Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving from Gordano services on M5 yesterday back to Coventry and after a perfect run down with cruise set at 70ish it played up. Cruise control working perfect until o/s indicator used prior to changing lane when car felt as if it was braking and cruise cut off although light stayed on and volume on radio reduced momentarily. This occurred a few times intermittently and then on one occasion the orange ABS light came on for about 2 seconds but again this was as my o/s indicator was on.I am totally baffled. The positive Battery lead is slightly loose on the Battery as it is awkward to tighten with a silly screwsystem---could this be relevant?Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards Dave.

Dave, I can't stress this enough - you must tighten as much as you can.

There is a danger here. There are really high currents both from the alternator and the Battery itself. As well as damage to the electronics, there's the fire risk. Bad connections cause all sorts of problems.

I don't mean to sound condescending or anything but you really can't drive round with it loose.

Tighten it up mate - whatever it takes.

I agree with Geoffers about the loose connection. It isn't gonna help the car even if it isn't related to the issue at hand.

As far as the other problem goes, if it is always happening with the OS indicator going, I would start by checking all the earth points around that area.

I agree with Geoffers about the loose connection. It isn't gonna help the car even if it isn't related to the issue at hand.

As far as the other problem goes, if it is always happening with the OS indicator going, I would start by checking all the earth points around that area.

I tighten the connection regularly but it seems to loosen off more quickly all the time. Only noticed it when car refused to start or light any ignition lights etc on coming out of work one night. Touched the blead and car started straight away.Is a screw in the connector normal? The problem happened several times yesterday but has never happened before.Driving OK again now but not been out of town to use cruise.Return journey is on Sunday-Coventry to Taunton and straight back so I'm a bit concerned.It seemed almost as if batterey died momentarily each time.

I've not known a screw - usually it is a small nut/bolt so you can get the torque on to tighten. (as simple as it seems on just a battery). Maybe its had some work on it?

Can you swap the screw for a nut/ bolt? I'm just trying to picture it with a screw.

Looked strange to me too.It has the normal ring type thing with nut and bolt but has a screw that goes into the bit that closes up when you tighten the nut.Saw similar on Audi 100 once.Maybe cut it off and put new ring type thingy on ? Open to your ideas and thanks for the extremely fast advice so far

Save your pic on your PC, make it smaller so it saves disk space and bandwidth. It will tell you the max upload size just below.

When you post, in the bottom right you will see a browse button. Browse to your pic and click upload. Then click on the management drop down just above it select and click on the green thing - this will put the image into the post.

Save your pic on your PC, make it smaller so it saves disk space and bandwidth. It will tell you the max upload size just below.

When you post, in the bottom right you will see a browse button. Browse to your pic and click upload. Then click on the management drop down just above it select and click on the green thing - this will put the image into the post.

Cant get them on. saved on pc but thats it. I'll have to get daughter to do it when she comes round :

Here is your pic Dave.

post-19263-1202504199.jpg

Not quite sure what the need for the screw is. I would try removing the screw, undo the two nuts either side of the red wire and try tightening them all back up.

Cheers Rick I'll try tomorrow. Thanks to you and Geoffers for your suggestions. Is it possible for this to cause the problem I had do you think.

I would say it is possible if you think you get complete power failure. Although the OS indicator bit would tend to throw it of that scent unless it was merely coincidence.

Where does the red wire go to that is tagged onto the terminal? I don't have that on mine.

Not sure. Has a connector further down but appears to do nothing. I'll look closer am. car is on roadway with poor lighting. good flash on camera

My guess is the terminal ring isn't closing tight enough and the screw is there to to fill the gap/make it tighter by it having to close into the screw too. Possibly the screw is even screwed into part of the terminal itself. I've seen it done so many times. People should be shot who do this. Twice. It may only be screwed into the ring clasp and its light friction holding the ring on!

You should really take it off and have a look, preferably the whole fitting.

There is also a lot of oxidation there too Dave, so when you have it off, clean up with a bit of wire wool on the terminal and contact ring and smear with petroleum jelly or contact grease. You might as well do the other side while you're at it too.

Don't forget though - you will lose any settings. (radio, ECU, etc.). The ECU will re-learn. You will have to re-program your radio stations. Not sure which radio models are coded so best check on that one in your manual and you have the code if so.

As for the original problem, putting the indicators on would only draw a few more amps and I wouldn't have thought that would have caused the Battery connection to become overloaded, but you never know. Especially with the corrosion and slightly loose. The slight arcing wouldn't have been helping anything.

It could have been coincidence or bad timing but if it continues, see if you can find any consistency to when it happens. If it is the O/S indicator then check there's no shorting going on. It may be enough to arc a bit but not necessarily blow the fuse.

Either way, you have prevented a potential disaster here even if it isn't related to your original problem so there's some good come out of it!

Keep us informed.

As a temporary fix I gave the pos. terminal a quick clean and tightened up the screw. Coventry - Gordano - Coventry no problems with cruise but I didnt use it all of the time. I will look at changing the fitment to get a tighter fit though.

As regards the red wire coming from the Battery, it goes round the engine bay and through the bulkhead in the hole for the acc. cable( I think thats what it is ) but cannot see where it goes in car, unless its where a phone was connected.

Thanks for your help. I will investigate further and let you know if I discover anything further.

Kind Regards Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links