Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Series Iv - Very Sensitive Throttle

I've had the vehicle almost a week now and I'm still struggling to get used to how feather light you have to be with the throttle to give a smooth ride, especially when the vehicle is cold. In all honesty, I hate fly by wire. Give me a proper throttle with a cable any day of the week!

Does anyone know if there is any sort of adjustment or do I just have to live with it and try and temper by big size 12s?

Thanks in advance.

I've had the vehicle almost a week now and I'm still struggling to get used to how feather light you have to be with the throttle to give a smooth ride, especially when the vehicle is cold. In all honesty, I hate fly by wire. Give me a proper throttle with a cable any day of the week!

Does anyone know if there is any sort of adjustment or do I just have to live with it and try and temper by big size 12s?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Don't think its adjustable, did see a unit available on the net for an adjustable set up for fly by wire throttles, was on an american site (best stuff always is) might be worth having a google for it.....

Pete

I drove the Range Rover this morning for the first time since buying the LS. I have to say, I do prefer the "heavier" settings. Maybe it's just my big size 12 hooves just aren't built for something that requires such delicacy!

In my view, a throttle with a "proper" cable gives much more "feel" and control over unwanted kickdowns. The LS seems to kickdown by just breathing on the throttle when all I wanted to do was go just a bit faster.

Jumping from one to the other on a regular basis isn't going to be easy. The Range Rover is slow, heavy and ponderous (but not as bad as you'd think for a big old bus) and the LS is way too light and over sensitive in my opinion.

I think I'll have to see how it all goes. One thing is for sure, my original plan of selling the RR straight after buying the LS is very much on hold!!

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. I've had my Mk IV for just on a year now, and I still have to drive with a featherlight touch on the throttle at low speeds. I was slightly fortunate in that I had previously owned Mercedes with electronic throttle control, so I was somewhat used to the 'all or nothing' effect when pulling away with a cold engine. However, I do have to rather reluctantly admit that the throttle control on the Mercs was slightly better than the LS. I found that the Mercedes cruise control also seemed smoother in maintaining 30mph than the LS, with no hunting between gears or throttle surges. I can't think of anything else that's particularly worthy of mention on the post 1998 Mercedes, which is a bit of a pity as they used to make some excellent cars during the 1980's. As you may have gathered, I will never buy another Mercedes, and will stay with Lexus until they take my licence away.

I bought my car privately with 90 thousand on the clock, one owner and an absolutely perfect Lexus service history. The throttle cable (from pedal to engine compartment) was quite slack to begin with, and so I adjusted out the slack in the cable at the throttle position sensor on the main air intake. This produced a vast improvement, but did not make it perfect. The main problem I experience with my car is transiting roundabouts - on the final coast into the roundabout the gearbox seems to stay in an intermediate gear, and when the throttle is re-applied, the gearbox then decides to change down a gear, producing a mild kangaroo effect. In the pursuit of perfection, I do find this effect bl**dy annoying, but have learned to live with it, and developed a very sensitive right foot.

I suspect that the throttle position sensor and gear change sensor are somewhat tunable (electronically) in relation to one another. However, I am reluctant to ask Lexus to play around with this in case they a) make it worse, and B) present me with a massive bill. I may have a chat with the Service Manager next time the car goes in for service - I think talking is still a non-chargeable item.

All things considered, I would still prefer an old fashioned throttle connection, if only because it made me think that it was me in control, and not a computer.

In the meantime, happy motoring in your LS

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks ever so much for your reply. I joined the forum over 12 months ago and have only read glowing reports about the LS being silky smooth and whisper quiet.

The main problem I experience with my car is transiting roundabouts - on the final coast into the roundabout the gearbox seems to stay in an intermediate gear, and when the throttle is re-applied, the gearbox then decides to change down a gear, producing a mild kangaroo effect. In the pursuit of perfection, I do find this effect bl**dy annoying, but have learned to live with it, and developed a very sensitive right foot.

Your comments around approaching the roundabout are spot on and at least make me feel better for not having bought a dud!

Overall, yes the car is whisper quiet, it's well built, it's quick.........This isn't just about the throttle, but I just can't put my finger on it. I guess there's just something about the whole package that leaves me feeling a little underwhelmed.....I do hope it grows on me otherwise you can expect to see it in Autotrader in the New Year - lol

Mine sounds much the same but I promise, you do get used to it. Occasionally it still catches me out such as when you need to be a bit quick in pulling out.

The most annoying thing is that the car is so well built it's silly niggles such as this that really get noticed, I guess Lexus do say ...."the pursuit of perfection" which hints that they haven't quite arrived there yet!!

Stick with it Steve as your brain and right foot will adjust to it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links