Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strut Brace Modification

Rob's Lexx

As the Katayama Brace doesn't fit over the TTE airbox and because i like it so much (does look very nice under the hood IMHO), i have been thinking about adapting it so that it 'should' fit.

This is what i have in mind:

testbracepic.jpg

Does anyone know if this will still make the brace effective and also if it will still be safe fitted like this as obviously the main cross of the brace will be IN FRONT of its attachment to the suspension struts.

Cheers

Rob

not sure about your brand but the cusco one fits if you bent it slightly - ask bazza as he has done it. Others took a hacksaw to the strut brace which rather defeats the main objective

not sure about your brand but the cusco one fits if you bent it slightly - ask bazza as he has done it. Others took a hacksaw to the strut brace which rather defeats the main objective

its the prolex katayama strut brace, which costs a fair bit and looks ace so i'd like to keep it is feasable.

no point hacking it away which is why i have thought about this route.

Not sure about this Rob, but I would think it would place more stress on the upper pillow ball mounts (?) as it is mounted in front of them, rather than in line? There would be quite a bit of strain on the bolts as the car flex I would have thought.

Jamie

I'd sell the Prolex one and buy one that would fit easier, Cusco do one for the Altezza which should fit the IS200 too. heres the one i have

dsc00392by9.jpg

dsc00391jb6.jpg

dsc00408fl3.jpg

the concept of the the strut bar needs to be considered

the idea of the brace is to brace the suspension mounts to reduce the flex in the cars chassis

there is no strength to the cusco brace it is made of lightweight alloy, its strength lies in its direct straight position between the mounts,

forces put upon it are purely lateral, if it was ( shaped it would bend and flex taking the weakest path, the alternative would be to equal the forces out by making it equalateral in shape as in ( ) shape, so the forces would act against each other and provide the strength required

the concept of the the strut bar needs to be considered

the idea of the brace is to brace the suspension mounts to reduce the flex in the cars chassis

there is no strength to the cusco brace it is made of lightweight alloy, its strength lies in its direct straight position between the mounts,

forces put upon it are purely lateral, if it was ( shaped it would bend and flex taking the weakest path, the alternative would be to equal the forces out by making it equalateral in shape as in ( ) shape, so the forces would act against each other and provide the strength required

So your saying my Cusco one is no good?

Not sure about this Rob, but I would think it would place more stress on the upper pillow ball mounts (?) as it is mounted in front of them, rather than in line? There would be quite a bit of strain on the bolts as the car flex I would have thought.

Jamie

I'd sell the Prolex one and buy one that would fit easier, Cusco do one for the Altezza which should fit the IS200 too. heres the one i have

dsc00392by9.jpg

dsc00391jb6.jpg

dsc00408fl3.jpg

the Altezza and IS 200 are completly different engines, the only way to fit the cusco one is to turn it around, if you have a supercharger fitted it becomes a very tight fit and needs modification

see here

the Altezza and IS 200 are completly different engines, the only way to fit the cusco one is to turn it around, if you have a supercharger fitted it becomes a very tight fit and needs modification

see here

I know the engines are totally different, just on the packaging that came with mine its said it was for the AS200/altezza, so i thought it would fit both engines, i thought the AS200 had the same 1G-FE engine as the IS200?

see here

I know the engines are totally different, just on the packaging that came with mine its said it was for the AS200/altezza, so i thought it would fit both engines, i thought the AS200 had the same 1G-FE engine as the IS200?

my point was it will only fit the AS200, by turning it around, :blush:

but it doesnt allow for a supercharger being fitted without modification

so this method won't work then.....in the sense that it will not be effective like this??

to be honest with you, it doesn't look like there is much room to fit any sort of brace over the airbox without it catching the bonnet.

maybe i'll just sack the idea, sell the brace and put that money towards some ARB's??? as they will do a whole lot more than just the brace.....

Can't you get mounts from Dave that will enable it to fit over the airbox? He says here that these will fit with the EDFC mounts.

Anybody know if there are any that fit over the TTE airbox without having to be "altered" (other than those in the link above)?

Can't you get mounts from Dave that will enable it to fit over the airbox? He says here that these will fit with the EDFC mounts.

Anybody know if there are any that fit over the TTE airbox without having to be "altered" (other than those in the link above)?

no mate, these fit the EDFC towers because the mount has more room for them, it doesn't make a difference to the actual clearance height of the brace IIRC

its a shame as IMO the Katayama is the best looking brace available

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links