Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Installing A New Tte Spring

the cable is meant to be slack - but take a pic pls.

good way to check if all is working is turn ign key untill all the dash lights come on then u can move the throttle pedal or the throttle drum at the throttle and then watch the movement of the bypass.

Looking at the pic yemgi put up, his is a lot more slack than mine.

the cable is meant to be slack - but take a pic pls.

good way to check if all is working is turn ign key untill all the dash lights come on then u can move the throttle pedal or the throttle drum at the throttle and then watch the movement of the bypass.

Looking at the pic yemgi put up, his is a lot more slack than mine.

yemgi put up a pic of my bypass.... but i know what you mean i have seen other cars with slightly less slack

does the cable from the throttle to the bypass need to be touched or undone in order to fit the new spring?

if not, surely there should be no issues with how slack it needs to be (i.e slack shouldn't be any different to before changing springs over)

does the cable from the throttle to the bypass need to be touched or undone in order to fit the new spring?

if not, surely there should be no issues with how slack it needs to be (i.e slack shouldn't be any different to before changing springs over)

No you dont have to touch the cable Rob.

Just drove on the motorway with the new spring installed and it jammed with the bypass open, has anyone had the same problem?

it wouldnt stick open it would stick closed - if it was stuck open then there is something seriously wrong.

mine stuck closed once but i treated the bypass flapper and components (thats why its grey in the pic) and its been silky smooth ever since.

Have look where the arm of the bypass travels - has it scraped along the machined aluminium surface below it?

when you tightened the nut how did you stop the bypass shaft from turning?

when you looked at the bypass and saw it was stuck closed how easy was it to move the levr to get it to open

there are 3 possible positions to put the end of the spring ( the dog leg end) where is yours? Look at the pic mine is in the middle

Just drove on the motorway with the new spring installed and it jammed with the bypass open, has anyone had the same problem?

it wouldnt stick open it would stick closed - if it was stuck open then there is something seriously wrong.

mine stuck closed once but i treated the bypass flapper and components (thats why its grey in the pic) and its been silky smooth ever since.

Have look where the arm of the bypass travels - has it scraped along the machined aluminium surface below it?

when you tightened the nut how did you stop the bypass shaft from turning?

when you looked at the bypass and saw it was stuck closed how easy was it to move the levr to get it to open

there are 3 possible positions to put the end of the spring ( the dog leg end) where is yours? Look at the pic mine is in the middle

Hi i think i sorted it, the spring was scraping against the washer and this was causing the bypas to remain open as the spring was not pushing the bypass closed. I have installed it exactly the same as in the pic.

I decided if everyone else had one, i needed a new spring so i emailed TTE on Monday and requested one.

It arrived this morning so i've just fitted it, and i'm glad i did, My charger had both springs fitted, (a coil type one, and the new type.) However the new type one had snapped!

Anyway all installed now.

Stav

hmm, bit weird that stav. should have only had one type in - i've heard if you run both then one is likely to break.

So you justhave the new one in now?

any differences you've noticed?

will hopefully pop mine on tomorrow - and i bloody hope its a smoother operation than the shifter :lol: :lol:

Hi i think i sorted it, the spring was scraping against the washer and this was causing the bypas to remain CLOSED as the spring was not pushing the bypass OPEN. I have installed it exactly the same as in the pic.

I have fixed it for you. :winky:

One question for you fluff, with standard setup does the bypass ever go Fully Closed ?

I have checked and yes the bypass closes fully with full throttle - I can see the witness mark on the inside of the bypass valve body.

Hello

I have also had problem with the new spring. Because the plain washer, on top of the spring, is made of aluminium it gets worn and the spring started sticking -> didnt Fully Open.

Changed the washer to steel-made and it works now. Suggest u check yours.

• 1 year later...

I got my new upgraded spring today ( Thanks to Rob's Lexx ) but I dont understand the bit of information above when Rob says there are 3 possible positions to put the end of the spring ( the dog leg end) could some one please explain this.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links