Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Oil Weight

Ben

Hello,

Anyone know what the proper factory recommended oil weight is on the IS200 w/ the 2.0 liter I-6 engine? I can't seem to find it documented anywhere underhood, and I don't have the owner's manual.

The local Lexus dealers use a one-size-fits-all solution and all cars serviced by them get 0W40. That just doesn't sound right to me. They told me I could bring my own oil next time, so I need to know what the factory recommendation is.

Thanks,

-Ben

oil grades:

-29C and below to about 10C = 5W-30

-18C to above 38C = 10w-30

about -12C to above 38C = 15W-40

-7 to above 38C= 20w-50

I am assuming as you say 0W-40 that you are in a hot country????

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Taiwan. It gets pretty hot in the summer, where temperatures in the 30s (Celsius) are quite common. Right now, we're still getting winter temperatures, which are around 12-19 Celsius.

-Ben

Castrol GT-X 0W-40 is what my Toyota dealer put in at the 40K service.

I told him I think 15W-40 is better but his reply was it is Lexus recommended :unsure: and it is what he puts in every new cars.

So, in the above list from fluff34567, temperatures aside, when would I want 10W-30, and when would I want 15W-40? What does the factory recommend?

When I was still in the US, the factory would always recommend one oil grade for a particular engine, unless your usage conditions falls outside what was considered normal usage for the majority of people. Seems getting that information out of the local dealers is next to

impossible. They'll just tell you what *they* recommend, which is usually whatever they happen to stock. They are evasive when pressed for the factory recommendation.

Thanks,

-Ben

Ben,

i use Mobil 1 0w40 tri synthetic. 0w-40 means that it can withstand both high and low temperatures. besides..if its good enough with porsche and benz...its gud enough for our Lex. but u can also opt for toyota synthetic oil....anyway...ur inline six is a toyota anyway.

secret to oil is getting it changed on time...regularly....

I have got my IS200 booked in at Lexus Bradford tomorrow for the 70K service, will enquire what oil they are going to use.. i will prefer it if they use Mobil1 0w-40 as that what i used to use on my Civic-VTi before...

secret to oil is getting it changed on time...regularly....

I agree with BruNo.... <_< <_<

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links