Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having read a lot on this forum about tyres for the LS430 I am almost nervous to be venturing into this territory...

However I have been putting off buying tyres for 6 months now, and I must get them soon. I have zero traction left...

Is it worth going to the trouble and expense of getting the Japan Dunlop Sport 270's?

Dunlop have a newer pattern out - the 2020 - that I haven't heard anything about...

My local 'Fast-Fit' guy thinks I'm crazy, but will special order the Japan Dunlops for me. Works out at €250 a tyre including an alloy reconditioning. Going to get all 5 done.

All advice and comments welcome and needed...

I notice that you quote in euros....so, yes, seems fine if you're getting wheels refurbed too. Tyres cost about £120 each here I thhink, plus £50 per, for refurb. (THat's pounds!)

Sounds like about the same deal then... So I am not coming out too badly.

Would you say they're worht it?

I notice that you quote in euros....so, yes, seems fine if you're getting wheels refurbed too. Tyres cost about £120 each here I thhink, plus £50 per, for refurb. (THat's pounds!)

Sounds like about the same deal then... So I am not coming out too badly.

Would you say they're worht it?

Well, can't comment on alternatives, as have only ever had Dunlops. But I DID read a lot of stuff on here about this, before deciding and they feel fine to me!

I have Dunlop's on my LS430 at the moment and all I can say is they are absolutly rubbish. They are the noiseist tyre I have experienced. I can't wait to get Michelin tyres on it. That's the way I would go.

Well I'll add my 2p worth....

As I said before on previous tyre posts, I got rid of two nearly new tyres that had been fitted to mine before I bought it, they were Maxxis and were so noisy it sounded like a tank on tracks.

The Dunlop 270's (Oh and buy the way they all come from Japan as unlike the earlier D8's they didn't make them in any other factory) are whisper quiet.

Jsj24uk - what model of Dunlop’s do you have? are they the sport 270's that were original fitment or some other Dunlop....

What I will say is that because the car is sooooooo quiet in the first place, the only noise you can hear is tyre noise, and on our deliberately noisy roads this is even worse, If I sit on most roads round here at most speeds the only noise is from the tyres, but believe me the noise from the cheaper tyres was 20 times worse, so maybe perspective comes into the equation

The Dunlop’s are much softer than the other tyres so the ride is even better and the few times I've pushed it they do seem to have good grip.....

When I was looking for quiet tyres it turns out that the tread pattern has a lot to do with the amount of noise given off by the tyre, the 'sporty' treads that run around the tyre like a racing tyre are the noisy ones, the quiet ones have smaller tread blocks, with smaller slots between them, if you do a Google images on the sport 270 and then the new sport 2020 it would appear that the new tyre has larger blocks with bigger slots between them so you would think they will be a little louder...

Anyway this discussion will never end its very subjective, if it’s all we have to worry about we should be grateful, have a look at the Merc s class forums and you will see what I mean.... :winky:

Good luck with the choice

Pete

I have Dunlop's on my LS430 at the moment and all I can say is they are absolutly rubbish. They are the noiseist tyre I have experienced. I can't wait to get Michelin tyres on it. That's the way I would go.

Like Haylands, I'd love to know what Dunlops you have on? Also why do you have such a strong preference for Muchelin?

Haylans thanks for the response, will order my 270's tomorrow and bite the bullet and get the right tyres...

It seems to make the most sense...

I can't remember what Dunlops I have on it at the moment. I shall pop down in a bit and have a look. The reason why I like the Michelin Piolot Sport tyres is because when I had my 2001 GS300 it was on the original Bridgestone Potenza's. Due to the age of the tyres I had them replaced with Michelin Piolot Sports and I couldn't believe the difference. It was as if the car was riding on a bubble of air as there was virtually no road noise. That is why I can't wait till these Dunlops wear out.

I can't remember what Dunlops I have on it at the moment. I shall pop down in a bit and have a look. The reason why I like the Michelin Piolot Sport tyres is because when I had my 2001 GS300 it was on the original Bridgestone Potenza's. Due to the age of the tyres I had them replaced with Michelin Piolot Sports and I couldn't believe the difference. It was as if the car was riding on a bubble of air as there was virtually no road noise. That is why I can't wait till these Dunlops wear out.

If you do a google image search on Michelin Pilot sport you get a great variation in tyre types from the all out racing tyre to one that looks very similar to the Dunlop sport 270.

Bridgestone tyres, in my opinion, are always noisy because they use a hard compound, these will have got even harder with age, Michelin tyres, being French, will be soft and supple, just like French cars so the difference between them will be enormous, the LS430 is much quieter than a GS300 and I think you will be disappointed when you finally change your tyres, the ONLY noise in the LS430 is the tyres and like I say on our poor roads (the government deliberately use a poor noisy surface so you think you are going faster than you are) the noise is sometimes quiet intrusive....

Had a blat through France to Northern Spain not long ago and on the excellent smooth French roads there was no noise at all, even at the cars maximum!!! (also found out it’s not restricted to 155mph either, but that’s another story)

So jsj24uk good luck and be careful which Michelin Pilots you get

Hunt Trophy, I'm sure you will like the Dunlops

Pete

Will be getting them next week. They're expected to be in the Fast-Fit on Monday.

They are €170.00 each then add on €50.00 per wheel for a reconidition, sandblast and polish. Wheels will look like new again.

VERY excited.

Thanks to all for comments and advice. Pete - U DA MAN!!!

I also followed Pete's advice and it was a good move - thanks, Pete!

I had two older and mixed tyres on the rear when I bought it and replaced those with 270s (didn't bother about the Japan/Germany thing). Immediate improvement in noise, maybe handling too.

Paid about £105 each fitted and balanced for the 270s.

I initially left the front tyres because they were almost new but didn't like that they were Kumho's. Have just replaced those too for 270s. Immediate improvement in ride comfort. Slight disappointment that I didn't notice a noise improvement, in fact they might even be slightly louder/coarser. But it's hard to compare really isn't it, and as Pete says our roads are so crap and therefore noisy anyway my hopes are probably impossible to realise.

I agree, wish our motorways were like the French.

Chris

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links