Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pc Not Working Anymore

whiteman

As it say's, desktop has had a funny turn, had it for about 4yrs and up until my nephew decided the the outer box could do with replacing as it was a bit battered and a few dents. So got him one from maplins as it was cheap and he reckoned he could do it. Simply take out of one and chuck it in the other now it won't work.

The only thing that lights up is the motherboard light, no fans, no display lights nothing. It all worked fine until the change over. I have tried to short the power pins to see if it is working but still nothing.Took the Battery out to try and reset but still no joy I think he may have shorted the MB.

It is an ASUS K8N motherboard, I think it may be U/S but the light comes on. I am lost now to try and get it sorted. It is too good to dump as I quite like using it. was in the prosess of upgrading memory but that will have to wait.

Any ideas to what is wrong, it worked perfect before the dismantle. :crybaby:

Have you plugged in the additional 12v supply for the processor and bus? (Assuming it has one). does your video or any other card require a 12v supply that may be holding the reset low.

Have you tried your old power supply? It may be the power good signal on the new one. (The LED would still come on.)

You've obviously checked for short, etc. (maybe that post in a different place??) but also on the peripherals like the drives, etc. - have them all unplugged while you are trying.

I don't mean to insult you here with all these but you haven't put an LED on the reset switch, have you?

As it say's, desktop has had a funny turn, had it for about 4yrs and up until my nephew decided the the outer box could do with replacing as it was a bit battered and a few dents. So got him one from maplins as it was cheap and he reckoned he could do it. Simply take out of one and chuck it in the other now it won't work.

The only thing that lights up is the motherboard light, no fans, no display lights nothing. It all worked fine until the change over. I have tried to short the power pins to see if it is working but still nothing.Took the battery out to try and reset but still no joy I think he may have shorted the MB.

It is an ASUS K8N motherboard, I think it may be U/S but the light comes on. I am lost now to try and get it sorted. It is too good to dump as I quite like using it. was in the prosess of upgrading memory but that will have to wait.

Any ideas to what is wrong, it worked perfect before the dismantle. :crybaby:

Very unlikely that something has broken. I'd suggest something on the case is touching the mobo where it shouldn't be and causing a short.

TBH - you're unlikely to find out what's wrong without taking it out of the new case. If it were me - take it out of case. Put mobo, on a non-conductive surface - plug in CPU, RAM and vid card only - connect it monitor and power and check that it still boots.

Then look carefully on the new case when you put the motherboard back in - some cases have more metal feet than the mobo is expecting.

Golden rule though is: if your PC is working - DON'T FIDDLE WITH IT ;)

Everything out of the old case went into the new one incl powerpack. It only has a new case .

The only thing I have conected at the moment is the power switch on the MB.

Will have to take it out of the case and try without anything conected etc.

Yes I know the old saying if nothing wrong leave it alone, but nephew wanted to do it and reckoned he could do it and now he has done a runner :lol: Not to worry tho like you say it is something simple, I don't know of any decent shops where I am to fix it as they all want your money for something that it does not need..

It is so frustrating. I can say the new case is very pretty B) :hehe:

there are often two power connections to connect to the motherboard from the power supply...the big one with 20 pins and a smaller one with 4 pins...(check the cables from the power supply)

without the smaller one connected you will get the light on but nothing will power up

edited :as what geoffers basically states..make sure the 'power' on switch (from front of case)is connected properly to motherboard..those little plugs are easy to confuse

also make sure motherboard is sitting on top of the spacers keeping it from touching the side of the case and shorting...(brass screws)

chances are its something simple like this..unlikely to have shorted

:huh: Still no joy with firing the old puter back to life,

Had a good look at it and checked it isn't shorting on the case and it is ok, tried unplugging everything and connected MB only and nothing.

I have power to where you connect the switch for the front panel and have shorted it with a screw driver and nothing.

Double checked every conection and everything seems ok.

Power supply is ok as it came out of the old case, have tried a different power supply but still the same.

All I can think now is the MB is goosed, look's like I may have to drop it off at a shop to let them have a look or buy a MB and see if that will sort, just annoying that if I spend money on something that is ok. It would be a 2 minute job for soemone to sort as it sounds a very simple fix.

Any more help would be appreciated.

I got an A8n SLI deluxe in my old computer, I wouldn't describe it as a simple swap, I recently swapped the moyjerboard and there are some pi connectors that control power switch on front ( as mentioned above ) and if these don't connect to the correct pins on the motherboard then it won't power up. Is thee light on the motherboard on? What version of the A8n have you got and have you got the manual to check the connections?

I got an A8n SLI deluxe in my old computer, I wouldn't describe it as a simple swap, I recently swapped the moyjerboard and there are some pi connectors that control power switch on front ( as mentioned above ) and if these don't connect to the correct pins on the motherboard then it won't power up. Is thee light on the motherboard on? What version of the A8n have you got and have you got the manual to check the connections?

My mother board is a ASUS K8N, I have had it out on the carpet and connected the power only to the MB and all that happens is the green light comes on, nothing else, I connected the power and reset buttons too.. I have tried to see if it was in sleep mode and had a play with the jumpers to see if it made any difference but no joy!!! I can't think of anything else to do apart from take it somewhere for treatment :blink:

On the carpet? On a board of some sort and you earthed yourself before touching anything? If not it may have caused a few problems doing that alone. The static on a carpet is horrendous (even if you don't feel it).

A lot of people poo-poo the static thing. I've worked in electronics all my life. I've seen everything from nothing at all (lucky) to complete failure. All those little faults you can never identify are often caused by a little damage but not enough for complete failure.

Typical static damage inside an IC this isn't complete failure but close. Conduction and signalling will certainly suffer :

rohm_ic_ESD_damage.jpg

:hehe: I have got power, it lives for another day.....

:lol: B) I have sat and studied it for over an hour and what all you have said has helped, I have overlooked the power lead time and time again and stupid me I had put it on the wrong pin, :whistling: I have now placed it on the right pins and we have ignition B)

All I got to do now is put it all back together and see if it will do what it is supose to do.

Only one problem now is that the new case has a digital display for time , cpu temp etc well there is one lead I am not sure where to stick it, and not in my rear.... it has LAN on it.. not a problem if I can't sort it as it only has something to do with the display..

Thanks for your help chaps.. B)

Phew! You know when you said you had it on the carpet....

Great news anyway.

Does it get its temp from the board or you have a separate probe? Is it the Wake on Lan lead?

the new case has a digital display for time , cpu temp etc

Is it a gig bugg3r of a case approx ( 205x485x570mm) with colour LCD console that is round? If so that is same case as my old machine an it has power supply and probes as geoffers has suggested ....

Phew! You know when you said you had it on the carpet....

Great news anyway.

Does it get its temp from the board or you have a separate probe? Is it the Wake on Lan lead?

It has 3 seperate probes, one for HD, one for system, one for CPU. it also has an LED for something no label on it, the other lead is the LAN lead, these all go to the display on the front on the case.

Can sort the temp leads out, not sure on the LED and defo not sure on the lead that has LAN on it. The instructions that come with the new case say nothing abou the LAN lead and the instructions for the MB does not mention it either.

Everything is working on the puter but I have lost sound. Not sure if I have done anything to alter this, went into sound properties and everything appears to be working, I think!!!!

My puter is called a Decimator by Evesham, try a google search for a picture. If it's that I can tell you about the wires ........

I got the case from Maplins, did a bit of hagglin as it was the last one and got it for £20. The display is oblong and very small, approx 3.5cm wide X 2.5cm high.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links