Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Reliability?

Hi guys,

I currently own a Saab 9-5 but am now looking to buy an IS200 sometime soon. Love the shape and have always been a fan of Japanese cars.

I know you probably always get asked this, but are these cars as reliable as everyone says??

Any common problems that appear over time??

Probably go for an older model with higher miles, so any info would be greatly appriciated.

cheers,

John

Edited for spelling.

The reliability of the IS200 is brilliant. Obviously some people have more problems than others but if it is well looked after then the majority are trouble free.

Common problems -

Inside tyre wear on the front tyres - easily fixable for around £100

Water pump leak - fixed for around £200 i believe

Sticky calipers - can be fixed but a new one is between £150 - £300

Headunits before 2001 facelift (botttom loading CD) have error 3 which makes them uselss for CD's - can be fixed but is expensive and most people go for an aftermarket system.

Bodywork chips fairly easily - cosmetic and can be resprayed

Corrosion on wheels - again cosmetic and can be refurbed for between £40 - £70 a wheel

That is all i can think of, there may be a couple more but as you can see nothing is major and highly expensive.

I have had my IS just over a year and so far i have needed the geometry on the wheels doing and new pads and discs, it has gone through 2 MOT's without fault and runs very smooth.

I would recommend the IS to anyone BUT dont buy one if you want fuel economy and i would also say try and buy one that was registered before March 2001 to avoid the new tax legislation.

pre March 2001 = £210 a year

post March 2001 = £415 (as of 2009) £430 (as of 2010)

If anything above is incorrect i'm sure someone will be able to point it out, if theres anything else i can help with just post up a question.

Thanks for the advise guys.

That's a very short list of problems compaired to the average Saab problems sheet. Reliability is probably my number one priority at the moment, so the IS200 sounds perfect. Not too bothered about MPG as the Saab's not exactly cheap to run anyway (about 30MPG on average).

I'm going to start having a look for one hopefully at the weekend. :)

Also, Is the auto a good buy??

Thanks again,

John

Hi guys,

I currently own a Saab 9-5 but am now looking to buy an IS200 sometime soon. Love the shape and have always been a fan of Japanise cars.

I know you probably always get asked this, but are these cars as reliable as everyone says??

Any common problems that appear over time??

Probably go for an older model with higher miles, so any info would be greatly appriciated.

cheers,

John

Hi

I've had two Lexus IS200 SE's and they are brilliant! Used to drive Mercedes and wasn't too sure about the Lexus when offered one - now I wouldn't drive anything else. The first one I had never gave any trouble whatsoever. The one I have now did need new brake pads (normal wear and tear) and has sailed through its MOTs! Good Luck, whatever you decide.

Just amend Top loading CD player from late 2000 not 2001.

Still wouldnt call any changes made to the IS over the years "facelift" B)

A facelift usually means more cosmetic body style changes than the IS ever went through.

Just my opinion though.

I think that is down to personal preference to be honest although the clutch on the manual is qute juddery. Probably with traffic nowadays an auto is better but i prefer a manual.

If you do decide the auto route then i would suggest maybe looking at a 300 instead as you get that bit of extra power.

Just amend Top loading CD player from late 2000 not 2001.

Still wouldnt call any changes made to the IS over the years "facelift" B)

A facelift usually means more cosmetic body style changes than the IS ever went through.

Just my opinion though.

I did put before 2001, when i say facelift they changed the headunit, added in a couple of speakers and changed the front grill slightly. Just was best word i could use to describe it thats all :)

I've had my IS200 just over a month now so can't really comment on reliability (although so far *touch wood* there has not been anything wrong at all), but at the time of test driving I was lucky enough to have the choice of 2 nearly identical models except one was auto one was manual.

I prefered the colour of the manual so this was an obvious choice for me - but upon test driving both of them I very surprisingly bought my first ever auto, it is REALLY nice to drive!

If you get the chance I'd test drive both to be sure, never thought I'd own an auto but I'm very happy with my choice. :)

I think the IS200's 1st placing in the compact exec category and also being the overall winner of the JD Power survey says it all really.

Click me!

JD Power 2007 Executive Car table

There appears to be some "anomalies" in the JD Power Survey 2007 because if you compare the 3-series versus the IS200 you would expect the 3-series to be better or at least equal in certain categories:

Interior Quality: 1 mark against 2 marks (thought IS200 is a bit plastic "fantastic"?)

Performance: 1 mark against 2 marks (surely 3-series is just as good?)

Vehicle interior: 1 mark against 3 marks (how can the 3-series have a big difference?)

Vehicle exterior: 1 mark against 3 marks (surely a 3-series owner can't rate his car so low?)

Now since the survey is based on the cars YOU drive then a 3-series owner is being very honest! Of course it could be that some anti-BMW people have done the survey and lowered the results!

But similarly for the Auto Express Driver Power 2008 survey (19 March 2008 issue) the old IS beats the old 3-series in:

These two could be expect by Lexus to beat BMW:

Comfort: 5th versus 50th

Ease of Driving: 6th versus 50th

But these especially handling - this can't be right!

Braking: 13th versus 45th

Ride Quality: 10th versus 49th

Handling: 15th versus 21st!!!!!

How can a BMW driver say his car doesn't handle that well?

The thing is the Lexus IS beats the 3-series in these customer satisfaction surveys year after year but when Auto Express, Autocar, Whatcar?, etc compare them always the 3-series beats the IS as the better car overall.

Incidentally Lexus won the Driver Power 2008 survey as best dealer again!

Watch out for the JD Power 2008 results in the new Whatcar? out on Thursday 8th May. Will Lexus be the number one manufacturer yet again? You betcha!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links