Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaky Brakes

DJDON

My 1996 LS400 Has severe squeak on front brakes. Especially in the morning (waking up the whole neighbourhood)

I had a new set of "lexus" pads fitted but the problem got worse. I bedded them in very gently hoping the noise would go but it got louder & more frequent

After 300 miles I returned to the garage who said the pads were faulty & fitted another set under the warranty.

Great! for a day or two but then the squeak returned but not so bad. then after a few weeks & 100 miles or so the squeak is back with vengeance!

It is very loud first thing but seems to clear after a mile or so down the road. It will return after parking the car for a few hours. Seems twice as bad on cold damp mornings. As I say it clears after a mile or so gently touching the pedal several times. However some days It clears but returns here & there even when the brakes are hot. It is so loud sometime that pedestrian's turn round to look. It is very embarrassing.

The garage now tell me to fit non lexus brakes & recommend "Lucas" pads. Surely this can not be right.

Has any one else had this problem with an ls400 Has any one any ideas on how to cure it? Would be much appricated.

Get an airline at the garage and direct it around the pads to get most of the pad dust away. A build up of dust can cause squeaking in the bedding in process.

It is usually because of cheap pads but obviously this is not the case with you. Try the airline first if it doesn't cure it then take the car back again.

It really does drive you nuts!!!

try adding some copperslip lube to the back of the pads

Yup, and also make sure the anti squeel shims, clips and springs are all in place too. If not, I believe you can order a full set of them as a kit from the dealer.

Many thanks guys for your rapid replies. I will try your suggestions & let you know the outcome. Yes its driving me nuts lol. I so much appreciate your help. Thank you so very much.

My 1996 LS400 Has severe squeak on front brakes. Especially in the morning (waking up the whole neighbourhood)

I had a new set of "lexus" pads fitted but the problem got worse. I bedded them in very gently hoping the noise would go but it got louder & more frequent

After 300 miles I returned to the garage who said the pads were faulty & fitted another set under the warranty.

Great! for a day or two but then the squeak returned but not so bad. then after a few weeks & 100 miles or so the squeak is back with vengeance!

It is very loud first thing but seems to clear after a mile or so down the road. It will return after parking the car for a few hours. Seems twice as bad on cold damp mornings. As I say it clears after a mile or so gently touching the pedal several times. However some days It clears but returns here & there even when the brakes are hot. It is so loud sometime that pedestrian's turn round to look. It is very embarrassing.

The garage now tell me to fit non lexus brakes & recommend "Lucas" pads. Surely this can not be right.

Has any one else had this problem with an ls400 Has any one any ideas on how to cure it? Would be much appricated.

It's going to be brake dust in the friction zone, grooved discs rubbing against the pads or the lip on the edge of the disc rubbing against a new pad.

Get them skimmed - should solve the problem straight away.

Oh yes ,fit a new shim kit,and check that u don't have a lip on the disc,i think its about 2mm B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links