Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hello everyone.just wondering if you could help me with a little advice please.In my search for a LS400 I have found this one on eBay Item number: 270172109274..just wondering about the check VSc warning light on the dashboard???,is this normal when the ignition is on?OMg cant wait to get my grubby little paws on one :unsure: any advice would be very welcoe indeed.kind regards alan.

Alan, it could be one of two things, either the Battery has been disconnected and the VSC display shown simply needs to be reset or more worringly the VSC system has a fault.

I would be a little worried about the described knocking noise when going over bumps also.

Not sure if you are aware but the wheels fitted to the car are the later LS430 17" alloys, I have these on my LS and to be honest I prefer the ride quality with them fitted, slightly firmer but much better feel.

Good luck

Alan, it could be one of two things, either the battery has been disconnected and the VSC display shown simply needs to be reset or more worringly the VSC system has a fault.

I would be a little worried about the described knocking noise when going over bumps also.

Not sure if you are aware but the wheels fitted to the car are the later LS430 17" alloys, I have these on my LS and to be honest I prefer the ride quality with them fitted, slightly firmer but much better feel.

Good luck

Thank you very much for the swift response barney, I shall stay clear of that "bargin" :P I wasnt aware of the wheels being of a later model, couldn"t stop dribbling over the car to be honest..hehe. cheers again barney.....

I'd agree that the clonking noises are likely to be far more expensive than a suspension bush. The LS has legendary ride quality so I wouldn't personally touch one with even the slightest of suspension problems. There also seems to be a noticeable dent in the rear bumper of the car and it is a bit of a concern that although the VSC light is on in the photo it is not mentioned in the write up.

LS400s seem to make a lot of money on eBay, a friend was outbid on a 1999 model with nearly 150,000 miles a while back and this car sold for £5000 which sounded a lot to me for such a high mileage car.

I'd agree that the clonking noises are likely to be far more expensive than a suspension bush. The LS has legendary ride quality so I wouldn't personally touch one with even the slightest of suspension problems. There also seems to be a noticeable dent in the rear bumper of the car and it is a bit of a concern that although the VSC light is on in the photo it is not mentioned in the write up.

LS400s seem to make a lot of money on eBay, a friend was outbid on a 1999 model with nearly 150,000 miles a while back and this car sold for £5000 which sounded a lot to me for such a high mileage car.

Thx for the input guys, I"ve found one i think, its a 1997. 2 owners full history cambelt done 10k ago, 147k miles in metalic gray, the chap says everything works, electrics ect, just had the wheels refurbed ect, the car looks wonderfull, he"s owned it for 2 years , bought a newer one so hopefully i shall be having a nice 160 mile ride home:)will keep you posted..Anyting I should look out for, I have read bits and bobs on the forums..thanks again.kind regards , alan.

Further to passmans post, the car sold on 27th Sept to Try-buy one for £3851. Registered as a private seller, so no way to check feedback. I have watched many auctions from this seller and it's amazing that when a car sells for an absolute bargain it's usually relisted in a week or twos time. What conclusions can we come to?

The car in fact is a 1998 LS400 dhp model. Lexus designers were asked to produce a sportier model as a one off for the then Chairman of Lexus GB. When dealers were shown the car they asked for it to be introduced as an upgraded model.The lower suspension, the larger 17 inch wheels (they really are 400 wheels) and a wooden gear shift were a few subtle differences. There is a post somewhere on the forum by the guy which actually designed the dhp model.

Further to passmans post, the car sold on 27th Sept to Try-buy one for £3851. Registered as a private seller, so no way to check feedback. I have watched many auctions from this seller and it's amazing that when a car sells for an absolute bargain it's usually relisted in a week or twos time. What conclusions can we come to?

The car in fact is a 1998 LS400 dhp model. Lexus designers were asked to produce a sportier model as a one off for the then Chairman of Lexus GB. When dealers were shown the car they asked for it to be introduced as an upgraded model.The lower suspension, the larger 17 inch wheels (they really are 400 wheels) and a wooden gear shift were a few subtle differences. There is a post somewhere on the forum by the guy which actually designed the dhp model.

I didn't know the differences with the dhp model and was about to ask. Thanks for the information. My mk 4 is "only" the ordinary one. Puchased end of august from ex lexus dealer, 123k full history (cam belt,fan belt and plugs all replaced 800 miles before I got it), no marks except odd stone chip and I paid £3,500 with 12 months warranty. Beginning to think I got a good deal.

Gotta be something very wrong with that car!!

