Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie With A Gs300 Vip Crankshaft/engine Problem

GS300VIP

HI All

I am a new and proud owner of a GS300 SE Nav, it is a 1998 S reg model and is Gold colour. It has all the toys I have ever wanted in a car and driving it back to Manchester from London was like riding a boat on a calm sea. Neway enough of the poetry, unfortunately I was stung by a crafty car dealer cause when I came to Manchester I found out that oil was leaking at an alarming rate and after taking it to my local tuning garage was told that it was the crankshaft. Now I was advised that rather just change the crankshaft (£350 not including parts) I should just change the whole engine, I could use a soarer 3.0 or a supra non turbo 3.0 and at least it would be a more reliable choice as the engine is already slight knocking and there is a slight milky white on the radiator cap. :crying:

Now I will not let this mishap get me from driving this pleasure car so this is why I have registered to gain some advice from you experienced lexus owners.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and once I get a chance I will post some pictures on this golden lion. It has a few tiddly bits that need fixing i.e bonnet catch from inside needs a plier to open but I will survive that and my main concern is to sort the engine out :crybaby:

Well that is it for now, I will sit here quietly and wait for some ideas to be thrown (gently pls) at me. :tomato:

GS300 VIP

HI All

I am a new and proud owner of a GS300 SE Nav, it is a 1998 S reg model and is Gold colour. It has all the toys I have ever wanted in a car and driving it back to Manchester from London was like riding a boat on a calm sea. Neway enough of the poetry, unfortunately I was stung by a crafty car dealer cause when I came to Manchester I found out that oil was leaking at an alarming rate and after taking it to my local tuning garage was told that it was the crankshaft. Now I was advised that rather just change the crankshaft (£350 not including parts) I should just change the whole engine, I could use a soarer 3.0 or a supra non turbo 3.0 and at least it would be a more reliable choice as the engine is already slight knocking and there is a slight milky white on the radiator cap. :crying:

Now I will not let this mishap get me from driving this pleasure car so this is why I have registered to gain some advice from you experienced lexus owners.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and once I get a chance I will post some pictures on this golden lion. It has a few tiddly bits that need fixing i.e bonnet catch from inside needs a plier to open but I will survive that and my main concern is to sort the engine out :crybaby:

Well that is it for now, I will sit here quietly and wait for some ideas to be thrown (gently pls) at me. :tomato:

GS300 VIP

probably just a crankshaft seal, fairly common toyota problem, how would a crankshaft leak oil ??

check the oil cap for milky white substances, may just be where its been sitting and condensation has formed, try cleaning it up and see if it returns

get the seal changed

get the oil changed

give the coolant a hose through and some new coolant

might just be a cheaper option of swapping the engine :)

Notify the crafty dealer before you repair/replace anything. Unless you bought it as a scrapper you have rights to buy a car that is of merchantable quality which yours doesn't seem to be. try and get him to fix it or pay for repairs.

HI All

GS300 VIP

probably just a crankshaft seal, fairly common toyota problem, how would a crankshaft leak oil ??

check the oil cap for milky white substances, may just be where its been sitting and condensation has formed, try cleaning it up and see if it returns

get the seal changed

get the oil changed

give the coolant a hose through and some new coolant

might just be a cheaper option of swapping the engine :)

Hi Bazza

Thanks for the prompt response, my bad :blush: should have said crankshaft seal, it was not milky white under the oil radiator cap after driving from London and then parked it for a day or two and then drove it to the garage and then it was milky white. Any idea how much to fix the seal and is it a big job? As for swapping the engine, what roughly is the setback for a job like this?

You see, labour wise, I have been quoted roughly 150-250 quid for labour but purchase of the engine is a something I have not come across. I have been checking eBay for engines but none so far, any other places?

Thanks

Notify the crafty dealer before you repair/replace anything. Unless you bought it as a scrapper you have rights to buy a car that is of merchantable quality which yours doesn't seem to be. try and get him to fix it or pay for repairs.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately he is not a forecourt dealer or registered trader, just some guy selling from home but registered as trader under autotrader so no recourse there. But I would still be happy if I could get the car fixed for just under £500 as then the car would only cost me £3500 including the fixup. Still way lower than other GS300 I was searching for on autotrader.

