Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

May be it's just me, but things in life aren't simple. As a new Lexus owner (though the relationship started December 2005) with my first Lexus I had some expectations:

#1 Cust Sat

#1 reliability

#1 for depreciation

#1 Build quality

etc

I know a lot of new IS owners have come over rom the darker side (Audi, BMW, MB, Jag etc), but my findings have been mixed and a part of me is still left wanting:

My German cars were, on the whole, very well made, and fairly trouble free. They were cheap to run, and held their value reasonably well. The biggest problem for me was the "...can't care; don't care..." attitude of the dealers and because that is what I expected, they always met my expectations - that for me was the biggest turn off and so I eventually defected!! They were also expensive to spec up and were common!!

However, 18 months into the relationship and I find that whilst the Lexus new (g2) IS is fantastically beautiful to look at, and the dealer is head and shoulders better than the competition, I haven't been wowed as much as I hoped. Like I say - maybe it's me or my dealer experience - but I've had everthing from lost cheques, to missing chrome valve shafts, to a badly assembled car...loads of warranty visits...

I know some of you will be thinking "...here he goes again - whinge whinge...", but I'd like to know honestly whether any of the current G2 IS owners who have never had a Lexus before have had their expectations matched, beaten, and whether they would buy another Lexus again. The question is ideally to people who have had the New IS as their first ever Lexus, and have had it for more than 1 year/10000miles.

PS - for me - well I might consider a Lexus again, but I would never buy a new "New" model and it would be a Hybrid...

PPS - should have added - I have test driven lots of cars of late - from the 159 to the new C Class and am tempted with the latter - but would I ever buy a new "new" model again of any marque? I think now...I'm waiting for the new A4 befoer I decide whether it's worth the hassle of poor customer service, which is what really is stopping me from taking delivery of a new C220d Elegance Auto available right now!!

Funnily enough, for the last 2 weeks I have been driving round in - a Mercedes C-class 220D Auto Elegance! My 07 plate, 700 mile IS250 SE Auto is the bodyshop having its back end pulled out after a coming together with a Transit on the outside lane of the motorway (*sob*).

OK the Mercedes is a an old model 56 Reg and a very nice car but it doesn't appeal to me the same way as the Lexus. First impressions are it's well put together, although the cloth seats feel a bit cheap - deffo needs leather - and the engine growls a bit round town making it seem like a taxi, but I haven't got any real complaints. A couple of minor ones - the fuel consumption isn't great - I can't get over 38mpg no matter how I drive it and most of my run to work is on dual carriageway. The stereo is only ok and the steering is a bit heavy. Other than that a nice motor - even if you do feel a bit of an old man driving it. If Lexus did an auto diesel IS I would take it over the Merc anytime though.

Come trade-in time, I'll probably end up defecting to one of the German brands, simply becuase Lexus do not offer an auto diesel, who knows, by the time I do decide to chop in my IS200, Lexus may have come up with a auto diesel....

Like a few people have said in the past, an auto diesel is something Lexus could have done with in their range, although from what I have read, their hybrid cars seem good....

My first IS...

wonderful to look at from the outside. A very nice looking car that makes me look twice.

inside again the dash area is good, toys fantastic.....

but, this will be my first and last lexus.

main reasons?

build quality that leads me to have no faith in the car

repair times that take ages.

dealers who forget car collections.

and compared to my last car....

performance, didnt quite realise how much I would miss that T5 engine

comfort, out of all the cars I have owned my previous volvo (s60) just was the most comfortable I have ever been in.

I have never owned the same marque car more than once. When I chose the lexus I decided on it over the new volvo S80.

I know when the lease on this one is over I will be returning to volvo, who will have a new s60 out by then.

The old and new Merc C class are miles apart - the new one is excellent and more importantly an auto diesel which is bigger!!

if expensive...but I can live without so many of the Lex niceties -

Keyless

Ventilated leather

etc

My neighbour has the new C220D Sport and to be honest it's a curious mix of styling - I prefer the one I've got right now.

I've been in my Lexus IS220d MM for 7 months now and am highly delighted with it. I've certainly not had the problems some of the people on this forum (especially you Jamboo) have had, in fact mine has been completely trouble free.

Everyone who gets in it has complemented me on my choice.

