Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Mixing Tyres

IS300KK

At the moment, I have four standard Bridgestone Potenzas on my IS300. The two on the front are about two months old, and I am about to replace the rear two. I drove a new IS recently, and liked the Toyo Proxes on the car, so my question is: would it be detrimental to have Bridgestones on the front and Toyos on the back? (i.e. would it handle OK and would it look a bit strange?)

Cheers

Amanda

Thanks. Can stretch to two, just not four right now. Was quite impressed with the Toyos, they seemed much more 'grippy' than my Potenzas. They seem about the same price too, so I think I'll order myself a new pair of 'shoes'.

All the best

Amanda

Thanks. Can stretch to two, just not four right now. Was quite impressed with the Toyos, they seemed much more 'grippy' than my Potenzas. They seem about the same price too, so I think I'll order myself a new pair of 'shoes'.

All the best

Amanda

Hi,

I just had all my tyres replaced with the Bridgestone Potenzas, so was a little sad to discover someone didn't rate them! :huh:

That said, now I feel the need to defend my choice, lol.

They are currently a Which? Best Buy, which is why I thought I'd try them, and in my opinion they do seem quieter than the Dunlops I had on before. They were the Lexus Dunlop SP9000s, the Japanese ones with the stiffer side walls specifically for the IS200, apparently.

The guy at the tyre place said he thought those Bridgestones were the original tyre choice for the IS200 so I don't know if that's true, but it didn't really affect my decision.

For me, I want low noise, comfort, good milage, then safe wet handling, then safe dry handling.

I've only done about 40 miles with them so far, so am still running them in really, but time will tell if I prefer them I guess.

Cheers, Nev

Don't get me wrong, the Potenzas are very good in the dry, I'm just a little wary in the wet - maybe this is more of an issue with the IS300, which tends to spin its wheels eg on uphill T-junctions / on manhole covers (well, mine has a mind of its own sometimes!). I like the look of the Potenzas, and they are pretty good for road noise and comfort, so I would never regret buying them, I guess I feel like trying something new.

All the best

Amanda

Don't get me wrong, the Potenzas are very good in the dry, I'm just a little wary in the wet - maybe this is more of an issue with the IS300, which tends to spin its wheels eg on uphill T-junctions / on manhole covers (well, mine has a mind of its own sometimes!). I like the look of the Potenzas, and they are pretty good for road noise and comfort, so I would never regret buying them, I guess I feel like trying something new.

All the best

Amanda

To be frank, I would think that with all that torque, the IS300 could be quite a handful in the wet, whatever tyres you put on it, but thanks for not making the Potenzas seem so bad now :lol:

Nev

"I would think that with all that torque, the IS300 could be quite a handful in the wet, "

Twitchy in the wet, but a nightmare in frosty / icy conditions. It was -6 degrees round here last night, and I have to travel over a mountain road shortly, so if you don't hear from me again you'll know why!!!

Amanda

As the others have said, it's ok to replace 2 at a time, I've always just thought it's important to have the same tyres on each side of the car (which is what you're doing so no problems there :) )

Good choice replacing the Bridgestones, I've never understood why some were fitted with the Dunlops, which are an excellent tyre, and then some got the Bridgestones, which in my opinion were awful.

Let us know how the new tyres are when you get them on!

I've always just thought it's important to have the same tyres on each side of the car (which is what you're doing so no problems there :) )

Don't you mean each "end" of the car rather than each "side"? You should keep the same on each axle, which is front or rear.

I've always just thought it's important to have the same tyres on each side of the car (which is what you're doing so no problems there :) )

Don't you mean each "end" of the car rather than each "side"? You should keep the same on each axle, which is front or rear.

Lol yeah that's what I meant - I just have trouble speaking sometimes....... :lol:

Worth a quick reminder that Potenzas (at least the ones we have on a Maz sport) have directional treads, and cannot therefore be stuck on any wheel without checking. Won't have them again, replaced fronts with Conti Sport 2's which have been great, and were fantastic in the thick snow last night.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links