Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've not had this personally but there was a post recently where someone else had to be rescued by RAC for steering failure

Another one to add to new IS's growing problems

mmmm... will keep you posted RAC should be here soon .... great last words

RAC turned up (in record time) chap agreed could'nt be driven - low loader arrived - car taken to Lexus Belfast - steering rack replaced (they don't know what the problem was as they don't open it, just send back to Lexus) Have'nt had car back yet - all quite mysterious really

• 3 weeks later...

Lexus replaced the sterring rack - as Lexux Belfast is a Franchise they do not repair only replace so the rack has been returned to Lexus - so don't know what the problem was!! But car returned (hire car supplied) washed & hoovered all is well

I had exactly the same problem last year on my IS250. I was relieved that it happened at relatively low speed as the steering literally locked up. It would have taken the strength of 10 men to turn the steering wheel even slightly!

Same story - RAC came out with a low loader and took it back to the dealership. The steering rack was replaced.

I spoke to my dealer and told him that had it happened at high speed, I would have been off into the scenery at the next bend as I had no steering whatsoever.

He wasnt able to tell me what had caused the fault. The racks are "sealed units" which are simply swapped out.

He did assure me however that the replacement rack had been "redesigned" to overcome this known issue.

At the time it sounded to me like a reason for a recall and reading of your experience makes it sound even more so.

Is this a IS250 only problem, or also for the IS220? as i think this is a danger thing to happen to anyone, so if its a known issue, then it should have a recall and get everything fit before somethings bad happen...

Luckly for me - the fault appeared when the car was switched off - it was fine parked up came back an hour later and the wheel was almost un-moveable. But no warning light on the dash - even when ignition turned on an off the P/S light comes on and goes off again as usual

Would be interesting to find out from Lexus what the fault was

• 1 month later...

Hi, my first post!

I have a 3 month old brand new Lexus IS250 SEL which needs a new steering rack :shutit:

This is my second IS250 and I had no problems with the first over 50,000 miles except for the sqeaky dash which the boys fixed.......but this problem apparently is a well known fault which should have been fixed with a newly updated steering rack

Cost in the order of £2,500 to Lexus.......crazy crazy lexus.

Hi, my first post!

I have a 3 month old brand new Lexus IS250 SEL which needs a new steering rack :shutit:

This is my second IS250 and I had no problems with the first over 50,000 miles except for the sqeaky dash which the boys fixed.......but this problem apparently is a well known fault which should have been fixed with a newly updated steering rack

Good news I got a new steering rack fitted today (within 24 hours of diagnosis!)

The odd thing is that the car supposedly had the modified rack which was a fix on the historic steering problems pre 2008.

• 2 months later...
Hi, my first post!

Good news I got a new steering rack fitted today (within 24 hours of diagnosis!)

The odd thing is that the car supposedly had the modified rack which was a fix on the historic steering problems pre 2008.

Had an identical problem happen to me yesterday, reversing off the drive and steer became unusable. My problem is although my car isn't quite 3 years old (06 Plate) it has done 62,000......I am going to try and get Lexus to pick the tab up for this today :(

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links