Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chris200 Pt2

chrisis200

Glad to be of help mate, for footwell lights... use the feed to the ignition ring light.

This will feed whatever 12v light you use with the same as the dome light, so it will fade out after a delay.

Remember to fuse it.

My thread when I did mine...remember what I said above in bold & make it easy on yourself :unsure:

th_Vid2.jpg

Haha of course Wozza, I couldnt of done it your way even if I tried anyway mate lol ;)

So the next little side project I'm entertaining myself with is the refurb of my stock wheels, after seeing the pics of Chris's(Aztec again lol) refurb. I had the pleasure of asking him many questions at the Time Attack Day and he had to answer them, he couldnt just logg off haha ;) he was very helpful an gave me a list of products an tips to get me started. Of course by yesterday i had forgotten all that information, so he sent me what to do in a PM, very helpfull again thanks Chris.

So I thought lets test it on the spare wheel, if this goes wrong no one will really see it then ;) but first I had to remove the subs to get the wheel out lol..

This was covered earlier in my progress that I changed to 2 vibe subs off eBay for dirt cheap an there still banging hard an crisp :D

DSC00429.jpg

I then printed Chris's tips off & went off to Halfords to get my tools :D Primer, Many Sandpapers, Paint, Laquer, white spirit, I bloody forgot the masking tape, getting tomorrow...

DSC00407.jpg

Then spare wheel out, it's not actually the spare I changed it due to the great inside tyre wear some time ago, so it's the 10yr old wheel really which has been used alot hence paint coming off an a few lovely curb marks..

DSC00432.jpg

Some of the damage to be fixed:

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

I will be doing this work at my parents double garage as I live in a flat an cant do it there, didnt realise how messy it was with crap.. Alot of it my brothers & my cars stuff lol..

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

While searching the garage for space I found a cover for the engine Jason_L sold to me which I will be polishing up an sticking on over the weekend I expect

DSC00430.jpg

Also if the wheels go totally wrong I'll be getting the 19's back on

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

Well sanding & primer action hopefully starting tomorrow & Sat will update you with the progress, also just recieved these in the post, a clay bar to clean the car as I heard they were really good. But it's just been to wet recently, looking forward to see how it works though when it dries up abit.

DSC00440.jpg

looking promising chris.

how will you fill in those curb marks mate?? some look pretty deep.....

will the final paint finish be durable enough just using spray tin paints?? i guess with a lot of laquer it should be ok??

make sure u use a decent sealant after u hit the car with the clay bar. pm me if u want some advice on that front mate as there's a whole heap of stuff out there....

looking promising chris.

how will you fill in those curb marks mate?? some look pretty deep.....

will the final paint finish be durable enough just using spray tin paints?? i guess with a lot of laquer it should be ok??

make sure u use a decent sealant after u hit the car with the clay bar. pm me if u want some advice on that front mate as there's a whole heap of stuff out there....

Reference the curb marks Rob, I have no idea. It's alot harder than I thought, been sanding by hand for hours an to be honest it didnt look to good. There is filler I can get that I may try later, but I think the answer was to use some sort of power sander. I've attempted to do this all with the tyre on which I do not recommend, stupid idea..

Sprayed it with some grey primer to check out the imperfections an there all pretty much round the edge as you said, alot of it isnt curbing to be honest it's the old lacquer & paint that has flaked off. Which makes me think the sanding I did hasn't really taken off the old lacquer & paint. So waiting for Aztec to reply about this & any tips, but some sort of power tool is probably needed I expected an just sand it down till it's smoothed.

Reference the paint, I'm told heaps of lacquer should protect it enough fingers crossed, but we may not get that far lol ;)

for £200 you can get them done anywhere to your color of choice, so far £30 spent :S outcome looking grim, tomorrow may bring better things though hopefully :)

Quick update as progress has been slow as been side tracked with troubles, the mrs car is totally :tsktsk: so she's been stealing the lex. Of which got a puncture an cost me £76 today for a new tyre gutted, when it rains it pours. So back to the wheel refurb, my advice is to pay the pro's not liking it at the mo. Upto about £40 in costs an it's not looking as good as I hoped, on one hand the wheels could not look worse then they did lol.. On another they look like I did them in my garage with a spray can a few pics of progress.

Primerd up first attempt, looks ok at a distance, closer inspection it was :tsktsk:

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

The problem is that I'm doing it on the tyre so cant sand down the side of the rim which has crap an old paint all over it, which is wrecking it. If I attempt to do the rest I shall price up removing the tyres etc an having them put back on but i'm looking at £10 a removal I think which is just a joke...

A plus point is that I found a electric sander an redid those edges & got the curb marks out alot better. The pics above I believe where before I used it, although the bits on the edges where still hard to sort with the tyre on an look a state. After the hassle I had, I had to proceed to spray them white to see how it looks anyway. See pic below...

