Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just found my way onto this sight. Have had my IS220d Sport about 6 months and find I have the same disappointments as everyone else. I have a rattle coming from the drivers side air vent in the cold until it interior warms up (not noticable in the hot weather), rattles that appear to be coming from a couple of the doors, and a loud squeek from the rear shelf area when it is hot. Also the gear stick gator rattles when in 2nd/4th/6th which is mentioned by others. A bit pointless making a special trip to the dealer as they tend to fade away the longer you drive the car (but that isn't really the point), and you look like a bit foolish so will mention it at the next service and see what they say. Not sure about the economy / 5th injector issue (I purchased a used model). I'm getting about 33mpg but my main commute is about 15 miles each way per day which I know doesn't maximise economy, so is probably not too bad. I guess I am disapponted with the interior build quality especially the car is great in all other ways. My previous IS200 was superb and didn't rattle at all.

hi,welcome to loc :) sorry to hear of your faults but seems a bit of a prob with the cars more so with the 220d but dont let that stop you taking it back

For me rattles completely ruin the driving experience. I have two very small rattles I've noticed when going over pothole or cat's eyes.

One seems to be near the heated seat switches and another is from the rear of the passenger door area.

Seem to come and go. Must sort that out somehow.

Just found my way onto this sight. Have had my IS220d Sport about 6 months and find I have the same disappointments as everyone else. I have a rattle coming from the drivers side air vent in the cold until it interior warms up (not noticable in the hot weather), rattles that appear to be coming from a couple of the doors, and a loud squeek from the rear shelf area when it is hot. Also the gear stick gator rattles when in 2nd/4th/6th which is mentioned by others. A bit pointless making a special trip to the dealer as they tend to fade away the longer you drive the car (but that isn't really the point), and you look like a bit foolish so will mention it at the next service and see what they say. Not sure about the economy / 5th injector issue (I purchased a used model). I'm getting about 33mpg but my main commute is about 15 miles each way per day which I know doesn't maximise economy, so is probably not too bad. I guess I am disapponted with the interior build quality especially the car is great in all other ways. My previous IS200 was superb and didn't rattle at all.

can agree with u and gary on rattles. the one thing that annoys me completely. ive expereinced the air vent rattle u are talking about (so has jamboo, think he has got it replaced). also the gear gator rattling (only notice it on 6th gear on mine). i have kept a log of everytime i hear the rattle (gear, speed, temp inside and outside, passenger -yes/no, wet/dry road, location) and will give that to the dealer when i go in next when he sorts the other problems out.

Are the rattles all the time or just when hitting a bump, pothole etc ?

Mine are only tiny rattles and only when hitting a bump.

Actually it may be something I've put in the armrest or something in the passenger cubby hole.

My missus has a habit of dumping staples out of magazines in the door cubby hole !

In my last car she'd dropped an apple core in it !!!

Agree on the rattles front. Had a rattle near centre of dash and had dealer take dash off to fix (which was succesful). Came back and a new, more annoying 'hard plastic' rattle now made on the passenger side near vent/dash. Had dash out a further two times at dealer but stil not cured. Due 20k service soon so will raise again.

Sooooooo annoying!

Welcome to the club mate.

Sorry to hear of your rattles, squeeks and woes, Jamboo will be along soon :whistling:

:winky:

Tadaaa!!!

Mine still has several, inconsistent and annoying. Not all cars suffer them, but out of 7 cars I have driven 3 had them (a mixture of MM and non MM, Auto, Manual, Petrol and diesel). The 4 that didn't were the 3 original test drives, and one courtesy car (250SEAuto with MM) which was an 07 and had only the seat creak (lugs).

It does detract and is noticeable - I've had comments and gasps from people who own BMW's - and I have to concede I haven't sat in one of those for 2 years that has a noticeable rattle...

Some are simple fix's (3rd drivers vent is OK), the centre "in dash" rattle has come back, the satnav surround creaks when you drive, the centre vents creak badly when it's warm, and not only when it goes over a pot hole but on cornerning. I've also lately noticed a tapping sound from the rear parcel shelf...Some of these I will live with until it goes as it's had the dash out and I don't want more going wrong...

