Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking To Buy Mk2 Or Mk3 Which Is Best

Hello all,

I have just joined the forum and am looking to make my motoring life a whole lot more enjoyable.

What I would like to know is which model is better built the mk2 or mk3 ls400, have they both got non interferance engines. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Hi and Welcome to LOC :)

At the End of the day its more down to the condition of the cars you look at.

Id rather buy on condition,when i was looking for a LS i was thinking the newer the better but in the end i went for a mk1 because it was the best one i could find in my area.

If youve got the money id go for a mk4 ;)

Agree with others about Ser 4. BUT, if you can't afford -say-£6K, then Ser 3 ideally. Will try and attach Setright article from 'Car' mag 1995, giving the differences/improvements between 2 + 3. If I can't attach it, send me your e-maill address and I'll mail it?

I bought a Ser 3 and was very happy with it, but Ser 4 has Traction control which was that extra bit of piece of mind.

Sorry...attachment won't drop in here. Get in touch!

my 91 import celsior has traction control is it much improved on the newer models ?? as i find this bloody good,have tried it on grass and wet round-a-bouts and it works fine, and for £1500 your into crocked mondeo money,very happy bunny !!!!!!!!!!

If its a question of Mk2 vs Mk3, I think looks wise Mk3 looks better, it has a slightly longer wheelbase ( 2" extra legroom for rear passengers apparently) so its got the prestige limo type look. Mk3 also has 260 bhp vs 240 bhp with the mk2. The interior of the Mk3 is identical to the mk4 (apart from the sat nav of course) so it looks very uptodate inside. Mk3 has heated seats at the back. (not sure if mk2 has rear heated seats). I’m not sure (please correct me if I’m wrong) but I think mk3 onwards also has 4 pistons in each calliper at the front brakes. These uprated brakes are amazing how they can bring this huge 1.8 tonne car to a stop, just feels fantastic.

If you go for mk4, now that’s a different story. Still keep your eyes peeled, you never know there could be a good bargain around. When I think of changing my mk4 for an Mk1 LS430 I can’t really justify spending the extra cash to myself, because I’m not gaining a huge amount in terms of core mechanical technology apart from air suspension. Even then I would hardly call the coil suspension ride of the mk4 shabby. My point being there is a BIG jump in technology from a Mk3 to a Mk4 LS400 and relatively little different between a Mk4 LS400 and a mk1 ls430.

I really want a LS460...I might even take maneesh's advice :hehe:

Hi

Thanks for the info gents, went to look at a mk3 yesterday advertised on loot1996/P met green 75k no history £2495.glad I didn't have to travel far. both sides full of filler resprayed by ray charles. windscreen with more cracks than the san andreas fault, needless to say I didn't bother to knock to take it for a test drive.

The shame about it was,by waiting 2 days to veiw this one which was how shall I put it ( not quite a true discription over the phone) I missed a 2 owner 49500 miler mk2 full history 1993 £2500 180 miles away

but now sold.

I have time so im sure I will find one .

I have also come across an exerlent DIY site loads of in depth repair info.

Hi

Thanks for the info gents, went to look at a mk3 yesterday advertised on loot1996/P met green 75k no history £2495.glad I didn't have to travel far. both sides full of filler resprayed by ray charles. windscreen with more cracks than the san andreas fault, needless to say I didn't bother to knock to take it for a test drive.

The shame about it was,by waiting 2 days to veiw this one which was how shall I put it ( not quite a true discription over the phone) I missed a 2 owner 49500 miler mk2 full history 1993 £2500 180 miles away

but now sold.

I have time so im sure I will find one .

I have also come across an exerlent DIY site loads of in depth repair info.

hi i am a rangerover man through and through but i bought a mk1 ls400 6 weeks ago and was very impressed by it and it only cost a grand , an ebay special :) so when i saw another a 1995 mk2 158000 mls on the clock service history dec mot and july tax with a buy it now price of £1500 i had to have a go , i travel 210 mls for it and got it for £1250.00 and its mint , other than a very small dent in nsr door the size of a 5p and a 8inch scratch on the osr door / c post other than that the car drive like a dream and really is absolutely faultless ( i still have my lpg rangerover which is a completely differant machine , and a pleasure to drive ) but i am truly impressed by the lexus build quality and sheer driveability , the point i am trying to make though is if you take the time to look and choose carefully there are many examples out there to be had for peanuts pricewise , and are in another league from the usual £1000-£2000 run abouts that are on offer good luck with your search mate.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links