Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

First Go At Rotary Polishing On The Lexus Is200

Just a mini write up on my first go at using a rotary on my car & pretty much third or fourth go at machine polishing in total, after some practising on the girlfriends Clio :thumb:

After reading DaveKG’s excellent rotary polishing guide 2 or 3 times (@detailingworld.co.uk) , watching videos on rotary polishing and reading numerous threads in the “Machine Polishing” section of DW , I felt pretty prepared for trying the rotary on my car (Black Lexus IS200). Having used power tools before many times before, as stated in a few threads I read this would give a good idea of the feel and how to control the rotary.

The Gear:

Rotary: Silverline Orange

Backing Plate: Silverline 125mm (until 3M one arrives, hopefully tomorrow)

Pad: Megs W8006 Polishing Pad, prepped with a couple of squirts of LT.

Polish: Menzerna PO 106 FA

Technique: Zenith Point, from DaveKG’s guide.

No befores, as my camera is not the best for capturing swirls, plus I didn’t have a powerful light to help in trying to get photos of swirls in the paint. But as you can imagine an 8 year old black Lexus was going to have a fair few swirls, which it did. (Camera not the best for this)

Finished bonnet which I completed in 6 sections (After IPA wipedown)

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

A not so great attempt at a 50/50 (without any torch), so is not to clear to see.

IMG_0346.JPG

Collinite 845 Applied:

IMG_0340.JPG

And buffed:

IMG_0341.JPG

And yes the MF on the floor in this one was going in the wash :)

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

The Pad after:

IMG_0347.JPG

The Silverline:

IMG_0348.JPG

All in all I feel it went very well, I could see the polish breaking down as I was going, as described in DaveKG’s guide. No marring or holograms were left, just a clear sharp finish, LSP ready.

As for rotary control, I left the machine do the work and guided in with my right hand and it felt pretty natural, there was no hoping or tugging of the machine.

I have next week off so the rest of the car will follow then. Thanks for looking.

Nah, straight rotary, so was taking it pretty careful.

Random Orbit and Megs machine etc are pretty expensive, so I went for the silverline rotarty at £35 and just did alot of research into machine polishing so had a good knowledge base to get me going.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links