Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is, And Isn't, A "mod"

I have precious few mods on my car - and to be realistic - probably never will.

My windows are tinted all round - but this is for security reasons, rather than "pimpin'" reasons - you cannot see anything in my car, and as I park a lot in public carparks - thats the way I like it.

Insurance company know about the tints - so thats cool.

But - I see people posting here with a sig that lists all their mods - PIAA Wipers, EBC disks etc - and was wondering, how many of these are true "modifications" that you need to notify the insurance company about.

PIAA Silicone wipers and PIAA exteme whites surely are not true mods - don't have to notify the insurance about those.

But I am hoping to get EBC disks and pads in a forthcoming group buy (good man Gord ;) ) - my current brakes have done nearly 30k miles - so getting some in ready.

Is this classed as a perfomance modification? (don't laugh - I'm serious :blush: )

Would I need to notify the insurance company of such a change?

Or are they just classed as consumables, and they don't care what I fit?

My personal opinion is that they are consumeables.... they are a direct replacement and not an "add-on". If you got huge 6-pot racing brakes then that's a mod - it's not a straight swap for what you had but CHANGING what you had.

Kits, engine mods (again, uprated sparkplugs would not be a mod in my opinion), alloys etc.... should all be declared.

Good point Matt,

My thoughts are that EBC brake pads are a non performance or value adding consumable item and therefore not of interest to an insurance company. :)

Interesting to note though that I fitted a mesh grill and the insurance company weren't interested in that however they would have been if I fitted a full bodykit. I was told the body kit makes your car more desirable to thieves and that explains the hike in premiums. :blink:

What constitutes a body it??

Is it bumper + side skirts = bodykit (possibly)??

Or is it mesh grill + spoiler = bodykit (I don't think so) :withstupid:

Clarification ould be nice! :yawn:

One of the reason's your insurance company will want to know, about every mod, or change to the standard car, is because in the event of theft, damage or an accident, they may have to replace it.

If you've added a cosmetic or consumable part that's not on a standard car, then it can effect the value of your car.

That's why your insurance can go up.

It's not necessarily because they're penalising you because your car look's better or performs better.

EBC brakes will be classed as a performance modification. If you look on the EBC website, the greenstuff pads are classed as being for 'heavy/fast street use' i.e. performance brake pads. The turbogroove discs are also classed as performance discs. I know the main reason that eveyone fits them is because of the brake dust, but still they are a performance enhancing modification. Don't give your insurance company any excuse not to pay out. In the event of an accident your brakes will be one of the first things they check.

If you are lucky your insurance company will not increase your premium, but if they do, it won't be by much so why risk it?

Tell the insurance company about everything I have listed everything and faxed it to them wipers included got them to send me a signed copy back to prove they were notified. at the end of the day if any thing happens and they wiggle out of it you would be the one holding the can not them.

They are gits don't make it easy for them not to pay out!!

Si

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links