, and use clean water and plenty of proper car shampoo, clean sponges and at least 2 buckets...

Jet wash destroys rubber (including tyre sidewalls - which can appear to have fine cracks), and it can remove lacquer from chipped alloys. Being a green sort of person, I would say a watering can is best...

thanks Jamboo.

My car has been washed so far twice and both by myself, but as polish I used turtlewax PTFE (with teflon)

When I run out, maybe I'll try that miracle but I don't have the electric polisher. Is it really hard to polish just with hands?

what is the Jamboo's System?

:lol::lol:

I wonder if I could patent it and become fat, rich b :tsktsk: d on the royalities :lol:

It's not just my system, but one lots of people on this forum use.

Try this thread:

HERE

main tip is NEVER use a car wash, or even backstreet (or main road) hand car wash places, and use clean water and plenty of proper car shampoo, clean sponges and at least 2 buckets...

Jet wash destroys rubber (including tyre sidewalls - which can appear to have fine cracks), and it can remove lacquer from chipped alloys. Being a green sort of person, I would say a watering can is best...

For the initial wash I use one of those Flash auto dry guns for the end of your hose.

Turn it to soap and give the car a spray. Rub the area with a clean soft car brush, mitt or sponge.

Turn the gun to spray and rinse off the area you just did. Move around the car one panel at a time like this but try to keep the whole car wet all the time.

When you have the whole car washed then switch to the auto dry setting which is basically a filter that takes out the impurities in the water that dry to leave water marks. Force off all the wash water with the filtered water.

Then I go over all areas with a car squeegee, wiping it in a cloth after each pass, to remove the heavy water.

The last thing I do then before the Polish / Sealer / Wax is go around the areas that hold water (like under the lights, licence plate, door trim) with a thin cloth to pull out all the trapped water.

Usually at this point my wife is threatening to force a minor industrial accident on me and I have to promises to do her car the next day. By Sunday night I can’t stand up straight.

thanks Jamboo.

My car has been washed so far twice and both by myself, but as polish I used turtlewax PTFE (with teflon)

When I run out, maybe I'll try that miracle but I don't have the electric polisher. Is it really hard to polish just with hands?

Unless your car has lots of swirl marks already I wouldn't actually recommend using polish. Just wash then clean and seal with the Car-Lack68 Systematic Care and coat with P21s. These both go on and come off very easily by hand. Don't leave them longer then the recommended on the instructions though as they will get more difficult to remove if you do.

An electric polisher is only really an advantage if you are trying to remove swirls, scratches or tarnish and then only ever use a random orbit polisher.

AS long as the sponge is clean you will be fine. Remember - the harder a polish/sealant glaze is to remove, the longer the "seal" will stay on the car .

You just need to allow lots of time and use the right cloths!! Microfibres are best:

PS - a rattle thread becomes a cleaning thread - I like it!

thanks.

I was thinking about it and I am not sure, if I will care so much about the car. I'm not the slave of the car, the car is my slave! :)

I like to wash my car when it's hot (although I prefer to wash my motorbike) but what do you do in winter?

btw to wash the car I use a gentle brush, which is attached to the water hose and the water pressure makes the brush to rotate. I'm able to wash the car with this and dry it within 30 minutes. But the water is spilled around during the process, so it's no way I'll do this in winter...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links