Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Cabeling

Rabster

Ok as some of you know im very fussy about my car and my mods, i have just fitted HID's (as great as they are) the ballasts are ugly so i want to hide them not found any where yet but i will, i have all the bits to make my own customs looms from Battery to ballast etc but does any one know if there would be any harm in the following

A: Stacking both ballasts together either on top of each other or side by side

B: extending the cable coming from the ballasts to the bulbs so there not less than a foot from the bulbs etc

it may be a stupid question to be quickly answered my assumptions are that it is just wire at the end of the day the longer you make a cable the more current will drop but im not running like 200m so shouldnt be a big issue.

The only thing i am thinking is the temperature the cables seem to be of a high temperature silicone covering on the HID outputs (not a problem i have this) but is it really necesary???

of course it will all be well over the top in insulation once i have done it attention to detail and all :whistling::whistling: lol ok ok im just fusy but still

Any ideas guys....

Just the stuff you've probably thought of:

Temperature after 20 mins. Some casings get up to around as high as 60° and use the metal they are attached to as a bit of a heat sink as well as air flow. Back-to Back and it could cause an issue. Its something you would need to try.

The cables are of that design due to the 2.4Kv (or about that) lamp ignition. The cable is going to be protected more with it being in the engine bay anyway and the possible heat build up, etc. You also have to be careful of extending the cable as you will naturally increase the capacitance and after a while, a lot of ballasts then deny all knowledge of ever having met your lamp, or just commit suicide.

They vary so much it is very hard to tell without trying it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links