Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Please Help!

Hi.

This is my first post on this forum and I really hope somebody out there will be able to help.

I took delivery of a IS220D SE on the 16th of March, bought by PCP over 30 months with an annual mileage of 35k. The car suffered the various rattles that everybody else has already mention and Lexus Leicester has taken care of all of them even replacing a drivers seat base!

But from day 1 I have not been able to achieve any higher than 35mpg and in fact over 22000 miles I'm averaging 31.9. Initially I thought it was down to my driving but just before the cars 20000 mile service I fell upon this forum and saw that a lot of drivers are having this problem. Even better there is a fix which will push the fuel consumption up to 45mpg and also allow the use of 6th gear at 65-70mph!! I contacted Lexus Leicester to book the car in for a service and asked about the fix. I was told it cost £1000, but the warranty would cover it. I was also told that so far changing the 5th jet is only working on half of the cars fixed!

This work was carried out 4 weeks ago and unfortunately it hasn’t worked. In fact the consumption has actually dropped to 31mpg (along with a load of new rattles). I contacted Lexus Leicester and was told that they had done everything that they could and I would have to contact Lexus direct. I have contacted Lexus and been told that they will contact me with their recommendations by post.

I feel totally abandoned (as well as being out of pocket to the tune of £150 per month) and just wondered if anyone can offer any help/advice???

Harry,

mine was registered 17th march, same dealer, and ordered in January. Possibly same batch of cars.

Mine has had the injector mod, and it really hasn't improved economy, though I'm gentle with it and get low 40's (smoothness has improved).

Mine too has a load of new rattles, and is booked via the service manager for next Monday. My drivers seat too is squeaking now, funnily when I take "rolling" right turns.

The rattles - I have been convinced are as a result of poor plastics, seals and insulations. When the weather drops they come with vigour (i.e. contraction at a joint causes platsic components to move around).

I know how you feel.

I'm not driving the car at all at the moment (as of Monday this week). I want it totally fixed before I go anywhere in it. Should this continue my love affair with Lexus will end, misearbly, and it will be a german car on the drive again in March next year.

On the plus point, my relationship with Leicester has imrpoved significantly recently, and again I feel valued there. I do have confidence in key people there that they will fix mine (including the DP), so I'm hopeful.

Have you tried different fuels? With that sort of mileage I am sure that you have...

PS - "Scott" had all Injectors changed ( not just #5) and he went from 34mpg into 40's over night, and his 6th improved too (mine is OK in 6th from 60mph, though not much responsiveness).

Harry,

mine was registered 17th march, same dealer, and ordered in January. Possibly same batch of cars.

Mine has had the injector mod, and it really hasn't improved economy, though I'm gentle with it and get low 40's (smoothness has improved).

Mine too has a load of new rattles, and is booked via the service manager for next Monday. My drivers seat too is squeaking now, funnily when I take "rolling" right turns.

The rattles - I have been convinced are as a result of poor plastics, seals and insulations. When the weather drops they come with vigour (i.e. contraction at a joint causes platsic components to move around).

I know how you feel.

I'm not driving the car at all at the moment (as of Monday this week). I want it totally fixed before I go anywhere in it. Should this continue my love affair with Lexus will end, misearbly, and it will be a german car on the drive again in March next year.

On the plus point, my relationship with Leicester has imrpoved significantly recently, and again I feel valued there. I do have confidence in key people there that they will fix mine (including the DP), so I'm hopeful.

Have you tried different fuels? With that sort of mileage I am sure that you have...

PS - "Scott" had all Injectors changed ( not just #5) and he went from 34mpg into 40's over night, and his 6th improved too (mine is OK in 6th from 60mph, though not much responsiveness).

Thanks for the reply,

Leicester has suggested the fuel but this will only improve by 10% not 31!!

They contacted me just after I posted my moan this morning and now the car is going in for 3 days to be assessed. More interestingly I'm being given a IS220D as a courtesy car and it will be interesting to see if there is any difference!!

You mention that you can use 6th at 60mph, anything under 80mph with my car and your fillings would fall out!! :sick:

Harry - it definitely is in your interests to PM "scott" on this forum. He had an identical issue on a January 2006 IS220d, which is now resolved.

If I recall correctly, a chap called Richard at Poole Lexus sorted it out. Martin or someone should be able to contact him and find out what went on.

6th on mine was a problem for the first 5000 miles, and then there appeared to be a "stepped" change, where all of a sudden things improved a lot!! Now it's still gives a slightly low thrum in 6th below 70, but it's smooth and the mirror is far more stable.

Harry,

As Jamboo says I too suffered with mid 30s until the complete injector swap (all 5). My current tank average is 46.4 and I'm not the most light footed driver at all. Most of my driving is motorway and I don't tend to hang around ;)

All I can say is that you need to keep pushing Lexus. They know there is a problem and I wish they'd just come clean and sort it out for everybody else who is having the problem.

Good luck with the assessment.

Harry,

As Jamboo says I too suffered with mid 30s until the complete injector swap (all 5). My current tank average is 46.4 and I'm not the most light footed driver at all. Most of my driving is motorway and I don't tend to hang around ;)

All I can say is that you need to keep pushing Lexus. They know there is a problem and I wish they'd just come clean and sort it out for everybody else who is having the problem.

Good luck with the assessment.

Brilliant!!

Thanks for the help Scott

I'm going to give them a call now!!

i'm still getting poor economy..i am 7k miles and was going to wait until 10k service before i contacted dealership (Lexus exeter)

Yesterday I had a little argument with a pheseant which damaged my front vallance/fog light/trim and i took car round to see if the work would exceed my insurance excess (yes it does...a long way :( )

i mentioned to the girl on reception about my rattles (dash/drivers seat and drivers door) who made notes and also about my poor economy...averaging 34mpg..she looked suprised..i then griped about the reasons choosing an oil burner...better fuel economy.etc.etc and given that I'm not (this is compared to my last car - petrol mazda 6 - 28mpg)..and that diesel is 10p a litre more...not being completly happy...i offered that there is mod that can be done to resolve this issue..she denied all knowledge..asked where i got that information from..i explained from here...she gave a wry smile..but said she would look into it.

...i offered that there is mod that can be done to resolve this issue..she denied all knowledge..asked where i got that information from..i explained from here...she gave a wry smile..but said she would look into it.

Hmmmm...same response everyone gets to this forum (i.e. response of denial). They're scared of us :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links