I've had a number of bad experiences of BMW customer service and when trying to get a price/test drive from my local Merc dealer the experience put me off from ever visiting them again. I looked at the Audi A4 but thought the Lexus was a better deal when you add all the goodies which are included in the price.

With regards to your main criteria:

Cust Sat - Excellent

Reliability - Perfect

Depreciation - Fine, the lease deal I got (which is invariably built on residual value) made it actually cheaper than a top spec Passat

Build quality - Superb

You sound like you've got a lemon which will inevitably distort your view...

Cheers buddy - if there's a Lemon around, I'm bound to get it!

I've ditched that Merc idea!

So it's Good bye MB

Having discussed this at home, we will be sticking with the Lexus for the next few years and probably go Audi again after the new model has had it's first face lift (probably 2011) or the RS4 if I can find a good'n in my price range in the meantime (probably another 18 months). I really don't want "frying pan to fire", I'm all burnt out already!!

Keyless

Ventilated leather

etc

I've used my old car (now inherited by 'er indoors) as it's a hatchback to take stuff to the tip etc., it's a fairly bog standard Focus and fumbling for keys has become a pain and when you've been struggling to lift a piece of furniture into the skip and are all hot and bothered, a cool breeze across the old jacksy would be good...

You don't know what you've got till it's gone (hey that would make a great line for a song...).

All cars are a compromise but IMO the Lexus has managed to hit a lot of the right buttons. There really is only one thing I would change and that would be to have an auto box.

Would I have another one, yes, certainly but in a couple of years time when it's time to change, the bar will have been raised and all the manufacturers will have risen to the challenge and Lexus might not be top of the pile then.

My IS300 is due for a change next June, I've tried the IS250 but it just didn't give me the buzz I get with my IS300. Maybe if the IS350 came then I'd look again but at the moment it looks like I'm going to have a few test drives & see what happens.

I guess I'm realy suprised by the dealers attitude when I ask if the IS350 will ever come here, no demand for big engines they say :sleeping: . Oh well, maybe everyone else that matters has got it wrong :P .

Keyless

Ventilated leather

etc

I've used my old car (now inherited by 'er indoors) as it's a hatchback to take stuff to the tip etc., it's a fairly bog standard Focus and fumbling for keys has become a pain and when you've been struggling to lift a piece of furniture into the skip and are all hot and bothered, a cool breeze across the old jacksy would be good...

You don't know what you've got till it's gone (hey that would make a great line for a song...).

All cars are a compromise but IMO the Lexus has managed to hit a lot of the right buttons. There really is only one thing I would change and that would be to have an auto box.

Would I have another one, yes, certainly but in a couple of years time when it's time to change, the bar will have been raised and all the manufacturers will have risen to the challenge and Lexus might not be top of the pile then.

I go from elation to dispair regularly, as it both impresses and frustrates!

Our other car has a key, and It's cool, so everyone to their own. But you are right, I suppose I might miss those things.

The Lexus still makes me smile when it doesn't rattle, and standing at the lights next to a new 3 series is fun...'cos it look dour compared to the IS and you always catch the driver taking a sneak look.... :whistling:

In the meantime the decision is made - for me it's Lexus for a few years yet...

my first lexus coming from zee germans, overall very impressed. reckon the paint is a bit soft but dats prob across d board wit new cars. have pretty much decided on a new 220 nex jan (dats wen plates change in ireland) & considering colours and spec at the moment, like the look of ur messa red jamboo but would preffer if it was a bit brighter. didn't have the problems wit rattles or fuel consumption dat others have had, car is ice blue Jan 2006 wit 29000 km (18000 miles) on the clock. returning 42mpg from new, hits late 40's on long jourhneys and late 30's short/town.

My IS300 is due for a change next June, I've tried the IS250 but it just didn't give me the buzz I get with my IS300. Maybe if the IS350 came then I'd look again but at the moment it looks like I'm going to have a few test drives & see what happens.

I guess I'm realy suprised by the dealers attitude when I ask if the IS350 will ever come here, no demand for big engines they say :sleeping: . Oh well, maybe everyone else that matters has got it wrong :P .

I know what you mean, It's just not enough to make me want to part with my cash.

