Me again!

The auto tilt is playing up on my LS.

When I take the key out it will either:

a behave perfectly

b retract inwards but not tilt up

c tilt up but not retract inwards

When I put the key in it will either:

a behave perfectly

b not come out of it's "home" position at all.

The way to fix it seems to be having a good wiggle of the key in the igntion lock and / or taking the key in and out which points to either being worn or a bad connection.

Has anyone come across this before?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Steve, you could try something like WD40 in the ignition barrel to see if it cleans it out, might help with key/barrel contacts within the barrel itself.

Also, if you have a spare key give that a try and see if the problem still persists as it might be that your key is worn or has a slight kink in it.

Steve, you could try something like WD40 in the ignition barrel to see if it cleans it out, might help with key/barrel contacts within the barrel itself.

WD40 acts as an insulator!

Very true and it's also a water repellent.

The other problem with WD40 in a lock barrel is that whilst it may lubricate it will also get on the key, put key in pocket, key gathers fluff in pocket, reinsert key in barrel fluff enters also.

This over a period of time could cause more problems than it cures.

Not sure about later LS but on mine you do not have to insert the key fully to engage the tilt mech but it appears to operate on an induction proximity sensor.

WD40 acts as an insulator!

Very true and it's also a water repellent.

The other problem with WD40 in a lock barrel is that whilst it may lubricate it will also get on the key, put key in pocket, key gathers fluff in pocket, reinsert key in barrel fluff enters also.

This over a period of time could cause more problems than it cures.

Not sure about later LS but on mine you do not have to insert the key fully to engage the tilt mech but it appears to operate on an induction proximity sensor.

Good points, I stand corrected.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, well the auto tilt has got worse and worse. I've come to the conclusion that it's not connected with the ignition barrel as the 4-way switch was struggling to shift the wheel as well.

I was having to jiggle the key in and out of the ignition and hope it would come down / go back in etc. Nightmare!

Anyway............the stolen vehicle tracking device was fitted on Monday, the engineer needed to remove the instrument clocks to do this and it's been fine ever since.

I'm just hoping there was a loose connection somewhere and him ripping the dash and out putting it back together has solved it.

Fingers crossed!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links