Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

PARTHIBAN its a 99 on a "v" and it really ROCKS :yahoo: , i have heard (off this site) that the early radios (cd slot at the bottom) are ment to be more bass-er , but as i have not heard the newer radios (as in yours) i can`t say .

do you know whether they changed anything else about the sound system (speakers, amplifier, etc) or was it just the headunit?

could that make that much difference?

also, was the overall sound quality better on the older cars or was it just more bass?

yeah thats ok

if that is the case, is there anyway to add bass without tampering too much with the standard setup? I'm very happy with the quality of the sound, and the volume, just not enough bass. can a sub be added to the system as it is??

• 2 months later...

its actually the amp that they also changed......

i have a crossover 2001/2 model, i have the later headunit, but earlier amp, my bass is the same as the early cars, but has the later radio

its a sept 2001

how did that happen, you were a bit lucky (getting the better non-jamming headunit but still the good quality sound)

so the speakers are the same in the old and the new cars - does that mean if i get one of these old amps, i wont need to add a sub possibly? and are these old amps still available from lexus?

those frequency filters sound cool (but as i dont really have a clue about this stuff, everything does) but i dont want to tamper with the system too much for warranty reasons, or does this not involve much tampering?

Pre 01 cars (and six speaker IS200 S's) have a much nicer sounding stereo than the later IS's. Unfortunately these also are known for the annoying err3 problem where the discs jamm inside them. Can't have everthing I suppose :sad:

well, that sorts it then. Mine is a 99 and am impressed with the sound quality. It could be better but it's far better than most cars' standard stereos.

Infact, I've had a few guys asking if I have changed the stereo but as you pointed out the bloody ERR3 is really annoying. The No.6 slot is useless for most of the time. It only plays when it changes itself automatically after it's finished with no.5.

But can't complain too much though.

the older cars sound so good with lots of bass (perhaps too much for some which is why they changed it)

thats not fair, can't those people just turn the bass down? ;)

better have a word to my dealer about this and find out wot exactly has changed, and whether it can be fixed

I have the 'older' sound system and must say it is quite impressive. People have often said to me:

'How many subwoofers do you have?' but they've also said this when I had to drive a family friend's Ford Focus 2 Litre ZETEC (nice car and system).

At the moment I am looking at purchasing a new headunit to replace the factory standard.

I have a 12'' brand new Pioneer subwoofer, already enclosed and a 4 channel Audison amplfier, it's just a matter of time before I start installation.

DON'T GO STANDARD, GO ALL THE WAY SON.

yeah, sounds like a good idea, but i would like to still have the whole of what is already quite a small boot.

therefore, i'm trying to have adding a subwoofer as a last resort

are the small powered subs that dont need enclosures, any good???

Why would anybody want to mess around with a Levinson designed Hi-Fi as installed on newer models.

My mate has a TT with Bose system and he is a audiophile, nearly fell of his chair when he heard the stereo in my new 200se and jealous as hell when he found out it was by Levinson.

I have the 'older' sound system and must say it is quite impressive. People have often said to me:

'How many subwoofers do you have?' but they've also said this when I had to drive a family friend's Ford Focus 2 Litre ZETEC (nice car and system).

At the moment I am looking at purchasing a new headunit to replace the factory standard.

I have a 12'' brand new Pioneer subwoofer, already enclosed and a 4 channel Audison amplfier, it's just a matter of time before I start installation.

DON'T GO STANDARD, GO ALL THE WAY SON.

bex , i will buy your old head unit off you , only if it is all ok and works fine with no err3 , allways handy as a spare . let me know . jonrose@barber45.freeserve.co.uk

Why would anybody want to mess around with a Levinson designed Hi-Fi as installed on newer models

the one in the newer IS models is not actually a levinson developed stereo as in the LS, GS, SC, RX but instead is one that they claim to have put together using the parts they developed from those stereos

i'm not complaining in any way about the quality of the sound, i think its brilliant (hence i have no plans at all about changing headunit, amp, speakers, etc.)

however, there is definitely not enough bass in the system and i'm just trying to find a way to enhance that (especially considering that the older systems had this, which were in fact nakamichi compared to the fujitsu units in the newer cars)

I have installed an infinity basslink x which is a 10" sub with built in amp sounds good and it can be either mounted flat or upright as mine is tight against the rear seat :whistling: it helps out the already good bass available i have also just seen a mac audio sub with built in amp which is even smaller but is only mountable :question: one way albeit very samll and compact have not heard it yet though to compare

• 1 month later...

Morning all'

Can anyone tell me how to get around the Err3 thing

( DIY ) Iv'e just been hit with this problem for the first time' I need to get one of my Cds out of there urgentley' important Rave comming up.

Taz1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links