Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying An Is 200 Tomorrow , Worried To Hell Tho ?

PCIronmike

Hi guys n gals , I,m buying an IS 200 tomorrow , I,m trading my 05 Megane 1.6vvt as it would,nt pull your socks off , had it since May 07 and its been good , fact is it just does,nt quite do it for me . The Lexus I,m opting for is the Sport Navigator 2001 model , it has a private plate too and to be quite honest although I,m excited to the point where my bums chewing my boxers I,m also a tad worried stepping back in years , I know the cars are different animals but I promised myself I,d research my next car thoroughly before purchasing ( being left let down with the Megane) and so far all the people I,ve asked are saying its a good move . I must admit I have been a fan of the IS 200 since I first laid eyes on one , I also had a passenger ride in an Altezza and it was terrific . So anyway I suppose what I,m after is , please reassure me I,m doing the right thing ?????

Thanks all .

Paul.

Welcome,

I'm sure you're doing the right thing.

I was looking for an IS200, but saw my 1Jan2003 IS300 Sport Navigator in Black near me when looking. Fantastic car. Love it to bits. A divorce present (along with bike).

I, too, have private plate. This is very personal to me, as my 3 boys have, in order, initials JLG, so with J14NLG I get me amongst my boys (alternatively, our 4 initials, 4 for 4 of us and N for "No f...ing wife". Hope yours means something to you.

I, too, had a Megane (earlier version though). In 6 months after warranty expiry it stranded us 4 times (coil, water pump, gearbox, catalytic convertor), window fell down, sunroof stuck open (failed motor) costing me £,000s including new gearbox & exhaust system. first Renault I had was the same.

God luck & enjoy.

Ian D

Hi guys n gals , I,m buying an IS 200 tomorrow , I,m trading my 05 Megane 1.6vvt as it would,nt pull your socks off , had it since May 07 and its been good , fact is it just does,nt quite do it for me . The Lexus I,m opting for is the Sport Navigator 2001 model , it has a private plate too and to be quite honest although I,m excited to the point where my bums chewing my boxers I,m also a tad worried stepping back in years , I know the cars are different animals but I promised myself I,d research my next car thoroughly before purchasing ( being left let down with the Megane) and so far all the people I,ve asked are saying its a good move . I must admit I have been a fan of the IS 200 since I first laid eyes on one , I also had a passenger ride in an Altezza and it was terrific . So anyway I suppose what I,m after is , please reassure me I,m doing the right thing ?????

Thanks all .

Paul.

it all depends on the cost and mileage and its history !

personally i think you should be buying mine :P

If uv got a private plate who`s 2 know how old the car is ;)

Deffo the rite move u will love it :wub:

BTW Hello & Welcome :D

Hi again , HPI,d car and all is good its a 2001 on a y plate , no damage reported and all the numbers match up , private plate is L2 YAJ its black met and its beautiful 61k miles ans a full Lexus service history , jobs a good un ( I hope)

reg,d on 22-Jun -2001

Hi again , HPI,d car and all is good its a 2001 on a y plate , no damage reported and all the numbers match up , private plate is L2 YAJ its black met and its beautiful 61k miles ans a full Lexus service history , jobs a good un ( I hope)

reg,d on 22-Jun -2001

U sound like your feelin better now :winky:

Bet u wont sleep 2nite :hehe:

Ull av 2 get some pics up 2morow :) nice plate 2

reg,d on 22-Jun -2001

U sound like your feelin better now :winky:

Bet u wont sleep 2nite :hehe:

Ull av 2 get some pics up 2morow :) nice plate 2

Yeah , must admit feel 100% better for the HPI check , can,t wait now . I know its not the altezza I went in , that was an RS , it was bright yellow on 18" Kahn RSR,s it was sweet , just want the quality and slow the depreciation stuff a bit .

I,ll get some pics and get em on here but let me have a play for a couple of days eh!

Thanks Fellas for all the advice and tomorrow I,ll be a fully fledged member .

Regards

Paul.

Thanks all .

Paul.

it all depends on the cost and mileage and its history !

personally i think you should be buying mine :P

At the right price I would of but I,m sorry to say that if its the red one in the pic I,d have to say no , I just dont do red cars dunno why , Ferarri maybe but hey I aint got Ferarri money , I,m sure yours is a peach and you should keep it .

Your motor is superb will be well pleased if I get mine to that standard.

Regards

Paul.

Mine realy :question: Thank You :blush:

Did u get yours ok :question:

There is no going back. After a few weeks with your IS200, you will wonder why it took you so long to try one. You are buying the most reliable car probably ever brought to Europe from Japan. Next, the IS200 looks brand new when clean/waxed. Next, it has a great engine (powerful, quiet, but a great roar when you give it the welly - something they did not do as well with the IS250). Great sound system, aircon, and other toys. Its also very refined, everything works and great to drive. Its also a great looking car. A little thirsty when pushed or if in city all of the time. You can drive the IS200 all day and get out of it without feeling crippled. I drove mine from Ireland to Bosnia a few times (through UK and then from tunnell) - once I drove from there to London , stopping only for petrol/coffee, in 20 hours. I would not even try that in the IS250. The IS loves the road, will not break down, can canter along the autobahn at 100-110mph happily without feeling strained (can do more) and the driver seat is perfect. This is one purchase you will not regret (and I do not work for or have any connection with lexus....). Just do not rush to replace it with the new one - as nice as it is, it lacks the seat comfort, growl and feeling of invincibility of the 200. Good luck with it and enjoy the drive. By the way, look at the work others have done here on the IS200 (modifications, tuning, bodywork - unbelievable!)

