Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ls 400 Cambelt Change.

Hi guys. We have an LS 400 in the family now. I'm looking at changing the Cambelt. Its a 98 model with the VVTI engine.

Are there any special tools needed to do this?

Whilst its in bits it seems a bit daft not to swap the water pump as well.

Thanks Guys.

I was expecting the the crank Pulley to be hard to shift through past experiences with both my GS and Supra.

The pulleys will be swapped as well. It seems straight forward enough.

I heard a whisper that the front bumper has to be removed on the VVT engines. Can anyone confirm??

Thanks Guys.

I was expecting the the crank Pulley to be hard to shift through past experiences with both my GS and Supra.

The pulleys will be swapped as well. It seems straight forward enough.

I heard a whisper that the front bumper has to be removed on the VVT engines. Can anyone confirm??

The crank pulley bolt is damn tricky without the right tools. I had my 98 serviced at a toyota dealer because I chickened out of the job. They used air tools to rattle that sucker off, they didn't even have to remove the radiator. However they did manage to leave a camshaft position sensor wire rubbing on the new cambelt and a hundred miles latter the engine went crazy. Easily fixed but even the "experts" get it wrong.

I replaced the cambelt (age only, still had miles to go but it was truly stuffed), water pump, tensioners and pulleys and main crank seal. However the camshaft seals were too much work, cams have to be diassembled and the VVti is not user friendly.

Good luck!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links