GS300 VIP

Hi Dave

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately he is not a forecourt dealer or registered trader, just some guy selling from home but registered as trader under autotrader so no recourse there. But I would still be happy if I could get the car fixed for just under £500 as then the car would only cost me £3500 including the fixup. Still way lower than other GS300 I was searching for on autotrader.

GS300 VIP

You have similar rights even had it been a private sale.I would think that the ad described it as good runner etc. and obviously it is faulty.If you got a report from your garage and a copy of the ad. ask seller to pay for repairs. If not you can sue through small claims court or fast track in county court, do this through your trading standards office. Of course, I realise that a lot of people don't bother for this type of thing but it is still your right if you wish to use it. Hope you get your Lex fixed and enjoy it.

Regards Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the solid piece of advice, I think what goes around comes around and I hope he gets what's coming to him.

Bit of good news, I found an engine (supra 3.0) it fits 1997 to 2001 and is the vvti version. Got of eBay including delivery only £225 coming tommorow to my local garage. I cannot wait to get my hands dirty and get that engine in so I can drive around in that baby. B)

Next thing I got to do is sell my Merc C180, it has served me well and with the tv/dvd setup I got in that it has been a sort of vip ride. However I cannot wait to start pimping up this Gs300 and really live up to my name as a GS300 VIP.

So hopefully within a week or two it will be on this forum with the pictures and a good wash. (fingers crossed)

Anything I should look out for when changing the engine and the crankshaft seal?

so....you ask advice, which is freely given......then choose to go with your original thought and just change theengine, when all that needs doing is changing a seal?

what you doing with your old engine

HI Mat

Basically I do appreciate the freely given advice and I have heeded it, see Bazza earlier post about it being cheaper to change the engine. Plus once I saw the dreaded milky white substance underneath the oil cap I decided to get another engine, give it a good service before putting it in and changing the crankshaft seal and any other adjustments so that when I do eventually start I know that I have a mint engine (*** willing).

Not to sure what I am going to do with the old engine, depends on the condition, from the initial glance it seems the head (or was it the bottom end) on my engine was fine. But will find out in the next couple of days/weeks.

What car do you drive and have you had any engine transplant experience?

Regards

i have a little transplant experience.........

i just think the costs and hassel of the swap may, be greater than the original problem.

the seal would still need the gearbox removing, and the milky residue could be because the engine has been stood for a while, and like bazza said moisture has formed in the rocker covers.

who is to say the engine you have bought is in better condition than the one you have running and fitted as original to the car.

in my opinion i would have done an oil and coolant change...and ensured that the engine was fine, then done the seal

hopefully your as cunning as a fox, and the decission was a wise one ....... :winky:

i have a little transplant experience.........

i just think the costs and hassel of the swap may, be greater than the original problem.

the seal would still need the gearbox removing, and the milky residue could be because the engine has been stood for a while, and like bazza said moisture has formed in the rocker covers.

who is to say the engine you have bought is in better condition than the one you have running and fitted as original to the car.

in my opinion i would have done an oil and coolant change...and ensured that the engine was fine, then done the seal

hopefully your as cunning as a fox, and the decission was a wise one ....... :winky:

HI Mat

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind before I start on it because if that is the case then I could save some money by just changing the crankshaft seal and then sell the engine I bought. Will keep you posted.

Oh yeah :whistling: just realised that you are an experienced lexus guy, drift champion is no laughing matter :)

Anyway thanks for the shout out.

GS300 VIP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Quick update on my situation, I bought a supra vvti engine off eBay and got it fitted, works like a charm so I am happy there, unfortunately when the garage was fitting it they had forgotten that the engine was a manual and forgot to take the bearing out and so when they started it it kicked the gear lever selector and broke it. They have now taken out the bearing and put the engine in properly however I am still without a gear lever stick and have been looking out for one in eBay for anyone breaking a GS300. I have called Lexus dealers and they have a part not to sure if it is the one but that is £75 and takes 4 days to deliver as it comes from Belgium.

Therefore I was posting this incase anyone knows where I can buy Lexus parts for reasonable prices and I am looking for the part which is the gear stick lever (top side) and connects to the gear linkage (bottom side).

Any advice?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links