The IS300 is just too good :hehe:

Hi Jambo ,

its taken lexus 3 weeks plus to quote me a price for a is 250 auto se-l auto on contract hire , I have stayed loyal to the lexus brand after having a nightmare with my first Lexus - RX 300 se-l and loosing my shirt on it .Very disapointed in the responce combined with all the small niggles with my IS I am going to make the jump and buy my company car from the dark side .I have found a rare BMW dealer who makes you feel like a customer and has a product to match what I want - 320d m auto coupe - great drive -great engine - good gearbox- good mpg - good emissions for tax reasons- (sat nav interesting)- unless lexus can respond with a craking deal who knows in a years time when its time to change my IS 250 auto mm it could follow down the same route.

cheers

swager

I've an 07 IS250. I've only had it 6 months, but have 15K km on the clock so almost your 10k miles ;)

I'm very happy with my car. Only two disappointments.

1. Despite the 07 model, there are still rattles. In fairness my dealer solved almost all of them. One they failed to solve, and another one or two minor ones have developed in other areas since. They are less than I've been used to in other cars, but it's a matter of expectation, and I didn't expect ANY rattles, minor or otherwise, in my Lexus.

2. I left it in for it's first service recently. Lexus kindly offered to touch up some paint marks (none of which were my fault!) free of charge. They did this, less than perfect, but since it was foc I've no complaints. However they did return it with a NEW scrap on the passenger door handle. Too small to complain and make an issue of. I've always dreaded leading a car into a garage as they always seem to suffer from some sort of garage rash, but again it's one of expectation, and I would have expected more from a premium marke.

Other than the minor scrape in the garage, I've been very happy with the service I've received from the dealer, from demo to 1st service.

On the up side, I love the power of my IS250. I've no problem with the 27mpg as it's more than I was expecting (again expectations are what counts!) and I'm constantly getting compliments on the car.

This is my first Lexus, and I would certainly consider another one, though I'm not so sure about the styling of the other models! I just wish they could produce a car that was rattle free, first time, and stayed rattle free........I'd happily pay them more if they could guarantee this.

I would never consider a diesel Lexus though, having had a diesel IS as a courtesy car.....the diesel and the petrol and worlds apart in my view, and the refinement of the petrol is definately worth the extra running costs.

Colm

I've an 07 IS250. I've only had it 6 months, but have 15K km on the clock so almost your 10k miles ;)

1. Despite the 07 model, there are still rattles. In fairness my dealer solved almost all of them. One they failed to solve, and another one or two minor ones have developed in other areas since. They are less than I've been used to in other cars, but it's a matter of expectation, and I didn't expect ANY rattles, minor or otherwise, in my Lexus.

2. I left it in for it's first service recently. Lexus kindly offered to touch up some paint marks (none of which were my fault!) free of charge. They did this, less than perfect, but since it was foc I've no complaints. However they did return it with a NEW scrap on the passenger door handle. Too small to complain and make an issue of. I've always dreaded leading a car into a garage as they always seem to suffer from some sort of garage rash, but again it's one of expectation, and I would have expected more from a premium marke.

Other than the minor scrape in the garage, I've been very happy with the service I've received from the dealer, from demo to 1st service.

On the up side, I love the power of my IS250. I've no problem with the 27mpg as it's more than I was expecting (again expectations are what counts!) and I'm constantly getting compliments on the car.

This is my first Lexus, and I would certainly consider another one, though I'm not so sure about the styling of the other models! I just wish they could produce a car that was rattle free, first time, and stayed rattle free........I'd happily pay them more if they could guarantee this.

I would never consider a diesel Lexus though, having had a diesel IS as a courtesy car.....the diesel and the petrol and worlds apart in my view, and the refinement of the petrol is definately worth the extra running costs.

Colm

Colm

Reading Colm's letter I'm surprised that he gets 'rattles' in his IS250. Also, a tip he may like to try out is a change of fuel grade. I was getting 26/30 mpg from standard 95Ron supermarket fuel. 3 months ago I switched to a higher grade e.g. Tesco Greenergy, and since then have enjoyed 33/35 mpg which more than compensates for the extra cost, at the same time better for the engine.

I travel on average about 275 miles a week.

