Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lowering Springs Not Sitting Right

aaronabbott

does anybodys lowering springs not sit correctly in there strut cups,mine dont properly,took it to a local mechanic who said that cos there lowering springs they could be shorter in material and not wound as tight thats why there not sitting right

does anybodys lowering springs not sit correctly in there strut cups,mine dont properly,took it to a local mechanic who said that cos there lowering springs they could be shorter in material and not wound as tight thats why there not sitting right

Aaron , I've never lowered a Lexus but I have done many other cars including torsion bar types , with lowering springs the spring should still fit correctly in the cup on the strut and there should be a shape in the cup at both ends for the spring end and needs to be turned into the cups before you release the torsion from the spring , sometimes there is no torsion because the spring is shorter and you only need the spring compressors to remove the old springs , but as long as you have bought direct replacement lowering springs for the model car you have they should fit fine.

Regards

Paul.

In what way are they not sitting properly? i.e. could it be that that they haven't been positioned correctly in the first place. On my GS, the coil is just open ended at one end a ground flat at the other end. So the spring is rotated to sit the open end in the cup properly and the flat end always sits flat on the top mount, if all that makes sense?? Maybe the IS setup is similar.

In what way are they not sitting properly? i.e. could it be that that they haven't been positioned correctly in the first place. On my GS, the coil is just open ended at one end a ground flat at the other end. So the spring is rotated to sit the open end in the cup properly and the flat end always sits flat on the top mount, if all that makes sense?? Maybe the IS setup is similar.

at the bottom of the cup the spring is about half inch away from the end but the mechanic said they look like its sitting at the top in the rubber bit right,i remember when fitting them there was a twist in all the actual struts espically the rears

at the bottom of the cup the spring is about half inch away from the end but the mechanic said they look like its sitting at the top in the rubber bit right,i remember when fitting them there was a twist in all the actual struts espically the rears

Is it the case that the bottom coil is not sitting against the tapered damper ledge?

Is it the case that the bottom coil is not sitting against the tapered damper ledge?

That makes more sense than the way I said it :lol:

Shared terminology mate... Text is so hard to transport into an image... I think all that needs doing here is the spring compressing and the damper twisted so the ledge is aligned with the lower helix.

Shared terminology mate... Text is so hard to transport into an image... I think all that needs doing here is the spring compressing and the damper twisted so the ledge is aligned with the lower helix.

calm down boys,thats the problem.ive tried to get some spring clamps onto it myself but there to big to get them on while the strut is still on the car.i might have to take them all off again and go from there

If you dont want to take the struts off , halford do a crappy DIY lowering kit , its basically two miniature spring compressors that stay on the car , Sh**e I know but it may save you the job of removal , check em out anyway , no harm in looking .

Hope this helps out .

Regards

Paul. :winky:

If you dont want to take the struts off , halford do a crappy DIY lowering kit , its basically two miniature spring compressors that stay on the car , Sh**e I know but it may save you the job of removal , check em out anyway , no harm in looking .

Hope this helps out .

Regards

cheers paul i did see something like that on eBay ill pick some up tomorrow

Hope this helps out .

Regards

has anyone used these?

do they work or are they a bad idea?

i'm finding it hard to get some lowering springs for my ser 3 LS 400 and wondered if these would do the job?

i could proberbly get some clamps from work which would do the job!!

save me a fortune too!

would it be safe?

Matt

Hope this helps out .

Regards

has anyone used these?

do they work or are they a bad idea?

i'm finding it hard to get some lowering springs for my ser 3 LS 400 and wondered if these would do the job?

i could proberbly get some clamps from work which would do the job!!

save me a fortune too!

would it be safe?

Matt

Not something I would do as an alternative to proper springs myself. Normally lowering springs are also stiffened/uprated to avoid bottoming out etc. This would obviously not be the case if you effectively remove one or two turns of the coil by clamping them together.

right almost done both rear and front passenger sides springs are all sitting correctly,the drivers side spring will not sit properly.ive even tried removing the whole strut assembly only for it to be slightly twisted at the bottom and when twisted back the spring twists back so it dont sit right,getting slightly annoyed now can anyone help

thanks

azz

has anybody got any ideas on this before i take the strut out and apart again later,im gonna just make sure the arroes at the top are pointing the correct way

Could you post an image of the offender.

i will do tomorrow when i get chance to get it off again weather wasnt as good today.the arrows on the top of the strut which way do they face,towards the engine or facing the front of the car

Good good. Glad you got it sorted,

Any idea what the problem was?

Stav

yeah when i was loosening the clamps off the springs the top cup had twisted just under a quarter of a turn so when refitting the bottom of the strut where the bolt goes through was twisted while the top was correct ,so had to take apart yet again and get that top cup in place and not to move before refitting so it was all in line got there eventually though..........................................................................

................................................................................

....................................................i want my coilovers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links