Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will Different Spark Plugs Cause Engine Warning Light To Appear?

skeggs

Hi folks.

I had my car serviced by a local (non lexus) garage yesterday and today.

When i got my car back i noticed the engine warning light was on.

is it possible that if only 5 of the 6 spark plugs where replaced (and quite possibly with a different type from the one that was not replaced) would cause the warning light to come on.

any help appreciated.

thx

is 200's do have spark plugs!!! and coils!! sorry mate not sure about the spark plug thing. little trick i learnt from off here is to disconnect battery for half hour or so. this will clear any error codes in ecu and put the engine light out if there are no faults. hope this helps.

thx for the quick response.

if i reset the ecu i know i will lose any fault codes. however if the fault still persists will it store new codes (probably a stupid question).

is 200's do have spark plugs!!! and coils!! sorry mate not sure about the spark plug thing. little trick i learnt from off here is to disconnect battery for half hour or so. this will clear any error codes in ecu and put the engine light out if there are no faults. hope this helps.

thx for the quick response.

if i reset the ecu i know i will lose any fault codes. however if the fault still persists will it store new codes (probably a stupid question).

yep sure will. any fault that was there before and not fixed will still show.

I'd take it back to them ;) Why do you think they only replaced 5 plugs and not 6? Did they do anything other than service? Could be lambda sensor.

when i went to collect the car, the technician (ha thats a joke) told me that they had made a mistake when ordering the plugs. he said they had ordered 4 instead of 5.

i said , 'dont you mean 6'.

he said 'no, theres only 5 plugs, its a 5 cylinder car'.

bollocks i thought. but did not query it further.

when i got home i phoned lexus and asked if there where any 5 cylinder variations for the is200. Ok course there arnt.

just to be sure, i removed the air filter cover and hey presto, 6 spark plugs and coils. clear as day.

i'm going straight back to the garage tomorrow morning.

how the hell can they mistake a 6 cylinder engine for a 5 cylinder engine. bunch of chancers

Geeezzzz....that man calls himself a technition! no mate its a 2 stroke engine. :lol:

6 spark plugs

6 coil packs.....instead of HT leads..

thinks its a 5 cylinder.. :lol:

Bet he thinks it has square wheels aswell.! :P

the is200 has square wheels !?

damn, hadn't thought about that. maybe that explains why i always get such a bumpy ride :duh:

I'd take it back to them ;) Why do you think they only replaced 5 plugs and not 6? Did they do anything other than service? Could be lambda sensor.

when i went to collect the car, the technician (ha thats a joke) told me that they had made a mistake when ordering the plugs. he said they had ordered 4 instead of 5.

i said , 'dont you mean 6'.

he said 'no, theres only 5 plugs, its a 5 cylinder car'.

bollocks i thought. but did not query it further.

when i got home i phoned lexus and asked if there where any 5 cylinder variations for the is200. Ok course there arnt.

just to be sure, i removed the air filter cover and hey presto, 6 spark plugs and coils. clear as day.

i'm going straight back to the garage tomorrow morning.

how the hell can they mistake a 6 cylinder engine for a 5 cylinder engine. bunch of chancers

If thay think it only has 5 cylinders, then what else do thay think ? has the service been done at all ? dont think thay could even find the oil filter. words like cowboy and horse spring to mind :D

Cough!

OSrry for my miss information!

sleep deprivation

:tomato: what did you think ignited the petrol in this dream then? to be fair tho i never knew the spark plugs were under the airbox till the other day.

For some bazzar reason i though coil plugs did it :shifty:

Cough!

OSrry for my miss information!

sleep deprivation

:tomato: what did you think ignited the petrol in this dream then? to be fair tho i never knew the spark plugs were under the airbox till the other day.

For some bazzar reason i though coil plugs did it :shifty:

glow plugs?

Does a 5 cylinder engine actually exist??????

What a stupid garage though! I would have my car checked by a proper garage going of what that garage have said.

the best bit was. he even said it was a V5.

i have also found out that they did not change the air con filter or the rear diff oil.

fortunately when i paid him (in cash) i ( and he) miscounted by £150 punds.

needles to say he aint geting it back.

although he did offer to to the work "for free". can you believe the fecking cheek.

i laughed, left him my address, and told him to sue me if he wanted to.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links