Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Drone From Back End Of Mki Gs

My '97 MkI GS has been developing a droning noise from what I think is the back end. The noise doesn't get worse on cornering but does seem to increase when the camber of the road is steep. I've jacked it up and checked for movement in the wheel bearings but there doesn't seem to be any. I've read that the diff, prop and drive shafts are practically indistructable.

Sometimes the noise resenates in the car with a low pitched drone. Sometimes I can hear it while accelerating and other times while throttling off - there really seems to be no hard and fast rule. It's more than just road noise and was not present when I first bought the car.

Has anyone had a simular experience or can offer any suggestions?

Thanks.

Me too,any oil in diff.?

Usually HP High pressure gear oil 80 or 90 , smells like cat pee!.....is the right stiuff in ?

Checked the diff oil and it's full, can't say it smelt of cat pee though, just like oil. Whether it's the right stuff I don't know, had the car since March and it's not been changed since.

Did have the rear tracking adjusted (or so they told me, I watched them do it and all I saw was them struggling to loosen a nut and then seem to give up and tell me they'd done it) and I've only really noticed the noise since then. Everything underneath seems tight. I thought about a geometry check at Lexus but at £111.00 not sure whether it would solve anything.

Thanks for your responses.

My '97 MkI GS has been developing a droning noise from what I think is the back end. The noise doesn't get worse on cornering but does seem to increase when the camber of the road is steep. I've jacked it up and checked for movement in the wheel bearings but there doesn't seem to be any. I've read that the diff, prop and drive shafts are practically indistructable.

Sometimes the noise resenates in the car with a low pitched drone. Sometimes I can hear it while accelerating and other times while throttling off - there really seems to be no hard and fast rule. It's more than just road noise and was not present when I first bought the car.

Thanks.

Ok, I gotta ask .... if you've changed wife recently, then did you remember to replace the mother-in-law? Sometimes placing one of these on either rear seat can produce a droning or whining sound ocassionally leading to a headache in severe circumstances.

Mind you, the droning in mine increases with cornering and especially at speed. I've also found that the droning continues with the engine off and even when in the house.

Good luck with your diagnostics!!

Paul

Me too,any oil in diff.?

Usually HP High pressure gear oil 80 or 90 , smells like cat pee!.....is the right stiuff in ?

Checked the diff oil and it's full, can't say it smelt of cat pee though, just like oil. Whether it's the right stuff I don't know, had the car since March and it's not been changed since.

Did have the rear tracking adjusted (or so they told me, I watched them do it and all I saw was them struggling to loosen a nut and then seem to give up and tell me they'd done it) and I've only really noticed the noise since then. Everything underneath seems tight. I thought about a geometry check at Lexus but at £111.00 not sure whether it would solve anything.

Thanks for your responses.

My thought's are they've overdone the tracking causing the tyres to "scrub", hence the increased road noise :winky:

Thanks.

Ok, I gotta ask .... if you've changed wife recently, then did you remember to replace the mother-in-law? Sometimes placing one of these on either rear seat can produce a droning or whining sound ocassionally leading to a headache in severe circumstances.

Mind you, the droning in mine increases with cornering and especially at speed. I've also found that the droning continues with the engine off and even when in the house.

Paul

Did a full replacement a few years ago, even got the service history license stamped by the local registra - they say that aides re-sale but I'm not sure about that. But anyway, current upgrade is running well and no breakdown services required to date.

Thanks for the help - ever thought of working for a main dealer?

GS

• 1 month later...

Thanks.

Paul

Did a full replacement a few years ago, even got the service history license stamped by the local registra - they say that aides re-sale but I'm not sure about that. But anyway, current upgrade is running well and no breakdown services required to date.

GS

Just as an update I thought this may help if anyone else has suffered this problem.

The answer lay in the geometry and worn rear tyres. I got a full geometry check with tony (wheels In-motion) and he found a number of areas which were quite a bit out. Most of the noise disappeared once the geometry was right and the remaining noise disappeared once the rear tyres were replaced, There was severe wear on the inner edges of both rear tyres.

Hope this helps anyone else who may be getting the droning from the rear.

GS Sport.

Thanks.

Paul

GS

Just as an update I thought this may help if anyone else has suffered this problem.

The answer lay in the geometry and worn rear tyres. I got a full geometry check with tony (wheels In-motion) and he found a number of areas which were quite a bit out. Most of the noise disappeared once the geometry was right and the remaining noise disappeared once the rear tyres were replaced, There was severe wear on the inner edges of both rear tyres.

GS Sport.

Maybe I was right then... :winky:

Thanks.

Paul

GS

GS Sport.

Looks that way, thanks.

Another note I'd forgot to mention for anyone looking for cheapy 275 x 35 x 18's, try Nankang from mytyres.co.uk - £86.00 ea inc delivery :D

Thanks.

Paul

GS

GS Sport.

Looks that way, thanks.

Another note I'd forgot to mention for anyone looking for cheapy 275 x 35 x 18's, try Nankang from mytyres.co.uk - £86.00 ea inc delivery :D

Good peice of info that.

£86 per tyre delivered is cheap, im after a set soon my self wll check em out

Thanks.

Paul

GS

GS Sport.

Looks that way, thanks.

Good peice of info that.

£86 per tyre delivered is cheap, im after a set soon my self wll check em out

I had mine put on, valved and balanced at a local Formula 1st yesterday for £15.00 a side, you can get cheaper but the average age of employee at our Formula 1st is 40 not 15 ;) Glad to be of help.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links