Albert

Thanks for the replies guys - just to add - my Lexus has now started to creak around the centre consose by the knee - something it never suffered from before. It creaks even when you take a corner and the knee was no where near it!! It could be as a result of the dash out remedial work. Has anyone had this and has it been totally fixed?

Yesterday was the first time since the fix. Also the dash rattle returned for a few minutes yesterday in the morning when cold.

I'm now convinced that if the new IS rattles, it will carry on, and fixes may delay the inevitable. There are one or 2 bad cars out there - mine just happens to be one of them. I have had a letter from my dealer asking if I everthing is sorted since the last fix, and I will respod back later next week after I have spent more time in the car.

Having said all of this, it is a car and I'm sure there are good and bad ones out there of all makes. In the past I was very lucky.

What I do know is how solid a new 5 series is in comparison. Boring to look at inside, but very well put together and zero creaks. That's where I would say the Lexus needs to be at a minimum consistently.

On a plus note, I can now get high 40's-low 50's on a Motorway run at the legal limit, and the car will take 6th gear between 55 and 70 (though towards 55-60 the acceleration is slow)!

Picking up an Is220d SE tomorrow after moving out of a TT, looked at the following, Audi A4, BMW 3 series & Merc C Class. Car is for the wife to drive in and she is well chuffed.

Audi A4 was the only serious contender but as it's due to get changed soon decided against it, also spec levels weren't the best, SLine special edition was the only one that came close and still had to spend money getting it to a similar level.

Bmw was ok, but when you look at spending 3.5 grand to try to get a similar spec with items still missing is it worth it for BMW snobbery / status? I don't think so!! Ok may be a better car to drive but how often is the wife going see how fast it will do 0-60 and handle on a country road? Not very often if at all...

The new C class is out and are hard to get hold of and you pay a premium for a car with not a lot in it.

The lexus gave us everthing you could ask for. Smart looking car, comfortable interior, good residual and space in the back when a junior comes along.

As it's brand new hopefully won't come with optional extra's of faulty 5th injector, shaky mirror & set of shakers behind the dash.

At least don't remember asking for these to be added.

Good luck buddy, be hopeful - yours will be fine.

I've been considering brand hops of late which was one of the reasons I started this thread. I wanted to know if I was the only one questioning my move.

Things haven't really improved on my car in 17 months of ownership and my story isn't a good one. Some of the annoyance have gone (squeaky seat) but replaced by new ones (squeaky console), but am reluctant to hop just yet. So far the dealership is doing eveything imaginable to help, and so I'm still, even now, hopeful.

Once it's out of warranty, however, I can't be held responsible for my actions (IYKWIM) if it continues to rattle! I could just defect!!

The plan was to keep the car for 6 years, but it's looking like 3 now. Not something I planned for, and I really won't get a brand new car again...but one that still has sufficient manufacturers warranty to get anything like this fixed.

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

I've had my first Lexus for three weeks now - it's a 220D Sport, was seven months old & 13K miles. I've done 1400 miles, mostly motorway...

Still have my previous car - Alfa GT 2.0 JTS. It's mostly parked-up, on sale awaiting a decent offer. :whistling:

Chalk & cheese - a heavy rear-wheel drive luxury diesel saloon from a light front-wheel drive petrol coupe. It's 'interesting' adjusting to the Lexus!

Reasons for changing car type (coupe to saloon) are personal & work.

Reasons for changing car brand are obvious - I've had two Alfas, 150K miles of joy (to drive), despair (at problems) and frustration (at the poor resolution to the problems). Alfa dealers were good - in that they were helpful and supportive (much investigation for free), but sloppy (fixes requiring subsequent fixes).

I was half-tempted to try an Alfa 159, at first. I soon came to my senses...

Jag - may as well has stuck with Alfa.

VAG - yawn... may as well have gone for a Ford!

BMW - would merge into company car park - wanted to stand out...

New Merc C-Class - surprisingly bland-looking. Poor basic spec.

I have yet to experience post-sale customer service, but the sales-cycle was decent. And, I certainly expect residual values of Lexus to be a little better than Alfa!

So far - so good. The fuel consumption seems fine to me, performance is OK round town and top-notch on the motorway. I expect to be able to keep the Lexus for over five years - my Alfa expectation was for three... Fingers crossed!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links