Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes Pads Need Changing

finest1

hi all,

i've noticed a scraping noise on the passenger side of the car. i checked the lexus manual and it states that it is designed that way to indicate that the brakes need looking into. i assume at this stage that it is just the pads. can i change the pads myself, or should i get someone to do it. i'm actually getting my front tyres changed so i was going to ask the mechanic to do it for me. my friend told me i can do them myself, and it will be good experience for me.

has anyone done this themselves? if so, would you recommend it, or get a pro to do them. i fear lexus will be expensive for just the brakes.

my car is a lexus gs 300 sport with 18" tyres at the front. lexus websites states the brakes are 296mm ventilated discs.

many thanks in advance

finest1 :winky:

front pads are very easy to change if you have the correct tools and any sort of mechanical experience. If you take your time it shouldn't take longer than 30 mins. per side.

However whilst you have the wheel in the air it would be a good idea to check for wheel bearing/ball joint/steering rack for play. Make sure the brake caliper is free to move in and out and check the thickness of the brake disc.

They are very simple to do mate with just a couple of tools. I don't mind whipping a front wheel off at the weekend and doing a few photo's/walkthrough if you can wait until then.

its identical to the IS200 for the brake pad removal.

if you start from the passenger side wheel:

Raise car and remove wheel.

Using a 13mm (i think) socket remove upper sliding pin bolt.

Wiggle the caliper about to free it up a bit (not sure what Nm constitutes a "wiggle")

Pivot the caliper to the right thus revealing your pads and two retaining springs that mount into the pads.

Remove springs and remove the pads.

Prepare new pads and apply a light smear of copper grease to back of pad.

fit pads into caliper bracket.

refit springs (dont forget this step as i always do)

undo the top of the brake fluid reservoir, and using something like a g-cramp and a block of wood push the pistons back.

slide caliper back over pads and refit and tighten retaining bolt.

refit wheel and torque up the bolts..

then repeat on other side...

really is a 15 min job

Tigerfish,

that would be great...for everyone in fact !

i need to source some brake pads first. the garage that is doing my tyres said he could do them for £20 but i must provide the pads.

i don't think i will be using the car on the weekend so i suppose i can wait, but i need them done so i don't cause any damage.

many thanks, look fwd to the tutorials

:zee:

just to let you know that i managed to find a site that did the brakes for £23 inc postage and VAT. unfortunatley it did not come in time so when i went to get my new tyres, the mechanic was unable to change the brakes.

hopefully tigerfish can find some time to do a picture tutorial

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links