DSC00444.jpg

This was still wet an may need another coat but I quite liked them, if I get time tomorrow night I shall put the other coat or go for the laquer layers. Then pending on how much it will cost me, may whip the tyre off an finish it properly and will get new pics of the quality of my final product.

More updates to come later in the week...

In other news with times tight & my old lex 99 plate, 110k miles, claimed against in 2 accidents, is going to need new suspension parts & geo etc doing & 100k Service, it may by some miracle make it through the mot in feb.. It really needs to go & I believe P/X is the way to go I'm afraid..

• 5 months later...

Well not updated for some time so heres a few:

So MOT time came in feb totally failed by many things, the main to get sorted where 2 new calipers of which I've still not got round to yet. Should have it sorted next month fingers crossed, been off the road 2 months it's been killer. But on the other hand it's given me time to sort the engine bay out a little again, the engine was very dirty never really been cleaned in the 10yrs I believe lol... The plastic covers I'd already sprayed red but had not done to well the first time an it started to peel, this time I took alot more time(few coats of primer, colour & laquer) an it looks alot better.

Example before (Red)

Engine1.jpg

Now (Blue)

Engine11.jpg

Disaster happend at one stage and still needs to be sorted, previously I must of screwed the screws in to hard an with the rust. When it came to taking one out it snapped the head off, so gotta have ago at drilling it out sometime this week :(

IMG00055-20090422-1707.jpg

On a lighter note I bought some new screws to replace the really rusty ones, they were M6 ones as Bazza & Stav pointed out just need to get some shorter ones as well now. As I noticed there are some short & long ones in the originals, the ones I bought were closer to the long ones..

IMG00058-20090422-1710.jpg

IMG00057-20090422-1709.jpg

I also bought some silicone hoses to fit so I've started abit & also had some wire covers in the closet for months that I'm slowly fitting also, just to bring abit of colour to the by and keep it cleaner.

IMG00021-20090404-1448.jpg

IMG00025-20090405-1805.jpg

And so I got to spray all the plastic covers etc again along with the Battery bar which needed cleaning up alot with a wire brush was just so dirty an rusty..

IMG00026-20090405-1805.jpg

IMG00028-20090405-1805.jpg

IMG00023-20090405-1804.jpg

Added the final cover all the plastic covers painted now :)

IMG00065-20090422-1733.jpg

IMG00051-20090422-1706.jpg

IMG00050-20090422-1706.jpg

Things left to do:

1) Fit Strut Cover(not opened from Group Buy yet)

2) Fit Engine Cover

IMG00063-20090422-1732.jpg

3) Pass MOT, get new calipers & fill with all new fluids.

4) Fit Mitex pads & Discs had since Summer last year at least lol…

5) Bling up the Manifold Covers I think :)

6) Save up for new car think It’s time to move on & currently have my eye on a few, but need to wait a few more months ;)

Today I was soooo bored I spent time washing my car, this is one thing I really dont enjoy as it turns out worse that it started normally as I just wash it & let it dry itself. But today I thought I'd put some real effort and took several hours, I found that my dad had like every auto glym product in one bag he never used before, so I thought i'd give it a go lol..

Car before, it's not moved for 2months but it's still very dusty, dull paint and dirty :(

IMG00070-20090426-1056.jpg

IMG00072-20090426-1057.jpg

IMG00071-20090426-1057.jpg

After shiney & like new :D

IMG00079-20090426-1610.jpg

IMG00080-20090426-1611.jpg

IMG00084-20090426-1624.jpg

Started with some Autoglym shampoo & conditoner wash stuff, followed by the Meguiars clay kit I bought many moons ago, like everyone says I was shocked at the difference it made. The paint felt brilliant and after the Autoglym polish I used & window cleaner the car looked stunning almost like new & really made me feel happy. Took many hours but it was looking good, but it really showed all the scratches and chips & there were millions sadly but its an old car and these things happen. But the weather was good & now tucked the car in the garage to keep the shine a little longer hopefully.

take it you made the engine cover yourself?

so did the screws you boght fit mate?

I got the engine cover off Jason on here when I got the induction kit from him, not sure if he made it himself.

Yes the screw fitted in an replaced the longer screws in the engine bay, these are the ones I purchased and seem fine for now. You may want to get some shorter ones though as the original screws are not all same length I found, These are what I purchased

take it you made the engine cover yourself?

so did the screws you boght fit mate?

I got the engine cover off Jason on here when I got the induction kit from him, not sure if he made it himself.

Yes the screw fitted in an replaced the longer screws in the engine bay, these are the ones I purchased and seem fine for now. You may want to get some shorter ones though as the original screws are not all same length I found, These are what I purchased

thanks mate

• 1 month later...

Well it passed the MOT today at last, not used it since Feb. Had new Calipers fitted so need to paint them & put the stickers on again, also finally fitted the Mintex front Discs & Pads. Got to clean up the car a little bit & then sort a few more things out while wait for the Tax in the post, then can get some pics up & be back on the road again yay!!!

Maybe even make it to some meets, this year...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links