Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 300 Fuel Economy

gitaman

Hey folks.

I'm a new member looking at buying an Altezza Gita (ex Japan) which is more or less the same spec as the Lexus Sportscross. I can get either an AS 200 or AS 300 and right now I'm starting to favour the 300 since I seem to be able to get a better deal on one, and I like the look of the 5 speed box as opposed to the 4 spd. I've trawled the old threads looking for some figures on fuel economy and all I've found are some vague comments along the lines of you don't drive them as hard so the difference isn't much. Has anyone got any figures to throw at me? I've checked the spec sheet, but I'm guessing these figures are manufactuer supplied, so I am dubious.

Help? Please?

Blair.

Hi Gitaman, hope all is OK in NZ, and you let our cricketers win!!

I had an IS200 manual and now have an IS300 auto, both GB cars well sorted and not thrashed, I only get a difference of about 4/5mpg between the two...but your driving style will have the biggest effect...with the 300(3 litre) it is tempting and easy to use some welly, in which case the mpg drops quite a bit (but the fun factor increases) whereas on the 200 (2 litre) you need to drive the car with more purpose and intent to get into the 'good performance' band which lies well up the rev range...therefore it is easier to drive more economically without such great temptation.

Others may of course disagree !!

Had my IS300 since October, averages around 22 - 23mpg on my daily commute of 7 miles (mainly urban) to and from work with a few local journeys at the weekend.

On a couple of couple of recent trips of 140 miles, average went up to 29mpg cruising between 65 & 80mph.

Overall more or less what I expected, might try to get a little more mpg at my next (40k )service by specifying full synthetic oil and getting the air filter replaced as doing this on my previous car (2.0 Nissan Primera) seemed to improve things by a couple of mpg.

I too was a little worried by the increased fuel bills, but at the end of the day you are sitting in and using a wonderful car which is an absolute pleasure to drive; if I am going somewhere in heavy traffic with difficult parking I just use the wife's Micra!!

Had my IS300 for about 2 months now and done nearly 4000 miles. I've been keeping a log so far. The drive to work (11 miles on A-roads not dual carriage ways) and around town during the week then I get 23-26 mpg depending on if I give it the full beans all the time!! Never had it below 20 though. On a long run it's very easy to get 34-35 mpg if you use the cruise control set at 75 mph. All in all I'm really happy, even if it's a bit more than I was paying before. It's well worth it though, and I still smile every time I get in it. It's so relaxing I find myself enjoying driving it steadily, but you can throw it round if you want some fun. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone else B)

Thanks for the help folks.

My wife told me I'm over-thinking this whole fuel economy thing and that she wants a 300. Strangely the 200 estates here fetch a higher price. I've been doing some figures and it looks like even a 300 will get considerably better economy than my current 2 litre Nissan Primera with the damn stupid CVT gearbox and 6sp tiptronic. That car has been a massive disappointment!

Cheers,

Blair.

Thanks for the help folks.

My wife told me I'm over-thinking this whole fuel economy thing and that she wants a 300. Strangely the 200 estates here fetch a higher price. I've been doing some figures and it looks like even a 300 will get considerably better economy than my current 2 litre Nissan Primera with the damn stupid CVT gearbox and 6sp tiptronic. That car has been a massive disappointment!

Cheers,

Blair.

:offtopic: Can you get the 300 in manual 5 speed where you are :question:

Unfortunately no. Can sometimes find the 200 Gita in manual, and we have heaps of RS 200s with the more powerful 4 cylinder engine in the sedan version. Most of the 98 and 99 models seem to be RS 200s. But so far as I can tell the 300 doesn't come with a manual option.

I'd love to get a sedan but I need the extra space and the folding back seats.

On a long run it's very easy to get 34-35 mpg if you use the cruise control set at 75 mph.

Flippin ‘eck – I get nothing like that. Perhaps I ought to try 75 instead of 85.

All in all I'm really happy, even if it's a bit more than I was paying before. It's well worth it though, and I still smile every time I get in it. It's so relaxing I find myself enjoying driving it steadily, but you can throw it round if you want some fun. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone else

I certainly agree with that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links