Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello.

Just a few questions. I have a H4 Bi-Xenon headlight conversion done on my Nissan Micra driving school car. The performance of these bulbs is fantastic. I would like to get a set for my 2001 GS300. I was wondering if anyone had done this conversion on a Mk 2 GS. Also what type of bulbs would I need and could anyone recomend a company? The company I bought my kit for the Micra from no longer trades. Any help would be much appreciated. I was thinking of approaching Lexus with this but I doubt I woud have much change from a grand and also having my 60,000 mile service and cambelt change a fortnight before christmas at a Lexus main dealer means the pennies are a bit tight.

:blink:

Many thanks.

Hi

I have a set from a company that sells via eBay call Visionbulbs or something like that.

The company was recommended by a fellow member on here.

I have had mine fitted for about three months now with no problem at all bar a slight misunderstanding today with an ignorant MOT tester (no offence intended to any MOT testers on here but this guy was something of a jobsworth).

I would have thought you could get the same kit as you got for your Micra but with the correct bulb fitting for your car.

Hi Keith

Many thanks for your reply.

I have looked into the legall problems which some people seem to be confused with as regards to HID's. Some MOT testers think that if HID's are fitted, then they must also be fitted with headlamp washers and auto levelling to the headlights. This is true if HID's were supplied with the car from new. If they are fitted as an aftermarket upgrade, then the washers and levellers are not required. My HID's have even impressed examiners on driving tests where weather conditions have been poor. Never had a problem with them on MOT either.

Hopefully Father Christmas will drop a kit in my stocking. I hope I have been good enough this year. :winky: :winky:

Lots of ebay sellers of things that might be HID or doubtful look alikes.

So, the name of the reliable ebayer is ...?

Had a quick shuftie on eBay but trader seems to have stopped trading.

The trader I bought mine from was based in Canada but there was a very good UK helpline.

I posted on this a while ago so an archive search might be in order.

I have looked into the legall problems which some people seem to be confused with as regards to HID's. Some MOT testers think that if HID's are fitted, then they must also be fitted with headlamp washers and auto levelling to the headlights. This is true if HID's were supplied with the car from new. If they are fitted as an aftermarket upgrade, then the washers and levellers are not required. My HID's have even impressed examiners on driving tests where weather conditions have been poor. Never had a problem with them on MOT either.

You are correct, after market HIDs dont need washers,

Even if they did need washers, your SE spec GS, as it should have washers fitted as standard???

As for kits, drop Prolex a mail, I have them too, very good :)

The trader I bought mine from was based in Canada but there was a very good UK helpline.

I think it was THESE people Keith...

I think it was THESE people Keith...

May well have been Tony.

Although I only fitted mine recently I bought them around Xmas time last year.

In my opinion they are worth every penny.

Passed MOT alright bar minor comment on colour and no probs from other drivers flashing me.

If I can find space for the additional ballasts I am going to change my full beams.

• 3 years later...

Hi all I am looking at converting my mk1 gs to hid as my last car had them 98 vauxhall omega and omg I miss them . What collour temp do you use I was thinking about 4800 or 5000 k ones as anything bluer looks chavy and don't work as well . I was told you can't use them in the full beam on my omega as they don't react fast enough when flashing ? Was also thinking about hid fog lights as well .or am I pushing my luck . If anyone has a how to or photos of where they fitted the ballasts on a mk1 gs please let us see them thanks

Hi all I am looking at converting my mk1 gs to hid as my last car had them 98 vauxhall omega and omg I miss them . What collour temp do you use I was thinking about 4800 or 5000 k ones as anything bluer looks chavy and don't work as well . I was told you can't use them in the full beam on my omega as they don't react fast enough when flashing ? Was also thinking about hid fog lights as well .or am I pushing my luck . If anyone has a how to or photos of where they fitted the ballasts on a mk1 gs please let us see them thanks

I use 6000k hids in mine. Not too blue. No pics but I mounted my balasts inside the front bumper using one of the headlamp mount screws (remove the front indicator and you can get to the bottom outside mount). Not sure on the usefulness of hid fogs, they would be so bright you would get too much light bouncing back I would've thought. No idea on the reaction times, but it does take a second or two for the hids to warm up, but they would still probably kick out enough light on initial switch on to be of use in the main beams.

As Tigerfish says, HID's are not so good for high beam as there is a delay in them coming on 'cause they need time to warm up.

I ended up going for very bright white (Xenon like very similar to HiD colour I have in dipped beams)uprated bulbs.

My HiD kit did start to play up and I had both ballasts fail intermittently. Not to bad after nearly 5 years use, but easily replaced for cheap money.

I do still have the original bulbs though!

for my GS300 MK2 i picked cheapest hid kit on eBay. i just wanted to try them so went for cheapest one from china. and believe me it took only 3 days to get here.

kit you need is 9006 HB4 . i have had it for 8 months now and no problems at all i think i paid £60 inc delivery.

main beam, low beam and fog lights they all are same bulb type 9006 HB4.

i am running 8000k low beam and 3000k fog lights

P1020887.jpg

P1020890.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links