All in all I think I got the friday afternoon car...it's had almost every ailment!

I just turn up the MLS and smile...

Can simply pressing the trim cure a rattle ?

My car so far is rattle free apart from one intermittent rattle which seems to come from around the passenger side just behind the seat sort of near where the rear door speaker is next to the door handle.

It might not be there but where can I check (in terms of pressing the trim areas to try and stop it) ?

Anyone report any rattles around this area and if so where exactly is it ? I'm not taking it into Lexus for that !

Jamboo ?...

easiest thing to do is get someone to sit at the back while u driving and see/try pressing any bits where it seems like the noise is coming from n see if it stops it. seems like my passenger air vent rattle is only in the cooler weather like original poster of this topic mentioned as past fewdays i havent noticed it. still think it shouldnt be there cold or hot.

Can simply pressing the trim cure a rattle ?

My car so far is rattle free apart from one intermittent rattle which seems to come from around the passenger side just behind the seat sort of near where the rear door speaker is next to the door handle.

It might not be there but where can I check (in terms of pressing the trim areas to try and stop it) ?

Anyone report any rattles around this area and if so where exactly is it ? I'm not taking it into Lexus for that !

Jamboo ?...

Well - sounds like a new one :blush: or is it in the B Post pillar (i.e. between the two doors)? That is well document as an issue on earlier cars...

PS - I mentioned a while back that the dash appeared to have dropped by a couple of MM...well the gap has grown to 3-4MM on closer inspection...the car rattled this morning far more than ever before. I'm going to book it in again... :msn-cry:

easiest thing to do is get someone to sit at the back while u driving and see/try pressing any bits where it seems like the noise is coming from n see if it stops it. seems like my passenger air vent rattle is only in the cooler weather like original poster of this topic mentioned as past fewdays i havent noticed it. still think it shouldnt be there cold or hot.

Right that's it, I've moved on from voice command guides, I'm going to invent a rattleometer !

Right that's it, I've moved on from voice command guides, I'm going to invent a rattleometer !

Can I be first to test it????

Make sure you give it a decent threshold, else my car will max it out :tsktsk: :shutit: :lol::lol:

Well - sounds like a new one :blush: or is it in the B Post pillar (i.e. between the two doors)? That is well document as an issue on earlier cars...

Jamboo,

I remember there was talk about this B pillar rattle, but was there conclusive evidence on what exactly is causing it? Because I've had it for a while now on the co-pilot side and recently have been hearing it from the driver side, as well. Thought it could be the seat belt system, but not sure.

I guess I should consider myself lucky, since these are the only constant rattles I have. Had the dashboard cracks in winter time, but now it's been silent for a couple of months. And it's just a once-a-day kind of annoyance, anyway.

Jamboo,

I remember there was talk about this B pillar rattle, but was there conclusive evidence on what exactly is causing it? Because I've had it for a while now on the co-pilot side and recently have been hearing it from the driver side, as well. Thought it could be the seat belt system, but not sure.

I guess I should consider myself lucky, since these are the only constant rattles I have. Had the dashboard cracks in winter time, but now it's been silent for a couple of months. And it's just a once-a-day kind of annoyance, anyway.

Finlex - I seem to recall 2 causes:

"Packing" needed behind panel

Seatbelt tensioning mechanism/spool

There should be some TSB's (Bulletins) - Tango might have a link???

Finlex - I seem to recall 2 causes:

"Packing" needed behind panel

Seatbelt tensioning mechanism/spool

There should be some TSB's (Bulletins) - Tango might have a link???

Okay, thanks. The pressure is on, Tango! :D

You've got it ! The rattle I am hearing is coming from the seat belt height adjuster housing.

It's actually inside the housing as the rattle can't be stopped by messing about with the adjuster.

Just been round Cornwall and Devon and my missus said the rattle was right next to her left ear.

Should be easy to fix as it doesn't rattle on my side.

Strange - I too seem to have a rattle from the seatbelt on the driver's side... right about where my ear is and that's on a brand new IS250SE MM Auto.

GaryC - yours is quite new isn't it?

Yes mate. I've PM'ed you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links