Interesting information Graham, you learn something new everyday.... I was sure the wheels were 430 items!

How do you tell this dhp model, is there a way in the documentation ?? I have a 98 Mk IV with 17 inch wheels, the wooden gear shift and wheel.

I got it from a non Lexus dealer in Cuckfiled Sussex, 84 K miles for £5900, including a 12 month warranty. Was originally owned by one of the garage owners partners from new, cost about £60k new, (so they said).

Hi Chris, nothing documented on V5 to state a DHP model. The biggest difference being the lowered suspension which obviously gives a much firmer ride. The 17'' wheels designed with 7 ''holes'' as opposed to 5. With regards to price, my car was purchased on the 29th October 1999 and I am reading from the invoice

LS 400 Basic £41956.60

DHP option £2062.98

(17'' wheels

low profile tyres)

Pearlescent Paint £263.83

Total £44283.41

VAT £7749.60

TOTAL £52033.01

Wood trimmed steering wheel and gear shift knob (factory option on all models) £470 inclusive of VAT.

I suspect we're thinking along the same lines - he's using a mate to bump prices, but if he doesn't get any real takers for the car, his mate ends up winning the car cheaply. Both people then get a feedback boost, and the car is simply relisted a week or two later as it never really got sold, and hopefully this time someone interested in what is after all a fairly unusual car with a small target market will be looking to buy.

Obviously quite hard to prove, but it does seem quite likely to cynical old me...

Hi Chris, nothing documented on V5 to state a DHP model. The biggest difference being the lowered suspension which obviously gives a much firmer ride. The 17'' wheels designed with 7 ''holes'' as opposed to 5. With regards to price, my car was purchased on the 29th October 1999 and I am reading from the invoice

LS 400 Basic £41956.60

DHP option £2062.98

(17'' wheels

low profile tyres)

Pearlescent Paint £263.83

Total £44283.41

VAT £7749.60

TOTAL £52033.01

Wood trimmed steering wheel and gear shift knob (factory option on all models) £470 inclusive of VAT.

Looks Like mine is the DHP model, as I have the 7 hole 17 inch wheels, the paint finish and wooden accessories. Certainly is quite low, I often have problems with speed bumps, especialy the small ones where you would straddle them with your wheels. I tend to move to the middle of the road where i can and make sure each wheel runs over both humps. Long humps are a pain as well.

The lacquer on my allows has gone in a few places and corrosion is showing. I have seen on TV that you can strip them back with rubbing compound and relacquer them. What is the state with your allows, and do you think this is a DIY task ??

Hi Chris, you have exactly the same problems as me ( I could have written your post) I will bet next months sub prime mortgage repayment that you do indeed have a Dhp (just been watching Panorama). My alloys are an utter disgrace and really do make the car look so shabby. They were refurbished 4 years ago for £50 per wheel and after a further 2 years they need doing again. I have been scouring the internet with regards to a refurb, and the more research you do the more complicated it becomes. Have taken them to a rather up-market local wheel company and they recommend a complete stripdown and a full refurb that will take 5 days and cost £450. I know that you can buy a new set of alloys for much less, but they will not be Lexus alloys!. Our wheels retail for £347 + VAT (each) and they are that price for a reason. I think a DIY job would be a waste of time. Being a Butcher , I think I will book mine in for week commencing January 1st. 2008. Would be great to compare cars on the London to Brighton run. Are you coming?. Graham.

Hi

I have just had my wheels exchanged by Lexus, they were starting to bubble a little around the bolt holes, Lexus have exchanged them for an official refurbished set with a 12mth warantee....

Price

Spoke to a chap who stated wheels were £60 each +VAT + a little bit for fitting.... ordered alloys..... had them fitted and was presented with a bill for just under £500!!!!!

Asked for a recount and the bill came down to £340 all in fitted with VAT so £85 a wheel with 12 mth Lexus warantee.....

I have since noticed a guy on eBay from Blackpool who will do an exchange set for £215 all in for 4, no warantee but a fair bit cheeper

Had the wheels fitted then spent a day claying the car and polishing it and boy does it look new... anyway rained the next morning before I had a chance to photograph it.... Ah well

The other problem of course is now I have to be very careful when parking by the curb!!!!

Pete

Hi Pete, know how you feel after a hard day claying, cleaning and polishing. Our cars look absolutely brilliant after spending time on them for one reason only, they were brilliant cars when they left the Lexus factory. It is amazing that a car can still have a 'Showroom' finish when over 8 years old. Keep up the good work.

Graham.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links