Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Head Unit Installed

Cous3

I've been getting the bits together for a new HU install for awhile now. I'd read Wozza's thread on his custom install and decided if he could do all that work then, I should at least be able to change the OEM unit for a better one. My Lexus OEM unit was showing the ERR1 code and refusing to play any CDs no matter what I did, so it was time to change before the dreaded ERR3 decided to rear it's ugly head.

The new replacement facia was not good at all, shiny plastic with a rough texture........Again taking Wozza's advice I rubbed it down smooth with wet and dry paper, filled the gaps, lined the tray with black felt, and sprayd it Satin Black. Now it blended in much better with the rest of the dash and looked almost OEM.

I'd also like to thank Simon (GreyArea) for his help and assistance with this project......Cheers Simon!

Here's a couple of pics:

Illuminated in Amber:

285295446.jpg

Illuminated in Blue:

285295444.jpg

I did take a load of pics of the facia being prepared if anyone would like me to post them?

Keith

Great work matey, I have the felt, havent cut it out yet for the tray lining, am going to also

felt line the tray underneath the heated seat TRC switches as my remote moves about too much.

Looks even better finished than mine :blush: Job well done Keith.

If you could it would stop my sore fingers getting blistered typing relpies on how I did mine....

(I'll send u a pm about making a walkthru word doc to make it easy to email details for those who want to try this. )

At the risk of sounding Smug, (Keith I think will agree with me) the time and trouble for this mod

has been well & truly worth it, & shows clearly in the results, & the nice comments I got at JAE

about a factory finished look. I know some people say it's too much trouble, & they can't be

bothered doing this but if you have a little bit of time.........

Nice 1 Keith :D

P.S. Chrome A/C Rings look good to pal

Without a doubt this looks so much better than the standard facia...............Too much work, nah, some of you guys spend more time cleaning your cars in one go than this facia took me to get looking this way.

Now I just need someone who has this Pioneer unit and a Nokia mobile to explain how to upload the phone book..... :whistling:

Keith

Thanks again to Simon (GreyArea) who has emailed me and told me how to upload the phone book contacts from my Nokia N73. For those who may need to know this info:

To transfer your complete phone book in one go, set up HU to receive (as per the instruction manual), then go to your Nokia's address book. Use the menu to 'mark' an address, and then choose 'mark all'. Now choose 'send'- 'Bluetooth' and the whole lot will be sent to the HU.

Easy when you know how. :whistling:

Keith

At the risk of being very unpopular, I like the standard head unit, I think it looks better than any aftermarket one. Just my opinion, which is unlikely to be shared by anyone!!!

:)

But the standard Headunit is prone to breaking.

Stav

At the risk of being very unpopular, I like the standard head unit, I think it looks better than any aftermarket one. Just my opinion, which is unlikely to be shared by anyone!!!

No Mate, thats what i think to :D

Might change my mind if it ***ks up :huh:

I'm the same Keith but i've got all the gear here waiting to do it incase mine ever packs up but for now its staying in? Even though i've seen a few aftermarket set ups like Wozza'a and they look fine in the flesh and not too out of place and i do like that head unit nice job there matey :D

Oh I don't doubt for one second that the standard head unit wouldn't compete with the sound processing power of a top of the range aftermarket one, but with standard speakers in the confines of a car cabin, I think the standard one sounds pretty good. I'm not a fan of head-pumping music though - I think it's like having your ears pummeled by a hammer drill and therefore I have no need for a powerful system. I prefer wafting around in a quiet car with Classic FM on rather than having an exhaust the size of a football with music so loud you can't hear yourself think!

I know, I'm getting old, or boring, or both. :)

I agree.

But the standard Headunit is prone to breaking.

Stav

I must be lucky as mine still works and its 7 yrs old........i shouldn't of said that as im tempting fate and bound to show the dreaded "error" any time soon

There will always be 'fors' and 'against', that is what makes us human, personal choice. I was in the OEM unit camp for ages, I thought the OEM unit was quite adequate for my needs, and I guess it was.

However I was also fully aware that the OEM unit has a bad track record (no pun intended).....that it was antiquated with it's tape player 70's look........that it was bloody expensive to replace and/or repair with no guarantee it wouldn't go wrong again the minute you put it back in the dash.

The replacement unit is better than the OEM unit, of that there is no doubt, and I'm not talking about it just being louder......the sound quality at all ranges is awesome. This particular unit has Bluetooth technology making it a great hands free accessory for your mobile........ The only thing that used to put people off was the OEM Amp and speakers, well that's now sorted with the help of the Amp By-Pass lead. The other problem is/was the cheap looking facia, but again it only takes a little work to beef it up and it looks great.

Personally I only changed because I had to, my OEM unit packed up and needed replacing. I couldn't justify spending £200++++ on a repair that might not work, or £1,500+++ for a new OEM unit from Lexus........BUT now it's in I'm glad I did it because it looks, feels, and sounds alot better IMHO.

Here's another shot.........Not too shabby I think you'll agree?

285727668.jpg

Cous3

I prefer wafting around in a quiet car with Classic FM

Bring a fave classice CD with ya. Mine is set up to sound good with anything not just Dance Music

Believe it of not a bit of Holst goes down very well ( and I'm not talking the Pils variety either :winky:)

You're on. Your ICE system will rise the challenge!!! If I'm proved desperately and totally wrong, I'll have my tail between my legs and buy you a new shiny cigarette lighter to say sorry :)

There will always be 'fors' and 'against', that is what makes us human, personal choice. I was in the OEM unit camp for ages, I thought the OEM unit was quite adequate for my needs, and I guess it was.

However I was also fully aware that the OEM unit has a bad track record (no pun intended).....that it was antiquated with it's tape player 70's look........that it was bloody expensive to replace and/or repair with no guarantee it wouldn't go wrong again the minute you put it back in the dash.

The replacement unit is better than the OEM unit, of that there is no doubt, and I'm not talking about it just being louder......the sound quality at all ranges is awesome. This particular unit has Bluetooth technology making it a great hands free accessory for your mobile........ The only thing that used to put people off was the OEM Amp and speakers, well that's now sorted with the help of the Amp By-Pass lead. The other problem is/was the cheap looking facia, but again it only takes a little work to beef it up and it looks great.

Personally I only changed because I had to, my OEM unit packed up and needed replacing. I couldn't justify spending £200++++ on a repair that might not work, or £1,500+++ for a new OEM unit from Lexus........BUT now it's in I'm glad I did it because it looks, feels, and sounds alot better IMHO.

Cous3

Looks really good mate, I have had err3 for a few months and have just been delaying getting this job done! One question with your stero and the handsfree, where is the mic? do you have to run it upto near the sun visors?

Thanks

Yes the mic plugs into the back of the HU, then it's a simple case of running it up the drivers side 'A' post under the trim which you can pull away with your fingers to poke the wire behind (being careful not to cross the curtain airbag inside) and then it just sits at the top of that piece of trim........Neat and tidy........sorry for the photo quality.

285912492.jpg

Cous3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links