Regards

Paul.

Yeah its sweet , needs a few tyres , few scuffs here n there and on the way home sorta like a largw stone hit the bonnet and dented it and grazed the windscreen , oh and I cant seem to get the cd to work , radios fine but no cd ??? thanks for asking

Regards

Paul.

There is no going back. After a few weeks with your IS200, you will wonder why it took you so long to try one. You are buying the most reliable car probably ever brought to Europe from Japan. Next, the IS200 looks brand new when clean/waxed. Next, it has a great engine (powerful, quiet, but a great roar when you give it the welly - something they did not do as well with the IS250). Great sound system, aircon, and other toys. Its also very refined, everything works and great to drive. Its also a great looking car. A little thirsty when pushed or if in city all of the time. You can drive the IS200 all day and get out of it without feeling crippled. I drove mine from Ireland to Bosnia a few times (through UK and then from tunnell) - once I drove from there to London , stopping only for petrol/coffee, in 20 hours. I would not even try that in the IS250. The IS loves the road, will not break down, can canter along the autobahn at 100-110mph happily without feeling strained (can do more) and the driver seat is perfect. This is one purchase you will not regret (and I do not work for or have any connection with lexus....). Just do not rush to replace it with the new one - as nice as it is, it lacks the seat comfort, growl and feeling of invincibility of the 200. Good luck with it and enjoy the drive. By the way, look at the work others have done here on the IS200 (modifications, tuning, bodywork - unbelievable!)

Thanks for the advice , I did buy the car and its great , a few minor blemishes but I have a good friend who is a body shop manager and he,s gonna sort it for me Next week , needs 3 tyres , again with contacts have already purchased Avons ,£147.68 for all 3 which I thought was excellent , 30 quid extra on the insurance and the fella put 6mths rent on it , sweet , rims are a bit scuffed but not too bad live-able , I,ll refurb or replace later , thinking of a service and a cambelt tho , what do you think ?

Regards

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

Yeah its sweet , needs a few tyres , few scuffs here n there and on the way home sorta like a largw stone hit the bonnet and dented it and grazed the windscreen , oh and I cant seem to get the cd to work , radios fine but no cd ??? thanks for asking

Regards

Paul.

What a bummer with the stone :o But happy your happy with it :D

Where did u buy it from (private or garage) couldnt u av got tyres out of them :question:

CD prone 4 brakein but chek u r loading it correct mine goes red on the sides when u press load w8 till it goes green then load ur cd in ;)

I'd recommend a cambelt change if it's not been done and if it needs a service get it done.

Why did you buy 3 tyres? I was always led to believe that you should always change opposite sides at the same time.

I haven,t had them fitted yet , the front two are ok but one looks a bit tatty , O/S/R is on 1-2mm and the N/S/R is a new Goodyear , so I,m thinking , change front two ( keep one for spare ) change O/S/R and there ya go 4 new boots . Gonna get a service and a cambelt , could do it myself but I,ve been out of the trade for years ( used to be workshop manager for a Ford dealership ) although most of my tools have been borrowed and never returned , plus I have no diagnostic eqpt to work with

so I,ll punt it out . What sort of cost am I looking at ???

Thanks & Regards

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

Where did u buy it from (private or garage) couldnt u av got tyres out of them :question:

CD prone 4 brakein but chek u r loading it correct mine goes red on the sides when u press load w8 till it goes green then load ur cd in ;)

It was a trader , but I knew I could get tyres as cheap as he could so I decided to go for money off , I know so many peeps in the trade as I used to be init for years , I was service manager at a ford dealership for two years and was a mechanic , then foreman blah blah you know the one , started as a diesel fitter years ago and sort of jumped about a bit I now work for a supermarket as a duty manager and they pay me £35k p/a and I,ve done that for 2yrs now .

Back to the CD , when I press the load button nothing happens , if you hold it for a few seconds it beeps but no lights on the slot and it wont eat a CD , bit ****** about it , dont want to go aftermarket wanna keep it OE .

Appreciate all your response and all the other help I,ve had , this club is superb . A1 +++++

Thanks and Regards Everyone

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

It was a trader , but I knew I could get tyres as cheap as he could so I decided to go for money off , I know so many peeps in the trade as I used to be init for years , I was service manager at a ford dealership for two years and was a mechanic , then foreman blah blah you know the one , started as a diesel fitter years ago and sort of jumped about a bit I now work for a supermarket as a duty manager and they pay me £35k p/a and I,ve done that for 2yrs now .

Back to the CD , when I press the load button nothing happens , if you hold it for a few seconds it beeps but no lights on the slot and it wont eat a CD , bit ****** about it , dont want to go aftermarket wanna keep it OE .

Appreciate all your response and all the other help I,ve had , this club is superb . A1 +++++

Paul.

I had the CD prob with my 1st Lex & i had 2 kick off with the place i bought it big time 2 get it sorted had 2 go aftermarket but was a Sony so didnt mind but took a bit of gettin used 2 :winky:

Regards

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

Paul.

I had the CD prob with my 1st Lex & i had 2 kick off with the place i bought it big time 2 get it sorted had 2 go aftermarket but was a Sony so didnt mind but took a bit of gettin used 2 :winky:

Seen a mod where someone has put a screen in place of the stereo unit , looks great , may go along the lines of that , all lies with money , wanna get the service an cambelt dun first .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links